Race to the Ful Ya Pit

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rain

Post by rain »

i just reincarnated plague trained him to adept wizard, craftsman priest, novice fighter, apprentice ninja... His stats are way lower now. this CSB game im playing off of is very old, from maybe a year ago or more, i think it was reincarnated somehow with the same type of effect as what you get if you reincarnate with 'DM Rules'. This doesnt halve his HP mana and stamina when reincarnated like it normally does (200 health and 90 mana free then).

ill have to try it with a fresh new game now and see if i can beat my record (all i need is speed boots!)

-rain`
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Nice one with the record, even if it might not count, but the under 10 minute time is coming so watch out!
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

yeah, im definately going to try now with a new plague, its going to be harder but im sure under 10 minutes is definately doable with some luck
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I know this is off topic, but are you still working on your CSBedit/DMextract tools rain? I have some questions about them which I think should be in the CSBWin or Tools forums...
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

As far as CSBEdit/DMExtract goes, i havent touched them in over a year (modification dates are march of 2003). It is feasable to continue working on them if you have requests but I don't have as much free time as i did back then (Im in college atm).

As far as questions about them in CSBWin/Tools forum there are a few threads that date back months ago, Theres too much to browse through so just make a new thread with any questions you have I'll check them out.

You can always find me in IRC as well, im usually idle but i'll get back to you if you ask any questions there. irc.quakenet.org #dungeonmaster is where some of us hang out (and have been hanging out for years!)

-rain`
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'll try iRC but I haven't used it for years; in the meantime, this was the main post I wanted answered: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23650
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i remember irc. that's how i discovered this site and i remember talking to rain, we were only 2 people in the channel :)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

While my machine is on, I usually idle around in #DungeonMaster at quakenet too. It's been more then 2 people usually during the last time, but it has become a bit quiet, so I'd like to invite all of you (many of you probably have a mIRC or Trillian session open anyway) to meet there!
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Well, the fastest time I have gotten is 10 minutes and 37 seconds, with only one mess up because of a Demon near the end, and a few very minor things. So if EVERYTHING is perfect under 10 minutes might be possible but since there is only a 1 in 8 chance of the boots of speed appearing each time, i'm sick of starting and restarting waiting for them, so i'm stopping for now. So thats where the record stands for CSB with 1 reincarnated character, no saving or loading, training in the prison allowed.
If anyone had every said CSB could be done in just over 10 minutes 2 years ago, i would have laughed and said completely IMPOSSIBLE!:)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Since this is such an improvement over the old record, you should
ship it all to me and we can package it up to add to the movies
on dmweb. Or replace one of the old ones.......remember the
amazement when we broke the one-hour record?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I think that masterpiece should be included in the CSBWin-package a priori.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Paul, I sent it, did you get it?
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I just realised while playing there is a second way to get the Ruby key without using that Onyx key or picking up and putting down the vorpal blade. If you blast your way through the Iron grate in the first room with the flying fireballs, teleports and rives, then do the "prove you are a wizard" with the zokathra, then flick that switch on the bridge and turn around and use the teleporter.
Then you appear in next area, which i thought you couldnt get any further in, but it seems if you flick the all three switches in that alcove the Coatle with the orange gem is released, so if you kill him and throw the gem on the pressure pad which he came from, you can continue on and get they Ruby key.
I havent explained it very well, but if you've played through the area you'll know what I mean. I was wondering if anybody else knew this way? I never knew it was possible. It means you can save the onyx key, and means you need one less item (because of the zokathra and vorpal blade) in completing the game. I'm planning on making a game with minimal items used and minimal monsters killed, so thats why i was interested.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

It is all packaged as CSB_Record10373.rar at

http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin

I've written Christophe to ask if it can be included on dmweb.
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

yeah antman that is the front way of doing it, using the onyx key is actually like a secret backdoor area thats supposed to be easier and quicker =]
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Congrats antman!!You burned some rubber there!!
The funniest part is, where you race past the perplexed lord chaos straight to the ful ya pit!!
He didn´t think to meet you that soon (and that short).
What a laugh!!

Post by Guest »

how do you view the movie?

Post by Guest »

oh, heh, sorry, found the replay...

Post by Guest »

damn nice, ive tried to do dain first quite a few times but the problem i had was that when i got to the cuoatl there was no speed boots there (infact there was nothing there, the gigglers hadn't run their course yet =[) so i figured doing ros first was manditory =]
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I thought this aswell, but you need luck with the thieves aswell as luck with the items. The shooter starts with a chest full of food, then the boots of speed, then a compass etc. I think they are fired when the thieves walk on those teleports, and there is a one in eight chance of the right teleporter being active. In quite a few of my earlier games a have to wait a while before an item flies in and usually not the boots. But if you end up waiting for too long, you know the boots are fired second, so they probably went somewhere else. This game was extra lucky as the thieves moved fast and the boots were already there.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I'll put this new record on the site today
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I have updated the movies archive on my site to include the new record.