My DM story

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

My DM story

Post by Ameena »

Well, here it is at last. This first section is ten pages long (you have been warned!). If anyone wants to post any comments, could you start a new thread please, so I can keep this one solely for the story and so it's not broken up by loads of posts? :).

-------------------------------------------------------------
Note – This is the story of my party as they quest through the dungeon of “Dungeon Master”. I don’t really know much about the Theron aspect of the background story...I know he’s something to do with the Grey Lord or Lord Librasulus (was that his name before he got split into Lord Chaos and Lord Order?), but I’ve never read the original background story so I’ll be kind of improvising that bit.
Obviously, as it’s a story, it can’t be told exactly as how the game would be played out, considering that would be very boring and stuff. Also, it wouldn’t allow much for the actions and personalities of the individual characters to be properly portrayed. I’ve played this game several times now, and I can’t exactly remember what I did the first time I played it (back when I was about six). I also used to play with a different party. For the purpose of this story, please blame any really stupid actions on the characters themselves, seeing as obviously since I’ve been playing with them, I kind of know pretty much all the main details about every level and so on. The only thing in this story similar to how I played the game is the names of the characters.
And finally, before I begin, a little thanks to BloodFromStone for inspiring me to write a DM story by writing his own. If anything in my story is similar (or even identical) to yours, I apologise profusely in advance. It is never my intention to copy or steal another’s ideas in any way, but sometimes I come up with what I think is a good idea, without realising at the time that it’s pretty much the same as something I’ve recently read or seen. My brain works that way, you see :). Oh, actually, there is one little aspect of my DMing which I shamelessly pinched off another source, and that’s one of my character names.
Oh, and one FINAL, final note...yes, I know I’ve given one of my characters a sex change from their original version, but I play with myself as the leader (ie, the character I rename “Ameena”), and I like that particular character’s picture. At least it’s one that could conceivably belong to either gender :).
Beware spoilers if you’ve not played the game before! You have been warned!

Darkness. A complete lack of light, of knowledge, of any kind of sensitivity to the surroundings. Nothing at all.
Then something. Light? Perhaps. Something, like the edge of awareness creeping into view. Something swirling, changing, perhaps. Hinting, pulling, tugging. Something like being looked at, being reached toward, touched...
Then light. Too much light. Stone underfoot. Reaching out a scaled hand toward the cold, grey, bare wall. Feeling the hardness of the surface beneath a scaled, clawed hand. Putting another of those hands up, toward the head. Something like a headache, faintly pounding. Rub it. Shake head...
She blinked as things slowly seemed to coalesce around her, as her senses finished their awakening from what seemed like an endless sleep. The first thing she noticed was that which her sharp eyes had detected, having now become adjusted to the bright light. Not that it was particularly hard to miss – before her was a wall of solid stone blocks, a dreary grey in colour. This wall was bare apart from an object which appeared to be attached to it. It looked like a square, wooden frame around a plain sheet of glass. She peered at it intently for a few moments, but could not see through it. Nor could she see her reflection, which she thought rather odd.
What was even more odd, however, was how she could have come to be in this place...wherever it was. Looking around, she appeared to be standing in a corridor formed entirely from the same stone as the wall. She listened, but could hear nothing in particular. She flicked out her tongue, tasting the air, but could detect nothing which she could identify as belonging to anything.
Then she looked at herself, or as much of herself as she could see. She stood quite tall in the corridor, her head about halfway between the top of the wooden frame and the ceiling. For some reason she wore a rather plain-looking pack across the green, scaled hide of her back, a green which glinted strangely in the light. She looked around at this point, wondering exactly where the light was coming from, but it seemed to have no definable source that she could see. Rather, it simply seemed to be innately present in the air of this strange place.
She looked at her hands with their three small-clawed fingers and thumb, flexing them and knowing she bore the strength to carry things which might appear to be beyond her capacity. She licked her lips, running her forked tongue along her sharply pointed teeth. Perhaps she would have a chance to test that strength.
Suddenly, she realised something. She knew practically nothing about herself. It was as though she’d been someone, but then somehow managed to forget everything she’d ever learned. At least she knew her name. It must be her name. She had only one name floating around inside her head, and it sounded right. Ameena. Ameena Shadowscale.
But there was something else, she realised. A thought...a voice. Something like a voice, whispering inside her head.
Find the others. They number three. Then pursue your goal. Find the fabled staff. Do not let Chaos rule this world. Nor can Order rule unhindered. The perils are great, but so will be your strength.
Ameena blinked. Others? Staff? Chaos? What was this...?
And yet, somehow, as she briefly mused over the words which had come unbidden into her mind, it made sense. Yes. She had a goal, and she must fulfil it. She must somehow destroy this Chaos, and restore order...or something. And who, or what, were these “others”?
Realising that she hadn’t moved from her spot in all this time of thinking and looking around, she paused a moment more in order to decide which way to go. The corridor disappeared into the distance behind her, or just around a corner to both her left and right. She twitched the tip of her tail briefly, then turned right and began to walk, her claws clicking faintly on the stone floor. She turned another corner, and found another of the strange, mirror-like objects attached to the wall, identical to the one she had just left.. It seemed that the left-hand wall was simply a block with one of the strange mirror-frames at each end.
Peering close to this one, Ameena saw that it was identical to the one she had already seen. She wondered what the point was of there being something like that on a blank stone wall in an empty corridor, when she heard something. Quickly tasting the air, she scented that there was something else nearby, possibly even around the corner just ahead of her.
Taking a cautious step forward, she was about to slowly peer around the corner, when something stepped into view. Ameena took two quick steps back in case this new creature was a threat. It stood about a head shorter than her, and seemed to be composed entirely of black robes, though a pair of glowing red eyes could be seen peering out. There was a black cloak attached around its shoulders which did not appear to be part of its physical form. Like Ameena, however, this being also wore a leathery brown backpack, though such a thing appeared out of place on such a creature. It looked at her, and then spoke in a strange, deep, almost echoing voice.
“I am Shadow. Are you one of the three?”
It took Ameena a moment to realise what he (for there was no way this being could be female) meant.
“If I am,” she said, hearing her voice for the first time as she spoke, “then so must you be. You also heard the voice?”
“I did.”
“Then you know what we are supposed to do.”
“Yes. I think that we should find the others.”
Ameena nodded. For some reason, she felt as though she could trust this creature, this Shadow. Perhaps it was because he was the first being she had met since her...awakening. He must know how it felt.
“What is your name?”
Ameena realised she hadn’t told it.
“My name is Ameena Shadowscale.” she said. “Do you know anything of these others that we are supposed to find?”
“Only that two more now remain.”
Ameena tasted the air again, but could not detect any new scent. She stepped past Shadow and continued down the corridor. She heard a faint, whispery, rustling noise, and noticed Shadow moving to keep pace beside her. The two continued along the corridor for a short distance before finding themselves back at Ameena’s starting point. She tapped one corner of the frame with a claw.
“Do you know anything of these?” she asked.
“Only that there was nothing, and then something seemed to call, and I was standing before one.”
They walked down the corridor, and came upon another mirror-frame. This one, however, had a picture behind the glass. It showed the head and shoulders of a human (How did Ameena know what a “human” was? She wasn’t sure) wearing dark clothing and a brown cloak with the hood drawn up. He seemed to stare out of the mirror, eyes open yet seeing nothing. He almost looked real. Ameena reached out a claw and tapped on the glass, peering at the strange figure.
“Puzzling...” she muttered. “And yet...”
Something was taking shape here. She had “awoken” standing in front of one of these mirrors, as had Shadow. Those mirrors had been empty, yet this one held the image of a living being. Looking around, Ameena noticed another mirror nearby. This one held another human, an old one in a blue robe, with white hair on his head and around his mouth. Humans had a word for that, but Ameena couldn’t recall what it was.
“We should find the others, and then discuss what must be done.” commented Shadow as his glowing eyes moved over the two images on the walls.
“Aye.” agreed Ameena, choosing a direction at random and setting off again.
She constantly flicked her tongue in and out, tasting for any new scent. Suddenly, she caught something. What was it? Not reptilian, like her...no...she could, somehow, tell the difference, though she had no recollection of ever having met any other creatures before her awakening here. This being somehow smelt...warmer. Mammal, that was it! She stopped beside a mirror containing a female human with red hair, and looked about. There were a few other mirrors nearby, but something about the one across from her was a little odd.
In a couple of strides she stood before it. It was empty.
A faint sound around the corner off to her left caused her to turn and investigate. Shadow appeared content to let her figure things out and was standing silently nearby, contemplating the surrounding mirrors. Ameena stood opposite an image of a being slightly shorter than a human, but with a huge mass of yellow hair attached to the bottom of his face. Peering around the corner, she caught sight of something.
Even as she saw it, it turned to face her. It was just over half her height, and covered in brown fur. It wore a backpack identical to that of herself and Shadow, as well as a leather jerkin. Strange on a furred creature, she thought, but perhaps extra physical protection is required by a creature with such a soft hide...particularly if coming into contact with fire.
The creature tensed as if ready to spring, but not in her direction. Its small black nose was twitching constantly, as if checking her scent in the mammalian fashion. It was probably trying to decide whether or not she constituted a threat. She spoke, but didn’t move any closer.
“I am Ameena.” she said. “If you awoke some moments ago and found yourself standing before an empty mirror, then I am one of those whom you were asked to find in this place.”
The mammal seemed to consider this information, then relaxed a little and took a few steps forward.
“So we all did hear the same message?” he asked. “It spoke to you something about a staff? Order and Chaos rule the world? I am not liking this world greatly. Stone is hard...and there might be...things...”
