Like to say hello to the community

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Like to say hello to the community

Post by Guest »

Came across this great site by accident, and im so glad i did as I've been an avid fan of this game since I first bought it on the Atari St many moons ago, I soon upgraded to the Amiga and bought a copy on that system too :)

I'm still a game addict and I've played many titles, but none have given me greater pleasure than Dungeon Master.

Anyways enough of my banter, nice to be a part of a like minded set of folk.

Best Wishes

JK
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

for all you ST folk.. notice he said "upgraded" to Amiga ;)

Anyway, greetings to the DM community. I'm sure you will find a lot here that should interest you. It's certainly kept me busy since 99.

There are various clones at work as well as editors. You will find there are also some great new dungeons to play such as the currently popular Conflux II uses the CSB for windows engine. RTC is annother decent revision on the orriginal DM it too has editors in the making and a lot of power.
MAny people with their own stories and ideas.. occasionaly some new artwork done both fan art as well as new graphics being used in game.

I can go on and on.. feel free to look around

moo
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

cowsmanaut wrote:for all you ST folk.. notice he said "upgraded" to Amiga ;)

moo
:lol:

I thought that old chestnut had been settled long ago. :wink:
Don't be scene or herd!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

hello and welcome!
julian karswell
Neophyte

Post by julian karswell »

thanks for the welcome:D..
I upgraded to the amiga after seeing , I think it was barbarian by psygnosis, but my biggest decision to upgrade was the soundtrackers.
The demos created on there and the awesome music, I knew I had to have one:)

If I can help out in anyway, please feel free to ask, im sure there is something I can help out with.

regards jk
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Welcome to this place!

If you still have your original floppies, you can help the CAPS project.
Look at the home page on my web site for more information about this.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

orriginal floppies? for amiga?

I have my DM1.. it's the last version though. Which I think you already have.. so I guess I doesn't matter.. ;)

moo
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

If it is the version 3.6 (English, French, German), then CAPS already released that version (it is not copy protected).
If it's another version, then they might still be interested.

They are also interested in non Amiga disks: Atari ST, PC, etc...
WolfHeart
Apprentice

Post by WolfHeart »

Upgrading? or was that down grading? :D My roots began with what I believe was the best home computer on the market. The Atari/ Having had the Atari 2600 and provably over one hundred carts for it the name Atari to me meant FUN. I was not a young person at the time though like most, I was in my late 20s. I looked over the whole computer market and purchased an Atari 400, basic cart, and a Atari 410 cass. The total seemed alot to spend at the time, almost 400.00 After adding a game for it. Later I added an Atari 800 and 2 Percom disk drives to my setup for only 1100.00 US :) Life was good!

I bought other systems as well, when I could buy them used, sold by people moving up to an Atari system. :o To name a few Commodore 64, TI/99, and a Timex Sinclair 1000. I few others I have omitted. These systems had some neat hardware and sofeware as well that come with them. I believe the 80s Rocked. I stayed with the Atari because in the day no other computer came close to its abilitys hardware wise. Support wise and marketing IMHO Atari never had a clue, and I have to say beyond a shadow of a doupt Commodore kicked major butt. The C64 was just plain inferior to the Atari 800 hardware wise but they had it altogether as far as marketing. There was more software and hardware for the C64 it was easy to see that it was the most popular computer ever sold. (An this coming from a devote Atari user :lol: )

Well many of the folks that left Atari designed a 2nd Generation Atari 800. Eventually it would be named the Amiga. Yes As always Commodore had the sence and marketing savy to snap up purchase of it in the early stages and to successfully market it. IMHO except for lame 256k version of the Amiga 1000, it was state of the art at the time. Atari now owned by the Tremels release the 520ST to the Atari community but I believe it was the 2nd generation C64 without the marketing Savy or 3rd party support that the C64 had enjoyed. Atari had by this time lost much of its support by 3rd party and not even the Tremels who had helped make the C64 software and userbase what it was could not affectively market it against the Amiga. Plus hardware wise the Amiga was much better.

Back to me, though I was very involved with the Atari community, I still bought an Amiga 1000, and a 500 as well. I was not much of a Commdore supporter though and I stayed on the sidelines of that community. If asked what my favorite systems were I have to say Atari. If asked what the best and most supported system was I would have to say the Amiga. Not that it matters any more, I have a very good Amiga emulator as well as an Atari one too. I sold all my computers other than the IBM compatables long ago but my oldest son who is 17 now has a 520 ST, and a Atari Falcon, besides his 1800+ AMD clone
[/u]
julian karswell
Neophyte

Post by julian karswell »

nope, upgrading :D
I firmly believed Atari St was the best home computer on the market, until I had an amiga demoed for me.

I learned music from the old soundtrackers on the amiga, and moved on to cubase and such on the pc.

I wonder if I'd be as much in love with music writing softs as much today if I hadnt been heavily involed in the amiga tracker scene - who knows?.

Very rare I use emulators now, I have a quick blast on the snes and amiga emu's on my sons xbox, as well as the c64 sometimes.

Cheers J
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I would have to say that Commodore when looked at for advertisements.. SUCKED. They never advertised the Amiga systems at all from my knowledge. No one (except amiga users and ST users) seemed to know anything about them. The were not terribly expenisve since I was easily able to buy a 500 with my summer job along with my first game which was in fact DM. They had stereo sound and kick ass graphics. Support as you say was good too.. took them a little while to get me back my 500.. but when it came back they had upgraded the kickstart for me.

You are right about them being roughly the same system but from my sources it was not developed as the ATARI first.. the man who worked on the hardware architecture for the Amiga had a bitter dealing with commodore and so partway through left them and went to Atari.. thus the reason the hardware is so very similar and it only requires about 16k to emulate ST programs on the Amiga. However, it was the people at Commodore who made the Amiga so much more after the fact.

moo
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Can't beat my old Intellevision with the 4k cartridges and the original RPG, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Citadel for the Acorn electron was a fantastic game too.

Anybody ever have an Amiga 4000?
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Never had an A4000 :( too pricey, although eventually i towered an A1200 with HDD 040 and CD-RW it was nice. Now I have another 030 A1200 but no mouse but I still use UAE for Personal Paint 7.1 and Colonization. :D
Don't be scene or herd!