Mini Mac. Mac Mini. A teeny tiny mac.

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Mini Mac. Mac Mini. A teeny tiny mac.

Post by Gambit37 »

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

This is the first time I've ever actually wanted to part with cash for a mac -- it just looks so lovely and beautiful! A designer's wet dream, if you'll pardon the analogy. Almost unbelievable how they crammed it all in.

At that price, I could justify it, even though I have no cash!
And yes, Mac mini will take advantage of your two-button USB mouse with scroll-wheel and your favorite USB keyboard. Just plug them in.
They really have done their homework and will likely get a whole generation of PC converts.

This on the same day that some unheard of company in America finally bought the remains of Commodore -- now, if they could just work out what to do with it, that would be nice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4145965.stm
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Saw it today. My friend is interested in "converting" and he doesn't want to buy a monitor (he will use his flatscreen television) so I have introduced this technological terror to him. For $580 USD plus applicable sales tax, he can get the low-end model, an Apple USB keyboard+optical mouse, and the DVI-to-S-Video cable to use his television as a monitor. I am SOOOO jealous!
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

For some reason, I find it hard to believe that it's as good as it says. Granted, I'm not good with computer stats and techie stuff, but ... I don't know. These people DID bring us the one-button mouse, even if they're now realizing the errors of their ways.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what people say about it. Not that I'm going to get one. I'm inheriting a very nice PC within the next few weeks and that's good enough for me.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

and the DVI-to-S-Video cable to use his television as a monitor.
Unless I missed something, even flat screen TVs still have lower clarity than dedicated monitors. He's gonna be squinting a lot.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Not nescessarily Gambit. there are flatscreen LCD TVs that use monitor resolutions (like 1280x960).

Selie, Macs have supported N-button (N>1) mice since OS 8.x, some decade ago.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

watched them overclock it on techTV.. registered as being faster than the G5.. he said it was an error in the software though.. but he said it got pretty close to the speed of a G5 just that it's not a 64 bit processor so could never compete.

moo
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Damn. I want one.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Intel getting in on the act too, possibly:

http://news.com.com/Intel+shows+off+Mac ... tml?tag=nl
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

I always loved the Apple Mac's designs and their software. For those reasons alone I wouldn't mind having one, but I guess I better stick with my "normal" laptop. LOL