The creature shook his head, and seemed to come to a decision.
“So we must find them? I think perhaps that we should not take our time too long.”
“Come, then.” replied Ameena, and turned around, walking back around the corner toward Shadow.
“Something comes.” he said, pointing to the tunnel which they’d come up before.
“Perhaps it is the fourth.” said Ameena, stepping close to the tunnel in order to see what approached.
Soon he emerged into view. He didn’t look much taller than the furry mammal she had just met, perhaps slightly shorter. He was wearing a leather jerkin which was more or less identical to the one the furry one wore, as well as blue leg-coverings, and footwear made of some hardened black substance. He had a thin covering of white hair on his head, as well as some around the bottom of his face. He was probably old, then, as the hair was white, but did not appear physically inhibited by such a factor. While she didn’t know a great deal about mammalian expressions, she decided that this one had a cheerful face.
“Ah!” he cried as he spotted Ameena. “Greetings! I hope that you’re one of those ‘others’ I’m supposed to find. Otherwise, I suppose I’m not being too intelligent in speaking to you, now, am I?”
He’d been walking as he spoke to her, and now stood before her. She looked down at him as he looked up, not appearing at all intimidated by the fact that he was facing a reptilian being who stood at least double his height.
“We all are here now?” inquired a voice behind her. She turned her head to see the small furry one.
“Introductions are necessary.” announced Shadow. “I am Shadow.”
“Ameena Shadowscale.”
The furry one’s small black nose twitched.
“Fippy Darkpaw.”
“Stumpy Uberfeet. And don’t ask me where I got the name. It seems strange, even to me, but it feels right.”
Ameena shrugged, not bothered about what his name was, as long as she knew it. After all, she had a feeling they’d be travelling together for some time, and it wouldn’t do to travel with strangers.
“Where should we go?” asked Fippy tentatively.
“Did everyone else hear some kind of voice in their minds, saying something about finding a staff, and doing something with it to stop chaos and order?”
The rest of the group nodded.
“I think that we should first try to find this staff,” spoke Ameena, “though it seems none of us has any idea what it looks like, or where it may be found. At the moment, we seem to be surrounded by nothing but solid stone walls bedecked with these strange mirror-frames...”
”Yes, I had an idea about that.” commented Stumpy.
”As did I.” replied Ameena.
“We came from within.” said Shadow, his fiery eyes fixing on Fippy’s empty mirror.
A general murmur of assent went round the group. Then Fippy spoke up.
“Why us?” he asked. “There are many here. Many creatures. But we only have awoken. Maybe the voice they did not hear.”
“Perhaps only a certain number could be awoken, and that we are the lucky few who were chosen.” suggested Ameena. “Though how we came to be there in the first place, I do not know.”
“Well, not that I’m claiming leadership over this little group, but I think that we’d better look to the task at hand and get ourselves moving before we starve to death.”
Ameena glanced at Stumpy, knowing that he spoke the truth.
“Aye. Has anyone seen any way to leave this place?”
”I think I may have.” said Stumpy. “Just down the corridor from my mirror, I found a door. There’s some kind of touch-stone in front of it., I think it may open the door, but I didn’t want to try it. Just in case.”
“Let us go there, then.” said Ameena.
Stumpy led the way along the corridor and around a corner. They passed a few more mirrors, one of which was Stumpy’s former abode, and stopped before the large and very obvious stone in the floor. It was rectangular, and the fact that it was placed directly in front of a portcullis implied that it was, indeed, the trigger for opening it.
“I had a little look around nearby, too, but I ended up hearing your voices as I came nearer, so I decided to investigate. Suffice to say, I didn’t find anything but more mirrors anyway.”
Ameena glanced at a mirror on the wall to their right, showing a male human with wild hair and huge muscles. She returned her attention to the touch-stone on the floor, and cautiously stepped toward it. She raised a clawed foot and placed it on the stone. It sunk into the floor under her weight with a click. Immediately and with a loud grating noise, the portcullis winched upward into the ceiling. Ameena removed her foot from the stone, in case it was only her weight which kept the gate open. However, the portcullis did not close, so she stepped forward again. However, she stopped almost immediately as the portcullis closed again. She sighed in irritation, and stepped off and back onto the stone. It opened again, and this time she stayed where she was. Suddenly, Fippy leapt lightly forward.
“I will stand here.” he said. “You all go through. Then I will come. I do not like the things which may be there.”
“What things?” asked Stumpy.
“I think not that I know,” replied Fippy, “but if there are things, I think perhaps that they will fight more a large creature. My small self and fur do not fight well.”
“We are wasting time.” said Shadow, stepping forward and passing beneath the portcullis.
“Hey, what’s that?” asked Stumpy as he also stepped through. He reached down and picked up something that was lying in the corner.
Ameena and Fippy both came forward. Stumpy held up his find. It was a small, roundish object, red in colour and with a smooth, almost shiny surface. Though she didn’t know how, Ameena realised she knew something about it.
“Fruit!” she exclaimed, half in surprise.
“Apple!” exclaimed Fippy excitedly. “Apple is food! There lies food in this place! That seems strange. But if work we are to carry out, food we will need.”
”I think it is best to keep it for later.” said Ameena. “We do not know how much more we will find, nor how long this...quest...will take.”
Stumpy nodded and began to feel around his clothes for a pocket big enough to hold the apple. Ameena pointed at his backpack.
“Put it in there.” she suggested.
“Oh!” exclaimed Stumpy. “I’d forgotten about that! I noticed it after I came out of the mirror, but forgot about it in favour of exploring my surroundings. Good thinking. And isn’t it strange that we all seem to be wearing one, and that they’re all the same!”
“That is strange. Maybe we may find things in here which may be for good use.” said Fippy, already digging around inside his pack. Then he gave a bark of excitement, and held up a glass flask.
“See! We have items! I think perhaps this is used for the making of magical drinks.”
“Potions.” supplied Stumpy as he reached into his own pack.
Ameena nosed around in hers, but could find nothing.
“Mine is empty.” she said, though she wondered what she had been expecting to find.
“As is mine.” said Shadow after a moment.
“And has Stumpy found anything?” asked Fippy.
“Ah...aha, yes...” muttered Stumpy, as he withdrew his hand from his pack. He held two small objects. They were like arrows, only smaller and crafted more for holding in the hand and throwing. They had pale blue flights.
“Darts.” said Ameena, as the name came to her.
Stumpy held one up, close to his eye, and inspected the point.
“Poison, I believe.” he said.
Ameena bent her head closer for a look, flicking her tongue in and out.
“Aye...it does smell a little strange.” she commented. “Though I am unsure as to whether I could ever ascertain such knowledge by simply looking at something.”
Stumpy gave an awkward kind of smile.
“Well...no offence, but...most mammals I’ve met seem to have...ah...better vision than...than reptiles. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!” he added hastily, in case he angered Ameena. “I mean, your sense of smell is probably much better than ours. Well, maybe not Fippy’s...”
“I smell things always.” said Fippy, nodding. “Smell is important. Gain most information of places by smelling. But I can see things too.”
“No offence taken.” said Ameena to Stumpy. “My hide is also much harder than your soft flesh, and my teeth and claws are also stronger. You could not use yours in proper combat.”
“Somehow, I’m not sure you will be either, by the end of things.” said Stumpy.
Ameena nodded.
“I know what you mean. But we’ll not find anything if we simply stay here talking about insignificant things. I feel certain that there will be plenty of time for that during our journey through this place.”
The others agreed. Fippy suddenly turned to Stumpy.
“I think perhaps that Stumpy should have this.” he said, proffering the flask. “Stumpy can see poison. Perhaps he can make things to stop poison. Poison is bad. I think that I feel some other magic...not potions...”
“I know what you mean.” replied Stumpy, accepting the flask. “I feel it too, but as you said, I do feel like I know what to do with this flask. I hope we find some more, in case this one gets broken.”
He put the flask and apple into his pack, but kept hold of the darts in case it became necessary to use them.
Fippy had been sniffing around nearby, and now he called them.
“More food!” he exclaimed, producing a lump of something white and brown. It looked soft to the touch and Ameena wasn’t too familiar with it.
“Ahh...bread.” said Stumpy. “Somehow I suspect it’s a little stale, if it’s just been left lying on the ground like that. Still, food is food, and we don’t know when we’ll be able to find any more.”
Fippy nodded, and put the bread in his pack. They continued along the corridor a short distance, and found some more items on the floor, and an unlit torch in a sconce on the wall. A stone stairway led downwards into darkness.
“What’s this...” muttered Stumpy, as he reached down to pick up the things on the floor. There was a rolled-up scroll and something which Ameena hoped was a waterskin. Stumpy took the lid off the skin first, and held it out to Fippy.
“Is it water?” he asked. “It sloshes.”
Fippy sniffed delicately at the mouth of the container, then nodded.
“Yes.” he said. “It is water. It does not smell bad.”
Stumpy replaced the lid.
“Shall I keep hold of this for now, or would one of you prefer to?” he asked. “Water is precious, after all, and we don’t know how much more of this stuff we’re going to find. I don’t want to be accused of hoarding all our resources, is all.”
“I’ll not make such an accusation.” said Ameena. “We are all together. Were you to be so selfish, I doubt that you would stand much chance against us.”
Stumpy chuckled as he nodded in agreement, placing the waterskin in his pack. Fippy was about his height, but Shadow was easily double it, and Ameena a head higher than that.
“Here. You can read the scroll.” he said, handing it to her.
She unrolled it and stared at the markings.
“I do not understand any of these markings...”she said slowly, “...except this one. Something about it seems...familiar.”
