Wait. Wait. Wait. Time passes.

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Wait. Wait. Wait. Time passes.

Post by Gambit37 »

Browsing the RTC suggestion box for some older threads, the dates of some our early discussions are the beginning of 2001. That's 4 freaking years ago. :shock: :shock:

Even though I've never met any of you (bar one), I've 'known' many of you longer than a lot of the people who are currently in my 'real' life.

That strikes me as highly strange. But cool. In a cooly strange kind of way.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, it's kinda oddly depressing about how much time has passed though!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

does that mean I'm a really big nerd if most of my long time friends I only speak to online?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

nah, just lazy like me : )
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

:-)

Nothing to to add about the contents of the thread, but the title brought a smile to my face. Ahh...they were the days...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think I have about three or four friends in RL, and then about...erm...lots online. Haven't ever counted, lol. It's easy to make friends online though...for starters you already know you have something in common with someone - you like the Net :).
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Time passes faster as you get older. But you are only as old as you feel, or summat you feel, something like that.

When you are online, you can invent a different personality for yourself. Unfortunatley, in real life, I am just the same as I am here...
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

I somewhere read an amusing (and not very serious) theory on why time passes faster as you get older - you compare it to what has been. So for a 10 year old a year feels as long as 5 years does for a 50 year old... ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i think terry pratchett hit it better when he described days passing slowly but weeks passing fast - when you are in a job, rather than uni or whatever, you do tend to find your days are fairly similar, so it's hard to assicoate what you do with specific days
therefore, although your day can drag on, wheb you try to look back, it compresses somehting that doesn't feel liek a week or two!

really, depends if you do soemthing differnet each evening/weekend or not!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

"I still think of myself as I was 25 years ago. Then I look in a mirror and see an old bastard."

Dave Allen (1936-2005)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I didn't spot the fact you'd dated him as dead...wow, dave allen dead!
You could look at it two ways, he was 68, or he was only 68!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

My mind is going. I can't even remember which game immortalised the Time Passes comment. Was it one of the Zorks? Or The Hobbit? Jeez, now that's going back a bit!
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The Hobbit. Wowed us all on the Speccy in '83 - ooh it's got graphics!

There was a bit where you had to wait three times before moving to get past the spiders. Hmm I seem to half remember things like abbreviations such as OPE DO causing funny things to happen, and killing Gandalf with a rope. Duuuh, think my brain's gone too - perphaps I'll pop it in a glass of water overnight....
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Ahhh - the graphics; they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. 8 colours and a draw time of 5-10 seconds per frame. Fantastic (and I'm not being sarcastic here, those of us of a certain age really did think this was stunning).

I seem to remember always getting clobbered by the nasty goblin in Mirkwood and then having to escape that dungeon. To do so you had to wait for ages for a guard to come along and could spend hours typing "W...A...Enter...W...A...Enter...W...A...Enter". That killed the game off for me as it was a random event and quite often was killed by another random creature before it happened.

I managed to get to the base of the lonely mountain once, but didn't ever get in to complete it. I really should go back and finish the game one day!
skaterboi666
Novice

Post by skaterboi666 »

the graphics werent that good back then
skaterboi666
Novice

Post by skaterboi666 »

im a skele so ill eat all your brains so i get some :P