DM Java shortcut doesn't work!

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

DM Java shortcut doesn't work!

Post by Chaos Awakes »

I know this has been asked before but I've looked back and followed the instructions and can't work out what I'm doing wrong.

I don't know what the stuff is about Java 1.5 - I downloaded the Java runtime from the "Hot downloads" link on Suns site a few days ago and it has installed into "C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06"

Anyway, DMJava is installed in "My Documents\DVDs\Dungeon Master Java"

I have created a shortcut on my desktop (I HATE things on the desktop, but it was easiest for testing). The shortcut points to:

"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06" -cp. dmnew

(Note the speech marks). I have then edited the shortcut and changed the "Start in" folder to:

"My Documents\DVDs\Dungeon Master Java"

When I click the link, an error box comes up which says:

"Cannot start the Java Virtual Machine"

What am I doing wrong? Anyone?

Simon
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i dunno why you have the -.cp there, not sayign it shouldn't be, just don't know what it is there for - the command is javaw for the java shell, then dmnew after as the thing to run

so the target is :
"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\javaw.exe" dmnew
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Post by Chaos Awakes »

Yep, I took the -cp. out and it now works!
I was just doing what Relig instructed in the thread about getting it to run under Java 1.5 in this forum - he included the -cp. so I did also. You'll have to ask him what it's for :)

I can't believe I abandoned this dungeon of mine. I'm certainly going to start work on it again - it's got about 8 or 9 levels so far, very complex and is totally dependant on who is in your party. With the extra graphic set available this is going to be something special when it's finished. I'm playing it now, cos I can't even remember what I'd done so far and I have a feeling I left several quests up in the air which I should finish or the end players will be a bit confused when they've spent weeks on a quest just to discover it doesn't do anywhere :(

Simon
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

-cp tells java where to look for the program to lauch. If you omit it and the system variable CLASSPATH isn't defined, the default value will be '.', which is the current directory.

DMJ could be packaged in .jar file that could be launched just by double-cliking it, under windows. I could do it but how do I make it public ?

Another possibility is to create a little launcher, like dmj.exe, that would launch java on DMJ, but to work it would need java in the system PATH. That's the way Eclipse work.