“May I see?” asked Stumpy. She handed him the scroll.
After a moment of looking at it, he spoke.
“Ahh, yes, I understand this writing. It’s the common language.” he said.
“Perhaps my kind never used such things.” said Ameena with a shrug.
“Could I look, perhaps, and see if I know also such writing?” asked Fippy.
“Of course.” replied Stumpy, proffering the scroll. Fippy looked at it.
“I think that I know this...” he said, sounding a little uncertain. “I have read things before...they did look like this. What does Shadow think?”
He held up the scroll for Shadow to see. His glowing red eyes flickered over the scroll’s writing.
“I, too, can read it.” he said.
“I think that it says you must...cast...Ful...for...magic...light.” said Fippy slowly, as he carefully read the scroll again.
“Yes, that’s pretty much what it says.” agreed Stumpy, nodding. “It tells us that we invoke ‘Ful’ for a magic torch. Ful...now that’s a rune...”
At the mention of runes, something seemed to awaken in Ameena’s memory, but she couldn’t quite grasp what it was. Looking around, she could see that the others were having similar recollections.
“I know!” yipped Fippy. “That is magic...I know! I know to use the magic...the Power Runes...the magic runes...all to make the spells...for using...for killing...”
“I can remember something, but...it is too vague.” spoke Ameena.
“I feel that I know of the Power Runes,” said Shadow, “but I do not remember their use in any spells, nor their overall purpose in magic.”
“Power Runes...Power Runes first...cast them and the magic comes...the magic comes of the strength of the Power...” explained Fippy, though he was clearly working it out as he went. “Then the power must be shaped...the magic...must make the spell, and then the magic does cast...can cast the spell any time...but only one spell. Only one spell...cast or destroy...then make another.” He cocked his head for a moment, as though checking it was right, then nodded slightly.
“Perhaps you should try to cast a spell.” suggested Ameena.
“Yes...cast...yes...”
Fippy raised a hand...well, they were very furry...more like fingered paws. He wore a look of intense concentration on his furry face as he drew a shape in the air with one finger, a shape that was like two points, both pointing sideways in the same direction. A faint image of the shape remained in the air, traced in pale blue lines which were a little hard to see. Then he drew another shape beside the first. This one, Ameena noticed, was identical to the one which she’d seen on the scroll.
The runes floated in the air, glowing faintly. Fippy reached out with both paws on each side of the runes. He slowly brought his paws together, and the runes coalesced into a small, ball of light which glowed whitish-yellow. It remained where it was until his paws touched it, and then split into two and disappeared into his fur, into the flesh beneath. He blinked.
“I have made the spell.” he said. “Now I try to cast it...”
He raised his paws, and Ameena thought she could see the light glowing faintly in the palms. Fippy made a gesture which at first she thought was a clap, but he stopped his paws just before they came together, and turned them upward. The glow emerged again, and Fippy quickly raised his paws. The glow moved upward, expanding into the air as it did so. Finally it had dispersed completely, leaving no sign of its presence.
“What happened?” asked Ameena after a moment. “Did the spell fail?”
Fippy also appeared confused. Then Shadow offered an answer.
“It is already light here.” he said. “More light would make no difference.”
A ripple of realisation seemed to go around the group, causing Stumpy to laugh.
“Well, if we find a dark place, maybe we can practice that one.” he said. “Unless, of course, it’s light all the way, in which case we won’t need it. Which I doubt, especially looking at that stairway.”
“What are those Power Runes?” Ameena asked the group. “I have been remembering things about magic as you have explained it, but it seems I cannot recall those things which have not been mentioned. Perhaps I was never an expert at magic.”
“We should all become proficient.” said Shadow.
“Yes. I shall perform much practice.” stated Fippy. “I think perhaps that Stumpy should tell of the runes. My speak is not good.”
“We understand you perfectly,” said Stumpy, “but I confess I do see what you mean.”
He turned to Ameena.
“Suppose I tell you the names of the Power Runes. Maybe you might remember more from that. They are Lo, Um...On...er...oh yes...Ee, Pal, and...uh...”
“Mon.” supplied Fippy.
“Of course!” exclaimed Stumpy. “Not sure how I could forget that one, being as it’s the most powerful.”
Now he’d told her their names, the Power Runes did sound familiar to Ameena. But she couldn’t recall any spells apart from the one Fippy had demonstrated.
“Cast the Power Rune first to set the strength of the spell...” she muttered, as though reciting some long-forgotten lesson, “...then the other runes. Store the spell until you need it. Then release the magic. Only forming the runes consumes mana. The casting itself does not, for it is a release of mana spent.” She stopped. “Mana?”
“The essence of magic.” spoke Shadow. “In order to cast a spell, you must first tap into your inner mana reserves.”
Suddenly he moved, one hand deftly tracing the shapes of three runes in the air. The first two were identical to those Fippy had used. The third was different, rounded, like...well, to Ameena it looked like a very crude depiction of a wing. And suddenly familiar. Shadow brought his hands in on each side of the runes once he’d created them, and this time the glow created was a fiery orange-red colour. Yet it did not appear to harm the dark creature as it was absorbed into his hands. He released it almost instantly, yet not in the way Fippy had done. For Shadow turned to face down the empty corridor, and released the spell as though forcing an object away from him.
There was a brief flash of light as a tiny ball of flame shot away from Shadow, flying down the length of the corridor before hitting the distant wall with a faint “boom”.
“Fireball!” exclaimed Fippy, his voice coming out as more of an excited bark. He seemed to have a tendency toward getting over-excited.
“Impressive.” said Ameena. “What was that last rune?”
“Ir.” replied Shadow. “I was not aware I would remember how to cast such a spell. It appears to be instinctive. Interesting.”
“Indeed. Perhaps we have more to discover about ourselves than we realise.”
“I wonder what’s down these stairs...” pondered Stumpy as he tried to peer down into the darkness.
“Perhaps we should fully explore this upper area before we descend.” suggested Ameena as she, too, looked toward the stairs.
“What is that?” asked Fippy suddenly. He’d gone to explore the end of the corridor, apparently satisfied that there seemed to be no aggressive creatures in the area.
The others joined him. There was some kind of ornately-carved alcove set in the wall. It had two strange protrusions inside it, one on each side. Cautiously, Ameena reached out to touch one. It was coloured a strange yellow-green, and felt cold and hard to the touch, like stone, though it was made of a strange material she didn’t recognise. She noticed that, carved in the wall above the alcove, was a rune. It looked familiar, but she couldn’t quite recall what it was called.
“What rune is that?” she asked, pointing.
“Hmm? Oh, I hadn’t noticed that.” said Stumpy. He paused. “That rune, for some reason, seems very familiar to me...it’s a good rune. Good as in not offensive.”
Fippy looked up at the rune.
“I know the rune also.” he said. “Ah! Vi it is!” he suddenly exclaimed as he remembered.
“Vi...Vi is life.” said Stumpy. “So I was right. Now let’s see what this scroll says...”
He reached down to pick up something from the ground which Ameena hadn’t noticed. She found it almost amusing that because of the large difference between their heights, they each noticed things that the other did not. Stumpy unrolled the scroll and read.
“It says ‘New lives for old bones’. I wonder...”
“Life! Altar...Vi...bones...” Fippy muttered. “Yes. Bad creatures kill, so bring bones back to altar. Altar works, bones flash. Life again.”
“The power of rebirth?” asked Ameena, astounded. “That is phenomenal magic! Yet...I do feel as though I, too, recognise it. It seems almost as though I have done all this before, a long time ago, so long ago that I have since forgotten the details.”
“I think we all have that feeling.” commented Stumpy. No-one contradicted him.
“Let us continue.” said Ameena, eager to explore this place further.
“I’ll leave this scroll here.” said Stumpy. “We know what it says now, and I can’t see it being of any use. Fippy, did you leave behind that other scroll too?”
“No, I have the scroll.” he replied, showing it. “But we now know the rune. I do not think that any of us will forget.”
He put the rune scroll on the ground in front of the altar, beside the other scroll which Stumpy had already replaced. Then the two of them followed Ameena and Shadow around the corner. A few steps onward, Fippy darted into another corner and picked something up.
”More food!” he exclaimed, holding it up before stuffing it into his pack.
“What is this one called?” asked Ameena, who didn’t recognise it.
Fippy paused a moment, as though remembering.
“Corn.” he said.
Ameena nodded, and they continued down the corridor, finally coming to another door. This one had a small square button set into the wall beside it. After exchanging a glance with the others to see if they had any other ideas, Ameena reached out and pushed the button with a claw. There was a loud grinding noise as the door slowly winched upward into the ceiling.
However, there was little in the small room beyond but more food – some more bread, another apple, and some strange, soft food which was a strange, yellow-orange in colour, which Stumpy identified as “cheese”.
Finding nothing else of use in the room, the group backtracked to the stairs.
“It seems we have nowhere else to go now but here.” said Ameena.
“We’d better go down there then.” replied Stumpy. “Surely if there was anything bad down there, it might have come up here by now...?”
“Perhaps.” shrugged Ameena. “We have only one way to know.”
She lifted a clawed foot, and began to descend.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As she descended into the darkness, Ameena constantly flicked her tongue about, testing the air for the faintest sign of anything significant. Although it was getting steadily darker the further down she went, she could still faintly make out the details of the ground beneath her. The stairs felt slightly rough, but were well-hewn and clear of rocks or any other debris which might litter them in times of long desertion. She could hear the footsteps of her companions as they followed behind her – Shadow’s faint swishing, Fippy’s paw-padding, and the light bootsteps of Stumpy. After a few moments more, she heard the latter calling from behind.
