CSB4WIN++ :)

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DjArcas
Apprentice

CSB4WIN++ :)

Post by DjArcas »

I've just finished the first release of CSB4WIN++ - essentially it's CSB4WIN, with it's guts opened out a little...

Here's a list of what you can turn on:

Door Info - shows you if you can damage a door, and what method is needed.

Easy Doors - doubles the amount of damage you do to doors (one door in particular needs 110 damage in a single attack, and could I get above 100? could I hell...)

Show Luck - Shows the characters hidden luck statistic.

Show Monster Spawns - Lets you know when a monster has been spawned, what type, how many, and their XP.

Show Monster HP - Shows how much damage you are doing to a monster, and their remaining HP - figure out the best ways to hurt monsters! :)

Show Party XP - Shows how much XP you gain for performing an action, and how many you need to level up. The best thing I learned from this was... the quickest way to get ninja experience is to use the rope repeatedly. Pit not required.

MUCH respect must go to Paul Stevens, with out whom this wouldn't have been possible. And I have many more things planned for this yet :)

All suggestions and comments are welcome, either here or to djarcas@hotmail.com... and if you want to mirror this file on the dmweb.free.fr page, you're quite welcome! :)

The all-important file:

http://www.sawkins.com/CSBwin++.exe

Simply put it in the same directory as your CSBwin.exe file and run it.

Ps thanks goes to Cerra for putting up with me as I type this :)
Pps Love ya really babes :)
DjArcas
Apprentice

Re: CSB4WIN++ :)

Post by DjArcas »

Ooops. Update version now up there.

You can now turn on and off the party position (level is corret, but the XY coords don't seem to match up), and also get the game to tell you if there's any false walls nearby (very handy if you don't want to stare at a map the whole time :)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I tried to write to your email but got rejected. So I will
repeat myself here.
------------------

Very clever.

If I plant myself inside the false wall that exits
from the worm room in the basement and then attempt
to go east or west I bump my nose on a very solid
wall. But the message says there is a false wall to
the east and a false wall to the west. I don't think
that is correct.

PAul
prsteven@facstaff.wisc.edu
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Some minor bugs:
The xp gained shown upon an action is twice the real amount
The false wall feature works even if the false wall is open.
It would be nice if the options of the menu cheat could be checked, and remembered when loading again the game.
DjArcas
Apprentice

Post by DjArcas »

It IS a false wall, int that it's possible to go through that wall... sometimes you have to remove the wall first, tho. It'd better so say 'removable wall', I guess.... I'm just checking the falsewall flags, not the passable flags. *mumbles and goes and sees about changing it*

As for checking the menu, I couldn't actually figure out how to do that. Windows coding isn't my thing (DirectX, yes, OpenGL, yes, Windows, no way... :)

As for the XP shown is twice the real amount... are you sure...? I'll look into that.
DjArcas
Apprentice

Post by DjArcas »

RE: XP... there does seem to be some very odd code going on here:

Firstly, if (something) hasn't happened for 25 (seconds?), we get twice the normal XP:

if (d.Long12950 > d.Time-25)
{
D7W *= 2;
};

Secondly, all the experience *does* seem to be added twice:

psA3->Experience += (UI16)(D7W);//store the new experience

{...}

psA3->Experience += (UI16)(D7W);// Again?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As Paul mentioned in his skills text in csb4win, what could be happening is that you have your base experience for each skill (fighter, ninja, etc)
Buuuut, there are actually sub-categories. So expereince is added to a subcategory, and also to the base experience

Some things like gem of ages and moonstone add levels to the sub-skill only, not the main skill, which is why you can cast better potions with the gem of ages than without, without it showing up as a new level added to priest
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
DjArcas
Apprentice

Post by DjArcas »

Ahhh, yes, of course that makes sense. I'll just take one of the XP added, and print that out instead, then :)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I don't hink you understand my concern about the false wall.
When I am inside the wall I am told that there are other false
wall to my east and to my west.

09(25,21) is a false wall but 09(24,21) and 09(26,21) are solid
rock.

PAul
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I get this too which makes the false wall thing a bit useless really. In my opinion it should only be showing a false wall that:

* hasn't yet been discovered
* is closed and not open
* is next to the party

It shouldn't show false walls that:

* have already been discovered (what's the point?)
* is open (i.e. space) - at the moment those suqares are being reported as false walls when they clearly no longer are...
* are in the same square as the party - at the moment it seems to say the a false wall is ALWAYS to the east or west of the party if the party is on the tile that the false wall previously occupied.

