How best to display maps on The Dungeon Master Codex?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

How should the map pages be displayed in The Dungeon Master Codex?

One long page that requires scrolling
17%
With a popup OR within the main page
67%
Use a popup ONLY
17%
Suggest something else
No votes

Total votes: 6

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

How best to display maps on The Dungeon Master Codex?

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm currently developing the maps pages of The Dungeon Master Codex, and would like your input. There's a number of ways I can present the information:

1) All in one long page starting with the map, then the key, then all associated hints (like on dmweb.free.fr). The problem with this is that you can't see the map and the hints at the same time.

2) Display map in the main page and allow user to display hints & key in EITHER a popup window or within the main page (enabling one will disable the other)

3) Display map in the main page and ONLY allow the user to display hints & key in a popup window

I'm open to suggestions on how to do this, so if you don't want to vote but have an idea, please post it here.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

by maps.. you mean actual maps right? as in dungeon maps? If so scrolling is fine.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yup, dungeon maps exactly. You might think it's a bit unnecessary seeing as Christophe has already done that, but mine will be a bit different...
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

On the encyclopaedia, if you use Internet Explorer, you can click on maps and a popup window will appear with only the map inside. There you can drag the map and zoom it in and out. And you can still scroll the main page in the other window, so that you can have just the part of map you want and the hints you want on screen simultaneously.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I didn't know that you'd implemented that -- it's a nice feature. But personally I'm rather against anything that relies on a specific browser, especially when it's IE! :evil:
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I'm rather for as many informations on one page as possible, scrolling is fine by me. But as long as the contents are there, I guess it matters not much.

Regards, PitD
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I agree that a cross browser solution would be far better. I think it might be possible to do, I just didn't take enough time to work it out. I based my script on another one that I found, so I had minimal work to implement the feature. So I thought it would be a nice addition for the 85 or 90 percent of visitors who use IE.