“Is it getting much darker? Not to try and give you people more to think about, but my eyesight seems to be somewhat lacking in dark places. Perhaps I could quickly go back up and get that torch?”
“No.” said Shadow. “It would be better to use magic. More practice.”
“Ahh...that’s true. Shall I have a go, or would you like to, Fippy?”
“I will try. I like to cast spells, for they do give much practice.” replied the furred one, already tracing the runes in the air. “Here, I cast Lo Ful.”
He performed the actions of casting the spell, quicker than before since he knew what he was doing now, and the dark stairway lit up slightly as the pale glow suffused the air around them.
“Not very bright.” said Fippy, sounding disappointed.
“That was just a Lo-power spell.” said Stumpy. “Imagine how bright a Mon one would be! Here, let me try...”
He, too, traced Lo Ful in the air and cast the spell. The air grew brighter.
“What about you two?” Stumpy asked Shadow and Ameena.
Shadow quickly drew the same runes in the air, but when he attempted to cast the spell, all that happened was faint fizzling of the light as it emerged, which then sputtered out.
“I need more practice.” he muttered.
Ameena, meanwhile, had reached out her claw and, willing for it to be a magical rune, traced the shape of Lo in the air. It hung there, shimmering faintly pale blue. But as she tried to draw Ful, she felt that something wasn’t right. Her claw drew the shape, but it wasn’t illuminated. There was no sign of the rune in the air, and somehow she felt as though some inner strength had been worn out.
“I think I have depleted my mana.” she said, mildly irritated. “You can all cast a full spell, but I can only create a single rune.”
“Store it for later.” said Shadow. “Hold the rune. It will remain within until you can draw another.”
Ameena reached out for the rune. It was bigger than her hand, but as she tried to grasp it, it shrank and was absorbed into her scales, though she felt nothing. Yet she knew it was there, and she knew she wouldn’t be able to start any new spells until this one had been either cast or erased. She wondered what would happen if she simply tried to cast the lone rune, but decided it would probably achieve nothing but require her to draw it again for another spell.
“It is not as bright as it was above, but at least we have more light.” she said at last, and continued down the stairs.
“I will try to cast another.” she heard Fippy say. A moment later the air around them grew a little brighter. It was now almost as bright as it had been in the strange hallway of mirrors.
A few steps after that, they were at the bottom of the staircase. It hadn’t really been that long, though Ameena wondered exactly how long she’d expected it to be.
They were in a tunnel which branched left and right. Ameena scented the air and thought she could detect something from off down the right-hand path. It was a kind of old, musty stench, the kind that might be found around old things left to rot. Not flesh, perhaps, but maybe books, or cloth...
“Do you smell anything?” she asked Fippy, wanting to verify her detection before announcing it to the group.
Fippy sniffed around, then pricked up his ears sharply and stared down the corridor in the direction Ameena had scented the musty smell.
“Yes!” he yipped nervously. “I do smell...a thing is there. I think perhaps that it may be something that may come...”
“If it is something aggressive,” said Ameena, “we should eliminate it now, lest it attack us from behind later.”
A murmur of agreement went around the group, and they slowly walked down the corridor in the direction of the smell. Ameena noticed that the light around them was dimming, and wondered whether she’d regained power enough to cast a Ful rune to complete her first spell. She searched around inside herself, mentally, and felt it there, her mana, stronger than it had been after she’d cast the rune. She didn’t know if it was full again, however, because she hadn’t thought to check it before casting the spell. But it did feel right. She quickly held out her right hand and opened it, willing her incomplete spell to appear before her. It did, the lone rune floating slightly in front of her even as she walked. She carefully added a Ful rune to the right of it, as she had seen the others do, and performed the casting gesture. Slightly to her surprise, the runes coalesced into the glowing ball and lit up the area exactly as the others had done. She’d half thought that it might not work, inhibited as she seemed to be in magical matters.
After only a short distance (for it had only taken a few moments to cast the spell), Ameena noticed something on the floor. She bent down to pick it up, noticing as she did that there was a portcullis to her right.
“A weapon.” she mused, looking at it. It was naught but a simple, wooden club. “I think my claws will be more effective than this. Perhaps one of you would prefer to use it?”
“I’m not sure if I’m much good with weapons.” replied Stumpy. “Somehow I felt much more secure holding that potion flask.”
“I think that I prefer the using of magic.” said Fippy. “It does feel much safer, and that I am less likely to being hit by things.”
“I will use it.” said Shadow, reaching out a dark hand for the club. Ameena handed it to him, then regarded the door. The smell seemed to be emanating from within.
After a quick glance round to see if anyone objected, Ameena reached out and pressed the button which opened the door. It grated open, and the group stepped inside.
They had not taken more than a step or two down the new corridor, however, when something came trudging toward them. It was humanoid, and for a being which seemed to be composed entirely of old bandages, it was surprisingly fast, and had closed the gap between them before they could step back. It was obvious that this creature bore no good will toward them, and fully intended to bash them or tear them to pieces with its mummified arms. For that is what it undoubtedly was – a mummy.
Ameena let out a hiss and bent her legs, spreading her arms wide and showing her claws. She had been standing at the front of the group, with Shadow slightly behind her. Stumpy and Fippy, she knew, were at the back somewhere.
Then the mummy came at her. It struck out with one of its weak-looking arms, aiming for her head (though it had to reach up slightly, because it was the height of a human and was therefore a head shorter than her), but Ameena blocked it with one hand and clawed at its face with another. She could see a pair of palely-glowing eyes gleaming a dull, expressionless grey. This creature appeared to have no thought or feeling but that to destroy. And it was, again, surprisingly quick, lashing out with its other arm and bashing her in the chest. She took a step back, regaining her breath, which had been knocked out of her. Then she saw Shadow move. He took a swift step forward and brought the club swinging round. It hit the mummy square in the side of the head and it staggered sideways into the wall. It let out a strange moaning sound and continued to move forward. Ameena lunged at it again and clawed at its face. It tried to push her off, but then moaned again and seemed to disintegrate within her grasp. She let go and backed away, wary of another attack, but the mummy simply seemed to melt into an ugly cloud of grey smoke which quickly dissipated into nothing before her eyes.
Glancing around at the rest of the group, Ameena saw that they were as surprised at this as she was. Did the creatures of this world simply dissolve into smoke when they were slain?
Ameena absently rubbed her chest where the mummy had bashed it. The scales along her underside were softer than those on her back, and paler in colour – closer to yellow than green. Not the best vulnerability to have when fighting mobs face-on. Now the spot felt slightly sore and tender. At least it wasn’t a serious wound.
“Sorry I didn’t help out there.” muttered Stumpy, a little contritely. “But that thing was easily double my height, and I didn’t feel like attracting its attention. I’m not sure what poison would do to the undead, anyway.”
“I had not the mana for casting a Fireball.” added Fippy apologetically.
“Oh, speaking of mana...” said Stumpy. He reached into his pack and brought out the flask. “Now, let’s see if I remember how to do this as easily as I remembered how to cast the Light spell...”
He held the flask out in his left hand, then sketched Lo and Vi in the air above it with his right. He then half-cupped his hand around the glowing symbols and moved it toward the mouth of the flask. The symbols moved as well, though he wasn’t actually touching them. Then they glowed a deeper blue, like deep, still, calm waters, and poured into the flask as liquid. A Vi rune appeared on the flask, etched into the glass.
“Success!” pronounced Stumpy proudly. He held the flask out for Ameena. “Here.”
Ameena accepted the flask with a nod of thanks, and drank the liquid. It tasted strange, yet strangely familiar. It was a cool, soothing taste, yet she couldn’t think of words which might properly describe it. The pain in her chest scales vanished almost immediately and she handed the flask back to Stumpy, noticing as she did so that the rune marking it had vanished.
”Much better. I think we will need more of those potions later, though.” she said.
“I think perhaps that if you are to be fighting such,” piped up Fippy, “you might be wanting something for to make safe your scales there. The bandage-man did hit you there and it did hurt. But perhaps if I do give you this, it may help.”
He removed his leather jerkin as he spoke, and offered it to her.
“I may stay behind you when the things do come, and then they may not hurt me. We maybe will find more armour anyway.”
Ameena knew he was right, so she accepted the jerkin and put it on, noticing as she did so that it was exactly the right size to fit, event though it had been exactly the right size to fit Fippy just moments before.
“More magic.” she muttered. It felt strange to wear clothing, but she knew that her scales would probably offer scant protection from the kind of things they might find themselves facing on this perilous venture. Well, a simple leather jerkin was probably not much better, but at least it was better than nothing.
“Let us see what treasures it guarded.” said Shadow, going to investigate what turned out to be the end of a short corridor. There were some things lying on the ground, which Shadow picked up and showed to the group in turn – a small dagger, some corn, an apple, and a scroll.
Ameena hefted the dagger. It felt as though it had the right balance to be used as a throwing weapon. She turned to Fippy.
“Perhaps you could use this.” she said. “I don’t think it would be of much use to Shadow or myself, and Stumpy has his darts.”
Fippy nodded, and took the dagger. Shadow, meanwhile, had put the food into his pack. He then unrolled the scroll and read it out loud.
“Small details can hide great rewards.”
“It must be referring to that.” said Ameena, pointing at something she’d noticed in the wall at the end of the corridor, behind Shadow. It was as though someone had cut a small, horizontally rectangular block in the wall and then not removed it.
“I hope this is not a trap.” she said, as she reached up to touch it. It pressed inward, and all of a sudden the entire central section of the wall seemed to dissolve, leaving a square alcove. An old sword lay inside. Ameena picked it up.
