[Custom dungeon] Theron's Quest Conversion [DM PC, CSBWin] [Guillaume Bastard (a.k.a Sphenx)]

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sphenx
On Master

[Custom dungeon] Theron's Quest Conversion [DM PC, CSBWin] [Guillaume Bastard (a.k.a Sphenx)]

Post by Sphenx »

Platform: DM PC, CSBWin
Author: Guillaume Bastard (a.k.a Sphenx)
Email address: gb_sphenx@hotmail.com
Date published: 2004, July 28
Date last updated: 2004, August 8

You can now play the converted maps of Theron Quest using either DMPC or CSBwin.
Enjoy!

Notes:
The 7 dungeons from Theron's Quest for PC Engine have been converted so that they can be played with Dungeon Master for PC or Chaos Strikes Back for Windows.
A custom graphics.dat file is also included for Chaos Strikes Back for Windows.

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

In the original file all the levels were in a single file.
Why could we not add another level as a jumping-off
point to any one of the seven quests? And a way back to
the beginning?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nice to see you back with a bang : )
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I totally agree with Paul. There two possibilities:

1) put together all levels in one dungeon, plus a jumping point; that would make a total of 27 levels. If CSBwin can handle it, then there is no problem.

2) put all together with the jumping point, but keeping them in a 16-levels dungeons (and then still compatible with DMPC), but that would make some minor problems with mixing different quests on same level (mainly level XP-multiplier and creature color).

Well, I just imagine many would prefer solution 1)

One bit that annoys me much is that the "champion vs. creature balance" of the quests is just too much in favor of champions. It prevents much fun for regular players. I would suggest to make a more balanced version..

But before, let's players try this current version and report any missing stuff or wrong stuff if any ...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woohoo! How did you get the data files off the CD?
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I got the data from the image files of the CD: only two files (tq02 and tq19) are binary data (other are musics).
So I looked into them to see if I could find something that seemed as maps, according to what I know about the DM dungeon structures.
First I found dungeon layouts description in (tq02), and a little after I found the items records not too far.
But the whole structure is different from standard DM, and some data (as level headers) are arranged in a different way.
I took me some time to understand them enough to make a semi-automatic extraction process.

I also noticed that the 7 maps where one after the other, within blocks of exactly 256 Kb (I will call them "quest-blocks").
Actually, there is maybe only 10% - the maps - that I can (understand) extract within these "quest-blocks".
And I still need hard-coded address offsets to extract the maps for each quest.
I suspect that there are also graphics, maybe sounds and item statistics in there - axe gfx is graphically visible in the hex-file.
But I am not going to deal with this.

Recently, I tried to exchange two "quest-blocks" within the tq02.iso to see if the game was able to accept such changes .. but it did not work.
Froze the game. Then it makes clear to me that there are some needed data outside the "quest-blocks" that tell how to read them ..
In other words, one would need to understand more than the blocks to program a real "quest-blocks" reader/writer.
Anyway, I have doubt someone would find interesting and useful to do so.

Those interested can get those "quest-blocks" at
http://dmweb.free.fr/Forum/read.php?f=7&i=562&t=562
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Sphenx wrote:But before, let's players try this current version and report any missing stuff or wrong stuff if any ...
After playtesting :
- Champions : Pentai is too strong (550 health for a craftsman fighter !), there's a "WINDOW" hit when you use "The Conduit", don't know what it's supposed to do...
- TQ1 to TQ5 : no problem to complete the quests, but monsters are very easy to kill. i probably missed many hidden stuff... especially in TQ5.
- TQ6 is very very weird so i loaded the dungeon into CSBuild. Ruby locks are opened with empty flask instead of ruby key, money lock is opened with a green magicbox (there's none in the dungeon) instead of gold coin.
- haven't tested TQ7 yet
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I tested TQ1 and TQ2. It's ridiculously easy!!! Champions are overwhelming more powerful than monsters.

@linflas: The "window" action of the conduit: test it when looking at a wall...

TQ2: the room with the 3 gem holes: any gem hole can absorb infinite gems. Each gem hole should work once only.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Some more bugs:

TQ6: see linflas comments about coin slot and ruby locks
lock opened by ruby key instead of topaz key

TQ7: locks opened by empty flask instead of topaz key
demon generators work only once instead of always

Well, it's a nice dungeon, combining puzzles from DM and CSB. Thank you for converting it, sphenx.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

oops.. sphenx, forgot to thank you too :) this is excellent work !
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Concerning the wrong activation locks: I corrected this, some activation items were shifted by one slot ...
For your information, that also means that in the first level of "city of formicia", the trolin generators are now activated by "clubs" and not by "morningstar", which makes more sense ..

you can get the new version still here:

@zyx:
in TQ2, the room with the 3 gem holes:
Mhh... I checked that 2 holes are "activated once" and 1 is not.
Did you play the original? I am not sure if the infinite hole was there, but I have the feeling it was.
Anyway, it appears this is not a conversion problem but rather how it was designed. Should it really be modified?

In TQ7, for the demon generators, I don't really know how it is supposed to be in the original. I should inspect more. Maybe the creature generators work a little different from those in DM?

@linflas:
I agree Pentai is too strong - it even seems to be a debug character! Anyway, all champions are too strong. I even suspect that the engine of TQ makes them a little weakier than they are within the engine of DM.
life_matrix
Neophyte

Post by life_matrix »

you can get the new version still here:
:roll: I did go there and successfully downloaded the TQConvertedDungeonData.rar file. I could even open it up just fine using CoolZip and looked at the contents. However, whenever I tried to extract the files, it kept giving me error messages about the file being corrupted, damaged, incomplete or some such thing. I also tried to extract the files using WinRAR, expecting a program designed for .RAR to work. ...No such luck. I even used WinRAR to try to fix the errors in the damaged file. Still did not work... :( Finally, I downloaded the file again and, this time, a straight download without my download manager. STILL - same problems. Has anyone been able to sucessfully use the new version?

Are there any mirrors for this file or could someone please post a new one? It would be much appreciated.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I just downloaded it a minute ago and unpacked it with WinRar 3.30 successfully.
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

Your version of Winrar may be too old. I had to upgrade winrar a few months ago to be able to open recent archives.
I made a few tests : files from TQConvertedDungeonData.rar can be extracted with version 3.2, but not with version 2.8 ( files are visible, but you get an error message if you attempt to extract them )
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Well, I'd love to, but the links are broken in the first post. I got the updates for 3, 6, and 7, but that's all I could get. Is there anywhere else I can find the rest of TQ for DMPC and CSBWin? Thanks.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Sphenx, could you put that to the "Custom Dungeons" topic on the forum? Thx
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I have updated the links on the first post of the forum thread.
You can now download the archives.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Thank you Christophe.
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Re: Play Theron Quests with CSBwin and DMPC

Post by $eoub!!! »

Sphenx wrote:You can now play the converted maps of Theron Quest using either DMPC or CSBwin.

catch the files at:

Enjoy!
Well... That link seems to be dead :?
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

The forums over there are migrating...here are the new links
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/990
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/990
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

1 000 000 thanks :D
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Your welcome :D
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

where to download Theron`s Quest for CSBwin? The links are dead.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i downloaded it recently, so the links are active somewhere. look on the encyclopedia directly or the dungeon list
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

http://dmweb.free.fr/files/CustomDungeo ... ersion.zip
OK, got it. Thanx Beo! BTW. I never played TQ...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler