Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've finally just given myself an Avatar...will make it easier when I'm scrolling down a thread to see posts put up after the last one I sent :). If I wanted to do my own Avatar, however (like, mess around with a DM portrait and use that, for example), would I have to upload it to some website somewhere in order to use the URL? If so, is there a site in which I can do that, seeing as I don't have one of my own.
I haven't done a pic yet, just would like to know in case I can be arsed to do so in future :).
Oh, and another thing, do Avatar pics get automatically shrunk if they're a big pic, or do you have to draw them small to begin with?
Thanks in advance :).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, you need to host an avatar somewhere -- we disabled file uploads on these forums due to security issues. We can host it here if you like -- just send me the image and I'll sort it out.

They are not automatically shrunk which is why there's a limit of 80x80. We're normal people here and we don't see the benefit of massive avatars and uberl33t signatures that are 18 pages long.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I hear you.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okies cool :) I might mess around with some of the DM portraits at some point and change them and give them different names and maybe make a dungeon and use them.
The dungeon I was making before is erm...well, I DLd v0.32 the other day and was gonna transfer my dungeon file from 0.30 across to it only to find it wasn't there so I must have forgotten to transfer it to 0.30 from 0.29 lol. Oh well...was fooked anyway lol.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i moved my avatar on my webspace and can't update it. when trying to set it up as off-site avatar, i get this:

Code: Select all

Could not write avatar file to local storage. Please contact the board administrator with this message

DEBUG MODE

Line : 77
File : /home/www/dungeon-master.com/www/www.dungeon-master.com/forum/includes/usercp_avatar.php
the new url is: http://www.sucinum.de/pics/amber80.gif
maybe it works with adminpowers or it can be hosted here as a workaround.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

seems that everyone here experiments this uploading problem...
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i didn't even want to upload it, that's the problem ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*spooky admin power engaged*

it was there in your profile, jsut a broken link...very strange....
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Hey admins did you make a CHMOD 777 on the images/avatars directory ? This needs to be done to enable avatar upload.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No, it's not set to 777 because I disabled the ability to upload avatars for security purposes. Where is everyone seeing this option? Have I missed it somewhere?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

of course there's no avatar upload here because all the customized avatars are directly loaded from their respective website. the problem happens when you want to change your avatar's url.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, thanks for clarification. I have no idea what the prob is. Would probably be fixed by an upgrade in the forum software. I had intended to do that over Christmas, but stuff got in the way, and it seemed unnecessary after I considered it further.