“A simple sword.” she said, running a claw along the blade. It was old, but still quite sharp, and she had a feeling it easily had the capacity to take care of any more mummies they might encounter.
“I have this club.” said Shadow. “You keep the sword. It is sharper than your claws, no doubt.”
Ameena regarded the sword once more. She wasn’t used to wielding such a weapon, yet she knew her claws would probably be useless sooner or later against the tough hide of some grotesque beast. She nodded in agreement with Shadow, and as she did so, she remembered the name of this particular type of sword.
“Yes, I shall use this falchion.” she murmured.
They backtracked from the dead-end room and past the stairs, went through another door and around a corner. Here, they found a keyhole in the wall, and another door to the left of it. This one had no button, but there was a small gold key on the ground underneath the keyhole. Shadow tried it in the lock, and the door opened, though immediately afterwards the key turned dull grey and crumbled to dust. It seemed that, in this place, no item which had served its purpose was permitted to remain in existence. After a couple of twists and turns, they found themselves at a junction. There was a small water fountain on one wall, with a stone head above it.
“What creature is that?” inquired Ameena, pointing at the carving. “Not one of your kind, Fippy?”
“No.” he replied, with a sound like laughter. “That face is of feline, not canine.”
“You are a canine?”
“Yes...canine, dog. Feline, cat. That cat, I think, is a lion. For it has the mane. I think that I do know furred mammals well. But I think that you do know...your creature...”
“Reptiles. I am a reptile. I prefer that term to ‘lizard’. but both are true.”
She turned to the others.
“And to which species do you belong?” she asked.
“I’m a dwarf.” replied Stumpy. “But I’m sure you could tell that from my height.” He winked, taking the waterskin out of his pack as he did so.
“I am whatever you see.” said Shadow enigmatically. “You see me as I am, so that is what I am. I have no species.”
Stumpy took a long draught from the waterskin, then offered it to the others.
“Here. I was thirsty, and I’m sure we can refill it at this fountain.”
Ameena accepted the skin, while Fippy sniffed at the fountain.
“Water it is.” he said, as Ameena drank. Then she handed him the skin. He, too, drank, but then held it up and peered inside.
“Ah, I have drunk the last water.” he said. He padded over to the fountain and refilled the skin, then held it out to Shadow. “You want to drink?”
Shadow accepted the skin.
“It is best that we all drink while we can.” he said, holding up the skin and letting the water fall into wherever his mouth was – Ameena couldn’t see it, but the water disappeared when it hit the spot where his mouth should be. For some reason, this action seemed a little strange to her – she’d had the notion that perhaps he didn’t need to eat or drink. He then refilled the skin and returned it to Stumpy.
Exploring the area, they found more doors, which they cautiously opened. Behind one door, they could hear a strange scuttling noise, but they didn’t have a key with which to open it, so they had to leave it and explore elsewhere. In various places they managed to find an assortment of items – a few were pretty useless, so they left them behind – a couple of torches and an arrow. They found some more clothing, which they took – some kind of green tunic which none of them recognised, a pair of white trousers with a red rim, and two pairs of black, leather boots, identical to those Stumpy was already wearing. Shadow wore one pair of boots, while Fippy wore the rest of the clothing. Ameena decided her feet were better as they were for now, claws more able to do damage than blunt soles.
They also found another dagger, which Fippy kept, and a rock, which they almost left, until Stumpy pointed out that it could be used as effectively as a sharper missile if thrown correctly, and kept it with his darts.
They also found some more keys – another gold key, one gold inset with a small green gem (identified by Shadow as an “emerald”), one gold with a yellowish gem inset (a “topaz”), and two which were much harder to spot because they were of dull grey metals and a similar colour to the stony floor. Fortunately Shadow had been carefully scouring the ground with his eyes in every room, and managed to spot one. It wasn’t particularly impressive-looking, nor was the second, similar one they found (having figured that they should keep an eye out for these things now). The only difference between them was that one was more solid, and the round part at the “handle” end of the key was “filled in”. It felt a little more sturdy than the other.
Eventually they found their way back to the door with the strange noise behind it, having decided that they’d exhausted all possible corners of the area in which things might be hidden (both living and inanimate). They had only two keys left – the two dull metallic ones, having used the others on previous doors. Fippy quickly sketched the runes for a Fireball in the air and prepared it for casting. Stumpy did the same. Ameena already had a Lo rune ready from a previous attempt at spellcasting, so she added a Ful rune to it and, because the light around them was dimming, cast it. Instantly she felt a strange surge within her, as though her mana was stirring, growing. She looked around, a little startled.
“Did your mana grow bigger?” asked Fippy. “That is good. I think perhaps that you will be more able to be casting more spells now. My mana did grow before, once when I did cast Light.”
“Mine too.” agreed Stumpy.
“And mine.” added Shadow.
Ameena couldn’t help but feel a little irritated once more. Why did their magical abilities seem so far in advance of her own? Or was she good for nothing more than swinging her sword and slaying whatever attacked them? Well, she hadn’t actually had a chance to use the sword yet, though it felt that she was about to. She turned back toward the door.
“Open it, then.” she said, a little more forcefully than she’d have liked. “We must see what is on the other side.”
If anyone took offence at her tone, they didn’t show it. Shadow, who seemed to have become the silently-agreed key master, unlocked the door. As with the others, the key broke into pieces and dissolved into dust. The tough wooden door ground open, and they peered through.
Inside, no taller than Fippy, stood some kind of plant. It was like a small tree, with a rough brown trunk, and a strange green top. Ameena was glad she recognised it as a tree, or at least some kind of plant. Somehow, when she thought of plants, she felt slightly comforted.
The tree’s “roots” weren’t set into the ground, however – it suddenly scuttled forward on them like little legs. It seemed to have no eyes, yet somehow it knew where it was going, for it didn’t touch against the walls of the corridor. There were a number of strange pock-marks on the odd green surface which could be the creature’s head...if it had one. Which trees didn’t.
“What is that?” she heard Stumpy mutter from behind her. They’d decided in the process of walking that since the corridor seemed a constant size, Ameena and Shadow could walk side-by-side and effectively block the way for any creatures which might attack from the front, leaving Fippy and Stumpy free to throw things from behind, as long as they were careful not to hit their companions by mistake. Now it was time to put that theory into practice.
Ameena gripped her sword a little tighter, unsure how this odd-looking plant creature could pose a threat. Suddenly, she saw. Or rather, heard.
All the odd pock marks on the creature’s green surface suddenly opened, and it emitted a loud, ear-piercing shriek. Ameena nearly dropped her sword, shaking her head frantically and hissing. The others were making noises of protest as well, though the noise had only lasted a moment. Quickly, Ameena stepped forward and slashed down, slicing through the creature’s soft surface. She was surprised at the lack of resistance, until she hit the hardness of the trunk. She withdrew her sword, leaving a huge gash in the creature’s “head”. It must have thought better about attacking them, because it started turning as if to scuttle away. Shadow’s club came crashing down on top of it, though it didn’t seem to do much damage. Ameena brought her sword down again, causing another slice near the first. To her surprise, a whole chunk of the creature simply fell off. It landed on the floor with a kind of soft thud. The creature seemed about to try and scream again, but Ameena delivered another slash to the soft green surface, causing another piece to fall off. The creature, meanwhile, crumbled into nothing in the same way the mummy had. She stepped back as the cloud of grey smoke drifted up in front of her face.
Turning back to the group, she saw Fippy still clutching his head.
“Hurts...it screams...” he whined.
“Here.” said Stumpy, handing him a Vi potion. The canine took it and quickly drank it, the pained expression disappearing from his face as he did so.
“I thank you.” he said. “I am not liking the scream-plants. Too loud. Canine ears are not liking loud noise, for we do hear well normal sound.”
“Fortunately, it was not particularly hard to kill.” said Ameena. “But I expect we’ll be facing many more of those...”
“Screamers?” suggested Stumpy. Ameena shrugged, and went to investigate another door which was blocking their path. There was another keyhole beside it, and Ameena was about to ask Shadow to unlock it when Fippy let out an exclamation.
“Look! Scream-plant left some of it behind!”
He bent down and picked up one of the green pieces of screamer which still lay on the ground and Ameena had forgotten about, having expected them to have already dissipated. Fippy squeezed it slightly. It appeared to be a rather spongy substance. He then sniffed at it cautiously.
“You think perhaps that it is poison?” he asked.
“Does it smell like it?” asked Stumpy.
“No. Smells...like food.” replied the canine.
“Try some.” said Ameena. Fippy took a delicate nibble from one corner. Everyone watched him as he chewed it with his canine jaw, and swallowed it. His nose twitched and he looked around.
“It does seem to taste strange,” he said, “but I am not thinking that it is bad. I think perhaps that we should keep them for eating.”
So saying, he wolfed down the rest of the slice, then licked his lips.
“It is not most tasty, but food is food, we eat.” he added.
Ameena reached down and picked up the other slice, realising how hungry she was. She closely inspected it and glanced around the group before she gulped it down. True enough, it didn’t have a particularly strong taste, and it was rather spongy. Somehow it didn’t taste or feel like the kind of food she was “meant” to eat. But as Fippy had already said, food was food.
They continued through the next door and were quickly confronted by two more of the strange screaming plants. Ameena stepped forward to slash at one, but Fippy suddenly let out a bark of warning. She felt a faint warmth growing from something behind her and knew what was about to happen. Instead of slashing down at the creature from above, she ducked and slashed at its trunk instead, as Fippy hurled a small fireball which collided with the spongy green “head”. It was briefly illuminated in fire and Ameena felt the warmth bathing her face before the creature died in a puff of grey smoke. The other screamer had already been dispatched by Shadow and Stumpy, the latter of whom had run forward to retrieve one of his poisoned darts from the floor.
