EOB extract files?

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Relig
Craftsman

EOB extract files?

Post by Relig »

Hey, I was wondering how to extract the monsters from EOB 3.

Is there such a program that will do this? Any one know?

Cheers!
Relig
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

XWE will open the EYE.RES file from EOB3. It can save out sounds and palettes, but i've not been able to save out images. They appear to have no decoder, so unless you're smart and can write a program to decode the image data, you'll have to do screengrabs...

http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Thanks Gabit, I'll give that a try.

I don't know how to write a decoder :-(

Would this program work the same for EOB 1 & 2? Or same issue, need to do screen grabs?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, it'll extract eob1&2 but you need to mess about with palettes and the like. I've already done all that hard work: grabbed the monsters from EOB1 & 2 and created matted photoshop files for them. Let me know in a private message if you want me to email them to you.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Done! Thx.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I decided to post the resources for EOB 1 & 2 here, rather than keep it to private mail, as I'm sure many other people can make use of them:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt_hill/EOB1&2_GIFS.zip

This contains everything I could easily extract from the data files. The icons and portraits are slightly corrupted for some reason. Creatures are saved with transparency. Everything is saved as GIF with it's own custom palette.

The wall data is stored differently and I haven't yet found anything that will etract that, so all walls are missing from this ZIP.

Enjoy!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Thank you so much for sharing them, it brought back many memories!
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Hey Gambit37,

Have you ever ripped images from Black Crypt on the Amiga? I just found a program that will rip images from saved games from the Amiga emulator but I can't tell how the heck to get the program to work with Black Crypt let alone get any images out.

It's called GrfxRip and can be found at http://www.pocketgopher.co.uk/amiga/GfxRip103.zip.

You seem to know your way around programs like this...maybe you could rip some images from BC??
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I had a quick look. It works with raw memory dumps. But WinUAE doesn't do that -- it's memory dumps (save state files) are compressed. So after a little searching, I found a tool that will uncompress .uss files:

http://www23.brinkster.com/magikal/

You have to play the game in WinUAE, then press F12 during the game to bring up the WinUAE client and select the Save State button from the Misc tab. This will save a compressed memory dump with the name of your choice. (I always use this to save my games in WinUAE, much easier than fiddling with save game ADFs and the like).

Install the graphics ripper and the USS uncompressor into a working folder.

Copy the .uss file to the folder you created, then open a DOS prompt in that folder and type: usst <nameofussfile>. Some files will be created, you should at least get cram.mem and fram.mem.

The you can analyse the dump with the graphics ripper by typing: gfxrip cram.mem or gfxrip fram.mem. Graphics are genrally in the chip ram.

However, once you've got the uncompressed memory dump open, it ain't plain sailing! I haven't maaged to get anything useful from any of my dumps yet -- too much trial and error. I have been able to see the pictures but getting the bitplanes in the right oder is one thing; getting a workable palette is quite another. You *will* need to read the intsructions very carefuly to understand how to use it. Good luck!

By the way, the guy who made the uncompressor also has made a better ripper which he shows on that page. But it's unreleased... :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, and a quick tip: Most Amiga games use 4 bit planes, but Black Crypt may use 5 (due to it's 64 colour mode). However, I don't think it was that simple; if I recall it simply darkened the first 32 colours, so it's probably still 4 bit planes and some clever custom chip stuff...
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Roughly on the same sort of subject, do you know if it's possible to extract images from Lands Of Lore?? (PC version)

Cheers!
Relig
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You can extract some files from Lands of Lore using Game File Explorer or Dragon Unpacker.

However, the extracted images are compressed bitmaps of some undetermined nature -- again, I have found no decoders for these formats. Try understanding the format then write a decoder.... ;-)

Post by Guest »

I used XWE to rip all monsters from EOB 1-3 and Dungeon Hack. As for BC I played through the game and took 500 screenshots, I still like the game so it was just another fun ride through it.

Has anyone been able to extract the walls from EOB/Hack? I guess I could ram through EOB 1-2 (amiga version), for another 500 screenshots, but the other games are for PC and I have not found one single free screenshot software that can take screenshots in fullscreen dos. I can do it in dosbox but I get very bad lag when using it.

If there was a good way to take screenshots in the PC-version I would just load up a save and go get the screens, but I havent found one.
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Why doesnt the "auto-login" feature work for me :? I always manage to post as guest.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

XWE for EOB 3? I tried it, but the files weren't anything usable once they were extracted. How did you get them as viewable images?

