new avatars

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

new avatars

Post by cowsmanaut »

if I did it right.. there should be 9 new user avatars in the cowsmanaut's portraits.

enjoy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Mr.Zip is here again -- Compressed down from 108Kb to 18Kb -- with no obvious loss of image quality....

Out of interest Cow, how do you create your JPGs? They are always very large!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well when I did my compression I saw image degredation.. I set it to the least amount of visual loss for the size. I can see the degredation in them now from your changes. For me it's plain as day however, I work within the medium to maintain the maximum detail I can while using any compression. Where as it seems you focus on "acceptable" loss.

Anyway, I found that I could not go below level 7 compression with photoshops jpeg settings without starting to see the common issues with Jpeg compression things like the squares, excessive blurring, and contrast burning. That last one is very apparent on the ninja with her eyes..

Granted you can still make out the images and the loss is minimal but I can immediately see it. This is really the first time I payed any attention when you re-compressed something.. just took your word for it in the past. :)

Anyway the loss is obvious to me. I'll set up a comparison for you to look at.. moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I do understand where you're coming from, and I do agree that there is some degradation, but I simply don't see the point of avatars being of high quality, especially considering the data transfer issue discussed in another thread. I doubt the average 'man-on-the-street' would really notice the differences unless you pointed them out.

Don't worry about a comparison -- agree to disagree? And how come you're on this forum at 4 in the morning!!?? ;)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I sent it email to you anyway.. did it right away :)

I'm on at 4am because it's newyears and wanted to see what was up.

As for the average person noticing I asked my GF to look at the side by side and she noticed it. She is artistic to a point but not graphically inclined as we are. So I dunno how average that counts as ;)

anyway.. cheers
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I like the Chani portrait a lot - is it a new one? I'm remembering you either showed the picture once already or wrote about it - the hair effect with the downcast look is very nice!

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

these are all from previous paintings I did over the past year.. some invovling DM some not but aplicable to certain characters so I just did a crop and adjust.

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

while i'm sure its painfully obvious to you the degredation, looking at them just now (as a layman who remembers how they looked as part of the full pcitures) i think they look fantastic, so there you go

i agree, chani looks fantastic, and the ninja/leyla faces also look great
Just oput of interest - is the leyla picture part of a new leyla picture, becuase i am sure i have seen it before but i don't rememebr it as being leyla...

edit: just for interest, the 'beowuuf' opposite isn't the 3kb gallery one...it's the original 10kb version, that is stored on the chaos.zpc site
I'm right in thinking this isn't knockign the bandwidth then. yes?
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

As I said they are all from paintings I've done over the past year so if you think back.. I haven't really done any new characters though I probably should finish those I did not get done yet. Perhaps even redo some of those I've done already since I've gotten a fair bit better I think.

Anyway, most of these are not from DM and as such I just thought of who they looked like and just called them that for the sake of keeping the mood of the board. :)

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Ahh there will be no mutiny if they are called differently I think ;o)

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There's another new avatar in Cowsmanut's folder -- a new dragon! Very nice.

I've also reorganised and updated the quicklinks at the top of the page.