“I felt the heat of that spell.” Ameena said to Fippy. “It was not very great, but I imagine we will need some form of protection in the future, when you have learnt how to cast more powerful fireballs.”
“I am sure that we all shall learn it.” replied the canine. “And I think perhaps that we may not always be needing to protect from the heat – If we do cast our magic fire when the enemies are far away, we may not be feeling it.”
“These two didn’t leave much food.” said Stumpy, holding up a small, rather squashed-looking piece of green sponge. “I think cutting weapons are the key to procuring that, if we want it. Does anyone mind if I eat this?”
No-one objected, so Stumpy ate it.
“Hmm...” he said after a moment. “Strange, rather chewy substance. Still, as you said earlier, food is food.”
A short distance later, they passed through another door and found themselves in a fairly small room. Nine large touch-stones were spaced at regular intervals over the floor, and they could see a portcullis at the opposite end.
“How do you suppose this one works?” muttered Stumpy to no-one in particular.
“Perhaps one of them opens the door, and the other eight trigger a trap.” suggested Ameena, looking around for anything that might resemble a harmful object.
“Can we not step between, perhaps, and see if perhaps the door may open alone?”
Ameena glanced down at the little canine, and then at her own clawed feet.
“Your paws are smaller than my feet, if you remove those boots.” she said.
Shadow nodded.
“Yes. That is a good idea – explore the room without touching the stones.”
“Aye, and if the door will open by itself, then we will try and follow in the same fashion.” finished Ameena.
Fippy looked decidedly nervous, and his tail hung down toward the ground. Then he looked across the room, at the floor, and back up at his companions, suddenly seeming more resolved.
“Yes.” he said. “We must not be wasting more time.”
He slipped off his boots and stepped into the room, making his way across and careful not to step on any of the touch-stones as he did so. They saw him arrive at the portcullis, and then try to pull and push at it with his pawlike hands.
“It does not open.” he called. “I see another behind, though. Another door. I shall return.”
He made his way back across the room while Ameena bent down to inspect the nearest touch-stone. It didn’t look like anything special – just a large, rectangular slab of stone which would press into the floor if stepped on.
“We have no choice, then, if we wish to continue.” she said, waiting before Fippy was behind her again before boldly stepping forward onto the touch-stone.
What followed then were several moments of swift steps around the room as Ameena triggered each of the stones in turn. They all seemed to open or close either or both of the doors, but Ameena couldn’t seem to get them both open at once. She finally found herself standing on the stone in front of the first door, which was open. The second door, however, was firmly closed. She even stepped forward to inspect it, but there was no way she’d be able to open it with her bare hands.
With a hiss of irritation, she turned and stepped back onto the nearest stone. There was a loud grinding noise behind her, but it wasn’t coming from the nearest door. She turned round in surprise and found that both doors were now open.
“Come across!” she called, wasting no further time. She didn’t need to tell the group not to stand on any of the stones.
A mere few moments later, the entire group had made it across the room without touching anything they shouldn’t. Satisfied glances went round all four faces (except perhaps Shadow...it was hard to tell).
“Well, if that’s the hardest puzzle we ever encounter, it’s good enough for me.” said Stumpy, giving the room one final glance before joining the others as they moved on down the darkening corridor.
Ameena looked round as Fippy cast another Light spell, noticing that instead of casting a Lo rune at the beginning, he instead cast a square.
“Is that the second rune?” she asked.
“Um, yes.” he replied as he cast the spell. It took her a moment to realise that he hadn’t been thinking about what to say – “Um” was, in fact, the name of the rune. She remembered Stumpy telling her, now.
And so they continued, recasting Light spells when needed (which wasn’t so often now that they were starting to use the second level of power), eating the occasional slice of the strange screaming plants when they were hungry, drinking from any fountains they came to if they felt thirsty. Perhaps all the fountains were fed from the same water source, for the water tasted the same at each one. Though they hadn’t really been in this world long, they were already tiring of seeing the same dull grey walls pass by with every step. They met a few more screamers, which were by now easily dispatched. On the hunch that they might need the combat practice, Stumpy asked whether he and Fippy could get some practice, and borrowed their companions’ weapons till they found ones of their own.
They also encountered more mummies, but these, too, weren’t too difficult to dispatch. They tended to hit quite hard, but a swiftly-cast Fireball quickly turned them into dissipating grey dust. They wondered why that happened – why everything they destroyed turned into grey, dusty smoke and vanished. But none of them had an answer to that, and they thought it was better that they knew for sure that their foes were dead.
At one point they found themselves faced with a closed wooden door. Inscribed on the wall nearby were the words “NONE SHALL PASS”, as read out by Shadow. He scowled at the door (Ameena wasn’t sure how, but somehow she felt as though she could deduce Shadow’s facial expressions now, even though only his eyes showed), held out his hands, and reformed an Um-level Fireball spell he’d been storing. He hurled it at the door. The entire central portion disintegrated upon contact and they were able to step through.
“Now why didn’t we think of that with any other doors?” muttered Stumpy.
“Because they had buttons or keyholes.” replied Ameena.
They also found a variety of objects, most of which seemed to be either keys or useless items like torches. They found a few more flasks too, which Stumpy took. Though they were probably all capable of doing so if they tried, only the dwarf had been making potions so far – Ameena decided that wizard spells like Fireball were hard enough, Shadow preferred hurting things to healing them, while Fippy decided he’d rather be very good at one thing rather than mediocre at two. He did still practice hand-to-hand (or rather, paw-to-trunk as it seemed to be most of the time here) combat, however, in order to increase his physical strength should something come up behind them at any point.
One good find they made was a large chest. It had two potions in it, etched with a symbol like Um, but with a cross over the middle which divided the square into four smaller ones.
“Do you know what they do?” Ameena asked Stumpy as he inspected the flasks.
“Well, I know the rune is Ya...” he said slowly. “I think these boost strength, or...no, I believe they relieve tiredness. Yes...look...”
He’d been peering into the chest again and had found a scroll describing the effect of the potions, which did exactly what Stumpy had said they did.
“Useful.” commented Ameena.
“We should not rely on magic for our strength.” said Shadow. He didn’t talk much, but when he did it was usually sound advice. At least, it had been so far. “If we drink a potion whenever we require some physical ability, we will become dependant on them and will not advance ourselves.”
“True, I suppose.” said Stumpy. “It is tempting, though, to drink these. But I don’t think I’ll take any more flasks for now – I have four. That’s plenty of spares in case I’m clumsy enough to drop one.”
“Should we take the chest?” inquired Ameena, lifting it with both hands to test its weight. It was probably double the size of her head, and fairly heavy.
“How would it fit in any of our packs?” asked Stumpy in surprise.
“The same way everything else does.” Ameena replied, a little snappishly. She removed her pack for a moment and tried to shove the chest inside, though it seemed far too big to fit. But a moment later, she peered inside her pack and saw it in there. It had fit. She lifted her pack. It was heavier now with the increased weight, but still easily bearable without slowing her down.
“What strange magic there is in this place.” muttered Fippy.
“I think we’ll be seeing stranger yet.” replied Stumpy as they continued.
Another little curiosity they found was a small, square, blue box, no wider than Ameena’s handspan. She held it up and examined it closely.
“Any ideas?” she asked, passing it to Stumpy.
“Hmm...I’m not sure...” he muttered. “I’m sure it’s magic, but I can’t remember what it does. Strange, when I saw you hold that up, I expected it to be green.”
Fippy sniffed at it and cocked his head.
“I think perhaps that it is for harming.” he said. “When you do open the box, it does perform magic upon things.”
“That seems rather obvious,” observed Ameena dryly, “but if you don’t know what it does, I think we should leave it here.”
Fippy took the box from Stumpy and made as if to open the lid. However, he barely touched the small catch holding it closed.
“I did think that perhaps to be like opening it would bring memory.” he explained. “I think now that this box harms others. I think that the magic is to stop them running or other. But I do not remember how it works. I am not wanting to use it.”
So saying, he returned it to Ameena, who put it back where she’d found it.
They found another of the strange boxes later, in another chest, but this, too, they left. Shadow kept the chest, and started keeping his food in it.
“It is a better idea to store away such things we have no immediate need of.”
Eventually they found another downward staircase, the same as the one they’d come down before. They felt more encouraged now, having better-equipped themselves to face whatever might be below. They’d found another falchion, which Shadow had taken in exchange for his club. Neither Stumpy nor Fippy were the type to walk up to something and bash it to death, so they’d left it behind. Shadow also wore a small round buckler on his left arm. They’d found it in a corner of a large room full of mummies, and though it was scant protection from damage, it was better than nothing, which was what he’d had before.
It was at the top of this new staircase that they suddenly realised how tired they were. They’d been doing a great deal of walking and fighting, and they decided it would probably be a good idea to get some rest before pressing on. They didn’t want to be half asleep and trapped in a corner by some ravenous creature of destruction.
Ameena and Fippy curled up, nose-to-tail in the manner they found most comfortable, though Ameena kept her weapon within reach and Fippy had already prepared a second-level Fireball spell. Shadow simply sat down and leaned against the wall. Stumpy had a little more difficulty, but eventually managed to lie down on the cold stone floor using his pack as a pillow.
“I think I’m gong to ache later on.” he complained. “Why are we here anyway?”
“You know that none of us know the answer to that.” snapped Ameena. Stumpy fell silent. Everything was silent. The sheer weight of silence after the constant sound of their progress through this dark realm suddenly seemed to weigh down like a huge block of stone. This was not a pleasant silence, Ameena had time to think before sleep came for her.