I also have a problem with the other functions. I can't tell whether they are working or not because a) there are no ticks on the menus when the features are selected and b) nothing else seems to be written to the display. For example, what is supposed to happen when the 'Show Luck' thing is selected? I can't see anything else written on the screen, same for 'easy Doors' etc...
DjArcas
Apprentice

Post by DjArcas »

I could't figure out how to make the menus check, as I said... (if anyone can tell me, I'll fix it easily enough!) I've updated the false walls routine, I think it's working better now :) (I'll prolly upload it this weekend)

Luck... if you turn that on, then look at your character's stats, you'll see his luck stat (it's suprising how much this stat varies, too)

Easy Doors just means you do double damage to any door you hit.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

As I said, I will be happy to help with your efforts.
Checking menu items is certainly easy.
Write me: I failed in my attempt to write you.

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Which hex byte governs door damage needed anyway? And how?
Through DMute I messed about with the byte that looked like that damage, and it didn't seem to affect anything - a character with above 40 (39 apparently) strength and good stamina can chop it down without any effort
Fireballs seem to need to do a certain amount of damage (Don't know how much), so random factors can sometimes nmake a door stay, but effectively an UM level fireball will take a wooden door down, and a metal one stays put unless a MON strength from a high level character hits it
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

In the source, in file Code11f52.cpp there is a function named
'CheckMissileEncounter'. You might want to look.
That seems to be where the computation is done. These things are not simple.
If nobody answers your question, I will look at this code for a couple hours to
see what I can determine. It ain't easy.

PAul
DjArcas
Apprentice

Post by DjArcas »

If you turn on Door Info and hit a door, it tells you how much damage you need to do to a door to get it to break. A good example here is the entrance door to the Executioner room - that door needs 110 points of damage to break it down. I boosted my character up to about 160 strength using potions, and I STILL couldn't do more than 100 points of damage to it, hence the easy door cheat (so you only need 55 points of damage to destroy it)

I've also put in a 'fragile doors' cheat now, so you can hack down ANY door (seeing a RA door with a hole in it is very amusing :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I just wandered where the info for the doors was...in the dungeon.dat, or hardcoded.
I'm guessing the RA invulnerablity was hardcoded to the .exe, so cool to finally take them out : )

You should be able to register 110 damage with a stone club or berserk option, so odd you can't do it...

Oh wait..executioner room? That's an iron grate, right? Yeah, iron grates should be invulnerable except to fireballs...I think deleberately. You can obviously do 110 damage to grates with fireballs as long as the vulnerability is set (add 80 to the 3rd byte of the door).

Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Be careful adding to bytes. Almost every byte in the .DAT file has more than
one field.

PAul
DjArcas
Apprentice

Post by DjArcas »

The thing is, that particular door was set to be breakable via melee attacks, not fireballs. So why set the door to be breakable like that , and then set the damage for that door to something you can't attain? :)

As for adding to bytes - I think I'm actually halving the damage needed, rather than doubling the damage... same diff tho :-)

I will definitely get the version with 'fixed' (he says) false walls and tickable menu options up there tonight.

Honest :)
Wofverine

Post by Wofverine »

Hello,

First Question :
Do you have made or know a character editor for CSBWin savedgame ?

Second :
I've tried CSBWin++ but I crash :
Can't find graphics.dat
After copying graphics.dat into csbwin++.exe directory
I've got :
Assertion falilure Line 7646 Program E:\download\emulators\CSB4windows\CSBCode.cpp Should we quit ?
If I says no, I can't entre the dungeon, mouse click seems to be ignored.

Any ID about this problem ?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

CSBWin has added a number of features to the game.
It is unlikely that any of the other editors will be able
to use savegames produced by CSBWin unless the
authors make a few adjustments.

I think CSBWin++ is based on a very old version of
CSBWin and that it has never been updated. That
would explain your problem.
tom

Post by tom »

So, no new version of CSBWin++ ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

CSBWin is being updated constantly, and is now a very powerful game/editor combined with CSBBuild. You need to visit Paul's homepage dianneandpaul.net
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

anything new here?
(like updating CSB++ to the current CSBwin version)?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's nothing to do with Paul, so I guess no
jamos
Novice

Post by jamos »

Wofverine wrote:Hello,

First Question :
Do you have made or know a character editor for CSBWin savedgame ?

Second :
I've tried CSBWin++ but I crash :
Can't find graphics.dat
After copying graphics.dat into csbwin++.exe directory
I've got :
Assertion falilure Line 7646 Program E:\download\emulators\CSB4windows\CSBCode.cpp Should we quit ?
If I says no, I can't entre the dungeon, mouse click seems to be ignored.

Any ID about this problem ?
CSBwin++ only works with Return to Chaos files, if you try to run it using DM files it will throw you that error.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Return to Chaos? I don't think so, that's an entirely different clone and not at all compatible with CSBWin or CSBWin++. Check yer facts ;-) Anyway, you're replying to problem reported 8 years ago! I doubt the original questioner is still even here.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, CSWin++ works with original game files and 3.0 or 4.0 CSBwin created dungeons.