Party selection advise

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
James Lloyd

Party selection advise

Post by James Lloyd »

ive started up a new game and chose my 3 other characters which were ALIAI, CLETUS, and EQUUS. i chose CLETUS and EQUUS for my front row fighters and TORHAM and ALIAI for my rear magic casters (even though they dont have a lot of mana but training them is easy). i'd like to know who you would choose instead and why. thanks for the advise from you all in advance.

James Lloyd

P.S. is there a way to remove torham from the party? if so, please let me know.
Christopher

Re: Party selection advise

Post by Christopher »

Cletus is a great choice. I usually have him along with Bane. I used to pick Equus for a fighter but I don't pick him as much any more. Instead, I go for Kol Del Tac. I like Bane because he is already a great fighter, has high health, high dexterity and good strength. Cletus may be slow with only 30 for dexterity but this is backed up by his 60 strength. He has high health also. Most people, it seems, think that anti-fire is very important and Cletus has the highest rating for this. Kol has great strength, dexterity and health but he does have a couple weaknesses that he starts out with. He has no mana, which for me isn't a problem, but he also has a low stamina rating which means he can't fight a long time. However, his stats go up quickly so he doesn't get much time with his weaknesses. Equus also has his strengths and weaknesses. All of which are evident when viewing his stats. However he does start off with a high luck rating (supposedly) and I like that he has a Torso Plate.
For magic, I use Anders or Saros. Anders is a great wizard and has a lot of mana, and so is Saros. I don't like Aliai because he is just average. He doesn't stand out with a great statistic strength or weakness, and he looks boring. He reminds me of Zed from Dm, another character I didn't like. However, don't let me talk you out of using Aliai. If he works for you then great. All that being said, does anyone ever use Uggo the Mad?
Craig

Post by Craig »

I use Torham in front and I like Kol Del Toc and Odo as the other fighter. Odo can become a great wizard, but Kol can become an all around great fighter. For wizards I like Graen and Het Farvil. Anders could work instead of Het, but i like Het's Wisdom. What do you think ppl? I think that not using Torham as a fighter is a waste of a potential wizard.
Paul Evans
Novice

Post by Paul Evans »

Concerning the party selection, I took scientific approach and worked out the characters average stats and came up with the following, the best party to take into skullkeep would be Kol Del Tac (ave 47.85) Cletus (47.57) Torham (45.57) and Anders (44.85). The worst average was Equus (41.85) a character which a lot of you select. My party consists of Torham, Bane =8th best (43.71), Seri =13th best (42.57) and Het 12th best (43.42)
Now this theory gives you the characters with the best average which some of you may disagree with as you may end up with a very average character (Aliai and Zed dm) but it would go a long way to get the magic 60 with these characters and a lot of you have mentioned these characters already as being good.
rasss

Post by rasss »

okay, but I wanna remove torham from the party !!! PLEASE HELP !!! .. not only editing the picture, whole character with statistics ..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

While I'm sure the hex editing would be no more difficult that hackign a party in DM, such as Dmute does, no one that I know of has released an editor that would do everything (completely alter the stats, or swap champions)
Diriyando

Post by Diriyando »

I choosed Torham and Cletus as fighters (but I'm doing more magic, especially later in the game), because they're strong and Cletus can carry many heavy objects.
As wizards and priests I used Saros, who gains exerience very fast and Seri, who has about 30 Mana from beginning.

Once I played with Uggo, andi it's okay, you can compare him with Torham, even when he is not so powerful. But when you use Uggo and Torham as fighters you will have to use more magic, becuase they're not as strong as Cletus or Bane.
gobleteer
Apprentice

Post by gobleteer »

I always choose characters for them, not their stats. I'm a seriously scary roleplayer on this game, even by myself.(And I'm not In any other games, no idea...)

I like Equus, Seri, Graen, and sometimes Anders, Cletus, or that one shadow guy(forget his name).

I mostly ignore the stats, except maybe their initial levels. And of could Cletus has the only Illumulet!(even in the store! This is way better than any stinking rope!)
Sar Master - 1%
G! d- s:- a15>? c++++(+) UL-@ P>++ L+ E? W+++$
!N>++ o? K- W-(+++) O? M?>+ V? PS++ PEY? PGP?
T+++() 5-->? X- R+++ tvb++++ DI@ D? G++ e->* h! !r !y(-)
Telrunya
Neophyte

Post by Telrunya »

I prefer to go strongman. Torham, Bane, Equus, and Cletus. The magic levels may rise alittle slowly but they get high enough to do the job. I rotate them all through to raise all their levels. Bane usually winds up with more mana by the time he is an adept than Torham.
Sandman
Apprentice

Post by Sandman »