Chaos rules this place. His minions are fashioned from chaos, and to chaos they return when defeated. They leave nothing because they are formed from nothing. If they leave pieces of themselves it is because those pieces were removed before the being was banished to the realm of its origin.
Chaos rules this place. Chaos lies within the walls, the floor, within every stone, every creature but yourselves. Chaos permeates the very air around you. Remember that. Chaos does not control you. Chaos must not control you. Never. Never.
Ameena opened her eyes and was instantly in a crouched position, looking around for the source of the strange voice. It was the one which had spoken to her before, she was sure of it, though it had sounded fainter than before. But she could see nothing but that which had been there when they’d settled down. Fippy was sitting up, yawning. Shadow was already awake and stood at the top of the stairs, staring down into the darkness. The faint shimmer of a newly-cast light spell still hung in the air, and Ameena realised it had probably got dark again while they’d slept. Stumpy was still asleep, but at the sound of activity around him he quickly woke, feeling his arms and legs as he stood.
“Ugh...I knew I’d be aching...” he muttered.
“While I was sleeping, I think that I did hear the voice.” said Fippy suddenly, a little tentatively. “I did hear the same voice that did speak before, when I did wake from the mirror-sleep.”
“Hey, I heard that too!” exclaimed Stumpy.
“As did I.” replied Ameena.
“And I.”
“What did it say to you? It told me I’d better make sure I learn how to cast my potions properly. Fortunately Vi potions aren’t that hard to conjure. And something about chaos. It mentioned chaos before...”
“Yes...I do remember that it did mention the evil. It did tell me that I must be strong. It did say that courage is of much important. And the Chaos does live here, all here, in rock and air.”
“And that it must not be allowed to control us.” finished Ameena. “Yes, it seems to like telling us about chaos. It also told me why the creatures and keys disappear the way they do.”
“Ooh, it did not say to me of that! Why is it that they disappear?”
“Apparently they were made by this chaos-power, and that they are banished back to it when they are destroyed. If a piece of a creature is removed, however, that piece remains behind, as we have seen with the screaming plants.”
“Hmm, yes, that makes sense...” said Stumpy. “What about you, Shadow?”
“It told me we must complete our mission, though we did not ask for it. If we do not succeed, Chaos will touch the furthest reaches of the world, corrupting and distorting everything we have ever known.”
“Everything we have ever known...” muttered Ameena. What did they know, exactly? Not much. A few spells, perhaps, and how to wield a weapon. Ameena couldn’t even do one of those very well. And here they were, awoken from a strange sleep in a strange place, sent on a strange mission to destroy something it didn’t even sound like they could stop. What were they supposed to do?
“We should continue.” spoke Shadow, turning to face the stairs again.
By now they were all ready to continue, so they got back into their two-by-two formation (in case there was anything nasty waiting for them) and proceeded down to the next level of this realm of Chaos.

Remember - comments etc in the other thread please :).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woo, finally, chapter 3!!

When they reached the bottom of this stairway, they found themselves at the end of a corridor which stretched away into the distance. Proceeding cautiously, they began to walk. Ameena looked around, wishing that they weren’t in this horrible stony place. She was completely fed up with the dull grey monotonous walls, the dull grey monotonous floor, and the dull grey monotonous ceiling. It was all the same, constantly. And she was here, forced by threat of starvation and thirst to walk this dreary realm in search of some all-consuming power of destruction, or something, for what reward? Freedom? Death? She supposed she’d find out, if she didn’t get eaten or whatever before she succeeded. At least her companions were bearable, if a little irritating at times.
She scowled at the walls as they walked, cursing them, wishing they’d crumble to dust and reveal glorious sunshine beneath.
Glorious what?
Ameena stopped suddenly, causing Fippy to collide with her tail. He let out a yipe of indignation and looked up at her.
“What are you having stopped for?” he asked.
Ameena had reached out to the top half of the wall. She’d noticed one of the strange rectangular stone switches. Still mildly annoyed about her predicament within this place, she didn’t bother to ask anyone else, but pressed it.
A nearby section of wall suddenly seemed to warp and shift, before dissipating into a thinning cloud of grey smoke. Behind it lay another corridor. The group exchanged glances.
“Which way should we go?” asked Stumpy.
“Perhaps one of us should investigate while the others wait here.” commented Shadow.
“I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to separate...” began Stumpy.
“I’ll go and look. I’m sure I’m a fast enough runner that I can get back here swiftly if anything happens.” spoke Ameena, already striding down the passage. Enough delays. She wanted this mission over as fast as possible. Perhaps then she’d stand a chance of seeing whatever type of realm it was she came from. Surely she wasn’t a creation born of the mirror – if that were true, where would these innate abilities and faint flashes of memory come from? And if they were born of the mirrors, and if the mirrors were created within the dungeon, then that, surely, would make them creations of the Chaos they were meant to be stopping. And that didn’t make sense. But then, wasn’t that the very nature of Chaos?
She stopped at a pile of clothing which lay on the floor. Tasting the air, she could smell nothing in particular, so she crouched down and investigated. There was a set of leather clothing, a pair of soft brown boots, and a small helm with two short horns protruding from the top. Not particularly interested in any of it, she put it in her pack. A few steps further, she found an arrow, a waterskin, and some cheese. These she also put into her pack.
Then she noticed something up ahead. It was a shimmering blue field which phased in and out of visibility. She debated stepping into it, but decided it was probably wiser to avoid it. She hoped there wouldn’t be something nasty on the other side which she’d have to quickly turn tail from.
Stepping through the field when it was gone proved easy, as she’d thought. She walked a little further and found herself at the end of the corridor. There was something on the floor. Ameena picked it up. It was a small, round object with some kind of diagram depicted on one side - There were strange marks around the outside and some kind of pointer which seemed to turn as she did. She presumed it was some kind of direction-finder, but without knowledge of what the markings meant, she figured it was pretty much useless to her. But she supposed one of the others would know, most likely Stumpy or Shadow. Or both.
She made her way back to the group, easily dodging the blue field again. They looked fairly relieved as she approached them.
“What was there?” asked Stumpy. Ameena handed him the direction-finder.
“Ahh, a compass!” he exclaimed. She decided not to ask further about it, figuring that “compass” was merely the “proper” term for “direction-finder”. What was the use of knowing which direction they were facing, anyway, in this realm of dull rock?
As for the clothing, this was dealt out among the others as seemed necessary, Fippy replacing his thin green tunic with the leather one, which seemed to be a stronger material. Stumpy decided to wear the helm, none of the others being particularly interested in it. The boots were of a softer material than leather, though none of them could remember what it was called. Stumpy swapped them with his, since no-one else was particularly interested. The hard dungeon floor was starting to make Ameena’s clawed feet ache a little, but not yet enough, she decided, to warrant covering them with strange materials. Nevertheless, she decided to keep hold of Stumpy’s old leather boots, just in case, and put them in her pack. Fippy kept the waterskin, since he didn’t already have one of his own. The arrow, Stumpy decided to hang on to. True, they didn’t have a bow, but he’d suddenly decided that they might find one eventually. Things now sorted, they could move on.
“We did see something that was strange.” said Fippy to Ameena. “Well, it was not strange, but...”
“What did you see?” asked Ameena, beginning to walk on down the corridor as a hint that she wanted to get on with things. The group followed.
“We did see that your light did follow. The magic light spell must be staying around the one who did cast it. But if we do have all cast a light, they all do stay together, and so it is bright.”
Ameena figured that that seemed rather obvious, though it was true that she hadn’t thought about it before. She’d been casting quite a lot of light spells previously to practice her magic, since the foes they’d met so far fell easily enough to physical weapons as well as magical ones. That, she presumed, was why she hadn’t noticed any change in the light level as she went to explore. Still, they’d have to make sure that they all cast a strong enough light spell before separating in future. Fortunately it was the most simple spell any of them knew, and so it didn’t use much of their internal energy.
Then they reached another junction – another corridor branched off to the left. Ameena started down it, while Shadow continued in the direction they’d been going. Stumpy and Fippy hesitated for a moment, before the former followed Shadow and the latter, Ameena.
Moving slowly, Ameena hadn’t gone far before she heard the sound of bootsteps behind them. She turned to see Stumpy and Shadow approaching.
“All we found was a locked door, and we have no keys.” said Stumpy. “Looks like this is the way to go, for now.”
Ameena nodded and continued down the corridor. Soon they emerged in a fairly large room. Standing in the middle, their light reached to all the walls. Fippy cast another light spell, and it brightened further. He seemed to be casting them at the third level now. Ameena still had trouble with the second. Suppressing a hiss of annoyance, she went to investigate a chest which lay in the corner.
“Choose your door, choose your fate.” announced Shadow suddenly. Ameena looked up and saw that he was reading a message written on the wall. She returned her attention to the chest.
Inside, she found an apple and some more cheese, which she kept, as well as two gold coins. These she also decided to keep, for now. There were also two scrolls, which she handed to Stumpy to read, since he was nearest. He opened the first.
“Ya will create a stamina potion.” he read out, and “Some doors can be opened with a Zo spell.”
Ameena shrugged and inspected the chest again. Fippy joined her.
“I will carry the chest.” he said. Ameena nodded and went to inspect the rest of the room. All around, she could hear faint sounds of movement, though none sounded like the shuffle of a mummy or the quick scuttle of a screamer. Seven paths led away from the room – one was the one they’d just come from. The rest were blocked by closed doors, though she could see that each had a button which should operate them.