Autologin always works for me. You sure you haven't disabled cookies or something? What browser are you using?
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

IE, probobly disabled cookies then...

Ya, XWE for EOB3. I didnt do squat, it just worked, same as in EOB2.

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Massively weird. I open EYE.RES, it lists the filetypes on the left -- the only viewable ones are palettes and sounds. Everything else is just a number. If I save an unidentified file, I can only save it as a RW LUMP (.lmp). That's not a viewable file. Do you do something diferent?

Maybe there are different versions of EOB3?
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Problem found: In 1.11 (of XWE), you can extract gfx in EOB 3, however, with 1.12 you cant (havent tried newer versions).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How bizarre that it would work in an earlier version but not a later one! I have 1.12 and 1.15 and it doesn't work in either. Could you send me your copy of 1.11, I can't seem to find it on the net anymore (mh12225054@hotmail.com). Thanks.
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Ok, ill send it right away :)
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Hmm, I can extract the walls from Hack and Eob3, but not 1-2. Do anyone have these walls?
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Version 1.15 (newest) of WXE doesn't work with EOB 3. I just tried it and get the same results as 1.12. :-(

Post by Guest »

It seems like it stopped working after 1.11. I doubt a whole lot of people are extracting gfx from eob3 so the people making XWE probobly doesnt even know that the problem exist.

Another weird thing: yesterday when dinking around in the eob3 files with XWE most things on the left (like portraits), had names like "portrait 87", today they only have numbers like 1344. Its weird hehe.

Ive already extracted the monsters, but if I dont get the names back its gonna be a pain to extract the walls (with the correct palette).

Not that there are that many walls though.
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

Hi my friends , I am still working on my game and I am trying to extruct these graphics from
Lands of Lore 1 and Eob 3 Graphics , but the wall graphics are bit difficult , all westwood
games rpgs Eobs and Lands of lore 1 , to create the wall , takes a large amount of 8x8 tiles
like puzzle and make the walls , with my other one friend DK We tried to extruct graphics
from Lands of Lore. DK made a spacial background image like blue screen , so when you
play the game the floor backdrop changes to blue so you can grab the walls correct
with screen grabber.

DK made some map editor and some map compiler to compile Lands of lore mas to eob map

renames the level.cmp -> level.maz.

There is difference between eob data format and lands of lore format. In fact Lands of lore
mas are commpressed version of old eob format.

If you can edit the old eob files try to rename the as .cmp.

I thing must be recomressed to the Lands of lore format.

Make a big map empty with some walls but make your walls loose. Remember when you
open the old level.maz with hex editor you have 01.01.01.01 for one square
eatch 01 is the side of the square so you can replace the 01.01.01.01 to 01.00.00.00
So you will have a loose wall witch faces to the north only when you
try to see the wall from west to east you will have one frame of the wall.

The background will missing so with screen grabber you can do something.

I tried something with monsters but I didn't manage to grab them with extractors because i have probles with color palletes.

I have a lot of graphics from eob 1 and 2 wall graphics and lands of lore wall graphics
but I manage them with screen grabber , a lot of hacking a lot of drawing.

I try to grab correct monster my problem is the monsters.

Eob series monster have few frames animation
Lands of Lore Monster and DM 2 monster have many frames of animation.

Nice program to create new walls is the povray but you need to learn programming like language. and is difficult.

I tried to extract graphics from dungeon hack with XWE and i din't nothing
this programm mess all palletes.
The only way is the screen grabbing.

I try to put out the arc graphics from the Dungeon hack interface
because it covers my wall graphics upper left and upper right
if someone knows some patch witch removes the round
arc from interface send me the patch or instruction to my e-mail.

If anyone knows where do I find monsters tell me.

Thank you very very much.

If anyone wants help
sent me e-mail
takis76@yahoo.com
Last edited by takis76gr on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You are making too much work for yourself! Dungeon Hack & EOB3 are fine with XWE 1.11 -- you just need to select the correct palette first. In the list on the left, find a palette entry that is around 3Kb -- click on it, then in the palette menu, select "Use Current". After that, extracting images will have the correct palette... more or less

Post by Guest »

Can I extract correct eob and dungeon hack wall win XWE 1.12 or 1.15 I can't find Xwe 1.11
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Could someone post XWE 1.11 someplace? Or do you know where to get it??

Cheers!
Relig
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Eh? Read my previous post!
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Oh, I must of been posting at the same time. Thx.

Relig