IMHO the best party is Torham and Cletus for fighting then Saros and Seri for casting. This is the party which I like the most (even for their looks). Later in the game I 'm always training all of my characters in every school. If you go this way, you can take almost any champion :wink:. And you have real supermans!
Sometimes I replace Cletus with Cordain, but that's just because he's my favourite (don't ask me why :) ) and I am always training him as an universal, because I think he is not very keen in a specific class.
When I was playing DM2 for several first times, I took Bane or Equus for second fighter or Graen instead of Seri. He's a good magician, but I like Seri more (she's a woman). Het is a good choice too, but she really needs some training in the beginning.
I also think that choosing a party according to average stats is not the best idea (but not the worst), 'cause I think that DM2 can be completed with any party.
But I do not consider myself a DM pro, so...
creating balance since 1987
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I used to do what Sandman did and pick those characters with the highest starting levels (Bane, Seri, Saros), but recently I tried a new approach: I picked cahracters with the highest corresponding stats. That would be:

Torham (default)
Cletus (fighter)
Anders (priest)
Graen (wizard)

Too bad there's no resurrection in DM2. Anyway, these characters are relatively weak in the beginning, but near the end I noticed they tended to perform better than characters who start with higher levels but lesser stats. Stats really do make a difference in the long run, if not in the beginning.

These guys also give you hella money (+3 gold, +1 silver), which is great for purchasing your starting equipment — and I should also point out that Graen is the only character in the game who has rope. Hardly a deciding factor, but it's a nice touch.

Honestly, I never thought of putting Torham in the back and choosing a second fighter. I'll have to try that after I re-install Virtual PC.
Sandman
Apprentice

Post by Sandman »

Now I see... My characters really are the highest levels (except Cletus), never noticed before :D ! I don't understand why reincarnation was put away. Maybe it was for the ice-boxes idea :wink: .
I will try Tom's party just when I'll be able to run DM 2 on my machine. It looks interesting.
You see the different approach, when money is present in DM 2? I think that DM is a real outsider in the series due to its new features.
Graen is really the only one with rope, (it has something to do with Leyla :P ) but as far as I can remember it is the only rope in the game excluding shops!
Just who are the richest adventurers in Skullkeep?
creating balance since 1987
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Wealthiest Characters

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Torham is number one, of course. He starts with a green gem, 3 gold coins, and 1 silver coin (116 copper).

Kol Del Tac starts with four gold (64 copper), making him the second wealthiest adventurer.

Het Farvil starts with 3 gold and 3 silver (60 copper).

Aliai Mon starts with 2 gold and 3 silver (44 copper).

Equus has a money box with 2 gold, 1 silver, and 2 copper (38 copper) — not to mention his torso plate, worth a pretty penny.

Cordain has 2 gold and 1 silver (36 copper). He also has a rapier — the most powerful starting weapon in the game — and a scale hauberk.

Everyone else carries negligible quantities of cash — but you might keep an eye on equipment: Bane has a sword, Odu has a staff (+5 mana), Saros has a staff and Cloak of Night (+10 dexterity), and Tresa Vulpes has a Jewel of Symal (+6 anti-fire).

Don't forget: there's a money box in the Temple of Vi that contains 2 gold and 6 copper coins (38 copper).
WolfBlooded

All fighters, all wizards

Post by WolfBlooded »

Im not a hard-core gamer, but i started with torham zed and cletus on front and Seri and Het Farvil on the back... good fighters at front and good wizards on back... with time i would switch them so i got a relativly good party of all fighters/wizards/priests. Of course i took my looooooooong time to train them. Don't use the ninja/thief mode, though. just to get the stamina up. Any ideas to improve ?
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

For training ninja levels you have the following options

first of all, throw EVERYTHING you find at least once! *do not forget to switch the leader from time to time
A good place to train is at a spot where there are those dinosaurs walking around (pretty tough at the start, but you get food(shank?) and can sell it or eat it). You may switch to punch mode. Use the stab command, i do not know what weapon raises ninja levels(sth.like diamond edge from dm1).

you can hold a club in the action hand of both of your front fighters, who should throw them and then automatically switch to a rapier or sword(ect.).
Your rear characters are only throwing or shooting.
THis way you have a lot to collect but you gain a lot of ninja levels.
Throw and then go into melee...

Try to use potions for better strength and dexterity.

Use rope, but watch your stamina value!

eat ~stat enhancing~ berries fighter ninja wizard priest levels increase temporarily.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

zoooom wrote:eat ~stat enhancing~ berries fighter ninja wizard priest levels increase temporarily.
What berries ?
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I think he's talking about the fairy cushions. They give you a temporary boost to strength, and a negative hit to something else (wisdom I think). Don't eat the spirit cap. . . it's worth way too much money, and it only lowers your stats. In fact, I suggest you don't eat any mushrooms because they're worth a load of money. You can also use the spirit cap to make blue steele swords, worth an ubiquitous amount of cash (not to mention it's the second best melee weapon).
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Tom Hatfield wrote:You can also use the spirit cap to make blue steele swords, worth an ubiquitous amount of cash (not to mention it's the second best melee weapon).
That's new to me... how do you do that ? I sell everything i pick up (except those "bronto steaks")
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The cauldron of the vexirk king can be used to create a few nice items, such as...ermm... *runs*

I beleive blue steel swords, serpent staves, and one or two other things anyway. There shoudl be a few scrolls closeby that tell you.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

No scrolls found - spank the vexirks (yes / no)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

(yes yes yes yes)
I think there is an alcove with one scroll close...I'd have to play again to find it

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”