how to get sound from old games like DMPC

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

how to get sound from old games like DMPC

Post by Guest »

just passing through.
has anyone tried the DosBox emulator for running these old games? You can find it by searching yahoo.co.uk for DosBox.
You run DosBox and get an emulated dos window. you can then run and install dos games as normal. It emulates soundblaster, etc. I've just run DM PC through it and the opening title music and all the in game sounds are perfect (the opening music is a bit stuttery but thats cos it's taking up all the CPU time running the emulating. you need a fast modern PC.

Ctrl-F12 speeds up the emulation until it's hogging 100% of the cpu time.

I haven't tried it with other old games but since the soundblaster emulation seems perfect i'm sure it will work ok. I wanted to play the original Elder Scrolls game - Arena - which is now available for free download from the Bathesda website, and they actually give a link (a bad link though) to DosBox so they obviously think it's good!!!

just thought i'd let you know
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Yes, DosBox is quite remarkable. The folks here commonly use it
for DMII because DMII refuses to run in the DOS window of any Windows
system.

Post by Guest »

Ah. I scan these forums so I'm quite surprised I have only discovered DosBox for the first time this morning and only because I was excited at the prospect of being able to run Arena.
Incidentally, don't you think this is a step in the right direction by Bathesda Softworks - releasing their old game from 1994 for free on the web for fans rather than coveting it to their breast and going "no, copyright and all that!"

nice if other companies followed suit.