Sommerswerd

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Sommerswerd

Post by beowuuf »

Just found this creation from my childhood - it's the sword of Lone Wolf, the main character of a gamebook series : )

Cardboard Sommerswerd

It's made fom six layers of carboard, made to only two drawings - one of the main weapon beind held, and one of the front decorations on the guard..

Layer 1: The central core of the blade goes most of the length. At the bottom there is the pommel piece which was seperate, with a little cardboard tab.
Layer 2/3: There are then two secondary blade pieces either side to create the 3-d illusion of the edges...it kiiiiinda works. At the bottom are two hilt pieces to hold the base of layer 1 and the pommenl
Layer 4/5: Two guard pieces to hold it all together. I had planned to bulk up the delicate end parts, but in the end they never needed them, and they curled together so you couldn't see the centre anyway.
Layer 6: Some decorative raised sections to mimic the front of the guard as illustrated in the gamebooks.

The back design was my creation, just weird patterns and supposed to be unreadable writing on a round section at the centre.

There is alot of cellotape, not because that's what held it together (originally it was glue, tiny celotape used over the years to put it back together) but because I then taped a ruler at one point to it so i could play with it : )

I dunno, i was really proud of it as a kid, funny to find it again! I used to imagine re-creating it but using layers of plywood (no skill in carving or puttign together larger wood) but never got aroudn to it.

Anyway, just wanted to share : )
Last edited by beowuuf on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Wow, nice! I'm always glad to see childhood weaponry. I used to use these fence posts that had fallen off of one of our animal pens... They were really long, kind of retangular prisms with points on the top... They made excellent spears until my mother saw me with one and started telling me how I was going to fall down on it and kill myself.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

well, you sure showed her!

yeah, i'd use anything long as a weapon to bash defensless empty plastic milk bottles, washing up bottles, etc - fun times!
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Yeah, a stick turns so easily into a sword. It's just added fun when you have something that actually resembles a sword in some way.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Nice site about Lone wolf:
http://www.projectaon.org/books.htm
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeah, when i was first online i looked around for lone wolf stuff, and nothing

a while ago i looked again and foudn that site - great idea! : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, been following that one for a while, but it simply isn't the same playing them on a screen -- you can't curl up in your bed with the lights off and a torch under the duvet and your 10 sided dice going like the clappers.

No that isn't a euphemism :D
Last edited by Gambit37 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you played with a d10! heresy!

*cough, i used to use a calculator in my teens good old ran#*