“I think it might be wise to simply try these doors in order around the room.” she said, walking over to the door which was the first on the left from the entrance. Etched into the wall outside the door was a small amount of writing.
“What does this say?” she asked of no-one in particular.
“Chambers of the Guardian.” replied Shadow, who stood behind her.
“Guardian must be bad thing.” muttered Fippy nervously. “Do you think perhaps that things can open the doors?”
“We’ve seen no proof of that so far.” replied Stumpy. “Although the mummies were a little...um...ungainly, and the screaming plant things didn’t even have hands, let alone the height to reach a door button. And besides, if the creatures in this place could open and close the doors, don’t you think they’d be roaming round the corridors we’ve already passed through?”
A murmur of agreement went around the group. Ameena reached out and pressed the button. The door, another portcullis (as were all the doors in the room), creaked and rattled as it was winched into the ceiling by whatever hidden force operated it.
“I am hearing steps of feet.” muttered Fippy as Ameena and Shadow stepped through the door.
“So am I. ” replied Ameena. “I’ve been hearing them since we entered this area.”
“No...yes...but these steps are sounding from here.”
Fippy hesitated outside the door as Stumpy stepped through. He had his paws poised as though ready to hurl a fireball, and was sniffing the air nervously.
“How are we to progress if you are so unwilling to follow?” asked Ameena, slightly irritated. “Unless you would rather we left you behind...”
“Battle comes.” said Shadow suddenly.
Ameena returned her attention to what lay ahead, and saw two strange creatures approaching. They were bipedal, and bright blue, with strange hides of neither fur, flesh, nor scale. They were tinged with green flecks, particularly on their lower bodies, and had angry-looking eyes and slobbering tongues. Both held a large wooden club, and both were advancing on the party, their intentions obvious.
“They must have heard the door opening and come to investigate.” said Stumpy.
“What made them come isn’t important – they’re here now, and perhaps it’s better, rather than them taking us by surprise later.” replied Ameena as she hefted her sword and bared her teeth at the oncoming foes.
They reached the party within a few moments, and Ameena noticed that there was another of the creatures behind them. She hoped there weren’t any more, at least until they could ascertain how difficult they were to beat.
Standing two abreast in the corridor, like Ameena and Shadow, both creatures advanced together, and made strange, deep-throated grunts as they entered into battle.
Ameena stepped swiftly back as her opponent’s club came down heavily, aimed at her head. She was glad that neither Fippy nor Stumpy were standing directly behind her at that point, as that could have proved disastrous. As it was, the club swung down in front of her and crashed into the floor. She was surprised it didn’t break. As it was, the creature who’d swung it now had a moment of weakness as it began to lift its club again. Ameena quickly slashed at the exposed neck, but the hide was tough and her sharp falchion did surprisingly little damage.
“Fireballs!” barked Fippy suddenly from behind her. She swiftly crouched as a small orb of flame whizzed over her head, hitting the blue creature full in the face. Beside her, Shadow had also ducked to avoid Stumpy’s fireball, which collided with his foe’s left shoulder.
Still in her crouched position, Ameena slashed at her opponent’s stomach as it stumbled backward, momentarily stunned. It grunted in pain, a line of green ichor forming, and swung its club. Ameena tried to leap backwards, but caught a glancing blow to her right shoulder. Nevertheless, it contained some force, and almost caused her to drop her weapon. She hissed in anger and changed direction, leaping forward and stabbing down with all her might at the creature’s face. It seemed about to try and grunt again, but then dissipated into grey smoke.
Ameena regained her footing and was about to help Shadow with his fight, but then she remembered the third foe just in time as it came charging clumsily forward. Ameena met its charge with one of her own, keeping low and ramming it in the stomach with her right shoulder before it could bring its club down. Beside her, Shadow made an odd-sounding noise of pain as his enemy landed a blow to his left side. With the remaining momentum from her quick charge, Ameena threw herself groundwards, turning her run into a roll and sending the blue-skinned creature tumbling down. Quick as a tongue-flick, Ameena was on her feet again, and plunged her sword into the back of Shadow’s opponent. So hard was her downward thrust that her sword actually lodged in place. Deciding she had no time remaining before her other enemy recovered, she released her sword, danced backward, turned, and leaped onto its back, biting and clawing ferociously. The slimy green blood tasted bitter and foul, but still she attacked her foe relentlessly. She heard the clatter of her sword as it fell to the floor from her last defeated foe, and then leaped suddenly backwards at another warning bark from Fippy. A final fireball crashed into the chest of the blue creature as it stood up from her onslaught, causing it to grunt once more, perhaps more from surprise than pain, before it, too, dissipated harmlessly.
Panting slightly, Ameena recovered her sword. Shadow was drinking a potion Stumpy had just made, and Fippy was looking slightly pleased with himself.
“I did hear them, and smell them, and then I did cast good fireballs, and they did fall and die. I am always not liking the trolls, for they do smell bad, and their hard wood does hurt.”
Ameena looked down at the ground, and noticed that it was covered in splatters of the vile green blood, as well as the clubs of their three fallen foes.
“Trolls?” asked Stumpy.
“Well...I am remembering that I have seen something before that did look like those. I think maybe that they were green...or brown...but they did make sounds like that. So these are blue trolls. Nasty blue trolls.”
“Nasty indeed.” agreed Stumpy. “They looked pretty tough. Sorry I didn’t help a little more in the magic department, but I was busy casting a few potions in case you two came off the worse for wear. But it looks like you handled yourselves pretty well.”
“Thank you for the appraisal.” replied Ameena sarcastically. But she did feel better about having fought and defeated such opponents. It made her feel stronger, somehow.
Fippy sniffed the air again, his ears perked up.
“More of them?” inquired Ameena.
“No...not the blue trolls...but I do hear something. But I am not smelling anything.” He sounded a little confused. An enemy without a scent?
Ameena tested the air too, but couldn’t detect anything apart from the scent of her party, and that of the trolls they had just slain.
“What do you hear?” she asked., knowing that although her hearing was good, Fippy’s was the best of the four of them. He was silent a moment, listening intently. Then he spoke, though he sounded a little unsure.
“I think that...it does sound like...like...when rolling rocks along the ground. And dropping them. Dropping and rolling...” He shrugged and looked around at the group, seeming rather apologetic.
“Moving rocks?” muttered Stumpy. “I hope that’s not the case – how do you harm rock with swords and fire?”
Ameena found herself thinking the same thing, but decided that as they hadn’t seen what was making the sound, they couldn’t be sure it was even a creature that was making it.
The group moved more slowly now, exploring the corridors that lay before them, and making sure that nothing crept up behind them. They found nothing, however, apart from a piece of food on the floor – a small hunk of some kind of meat attached to a bone. Ameena picked it up. It smelt good, but she decided to save it till she’d got through all the other food first. After a short time they came to a shining blue button in the shape of a square set at a diagonal angle, at eye-height to Shadow in the wall. Beside it was a closed portcullis. It seemed logical to believe that the button would open the door, but they could see nothing behind it but a small space.
“Perhaps it’s a prison cell or something.” suggested Stumpy.
Ameena had been looking around for any further sign of the strange, scentless source of the odd rocky noises, but she could see nothing. Fippy looked decidedly nervous, and suddenly Shadow spoke.
“The inscription outside the door of this place named it “Chambers of the Guardian”. Where, then, is the guardian?”
He turned his gaze down the corridor.
“Look! More buttons and doors!” exclaimed Stumpy, pointing at the left-hand wall. It was, indeed, lined with alternating blue buttons and doors, but suddenly they all saw what the “guardian” must be.
Moving slowly toward them was, of all things, a pile of rocks! It wasn’t very big, no higher than waist-height on Fippy and Stumpy, and not quite wide enough to fill the corridor. It seemed to move by rolling, the top rocks tumbling slowly to the ground, and the bottom rocks following by moving up on top of them before rolling down in front. There was a large piece of wood sticking out of it as well, and Ameena wondered if that was where the trolls had got their clubs from.
“How do we kill it?” asked Stumpy. He and Fippy had already moved back a little to give Ameena and Shadow some fighting room, but they couldn’t get any further than a couple of steps away before coming up to the wall, since they were all still standing at the corner.
“I think we’ll be finding out as we go.” replied Ameena, taking a few steps forward, more to give her casting companions some room than from any great desire for combat with this thing.
“It is just rocks...” said Fippy. “Will it throw them? How can it attack?”
An interesting thought. How, indeed, could a pile of rocks harm them? Ameena could see no apparent means by which the creature might throw bits of itself at them, but she was prepared for anything that it might do.
Stepping forward, she slashed at the “creature”, just in case the rocks turned out to be an illusion or some such. But her blade struck stone. Solid stone. It didn’t jar her sword much, however, for the stroke had been lacking in force – it had only been a test, after all. Undeterred, Ameena tried stabbing her sword into the top of the pile, in case there was something soft, perhaps, hidden within.
The creature’s response to such an assault was surprisingly swift, and certainly unexpected. As Ameena plunged her sword in, it passed easily between the rocks. But as soon as the blade was almost to the hilt in rock, the stones suddenly moved together, trapping Ameena’s sword between them, though she still held it. At the same time, and with alarming speed, the rocks lower down on the creature suddenly parted, revealing a bulging reddish-brown...blob...thing...surrounded by a writhing mass of thin tentacles. As Ameena let go of her sword and tried to retreat, the tentacles grabbed her wrist and held it. Just as she tried to pull away, she felt a sudden, sharp pain pierce the back of her hand. She hissed in pain and tried to grab her sword with her left hand, causing the tentacles to try to reach for it. However, such an act released her right hand and she was able to back away.
She quickly looked at her hand. There were two puncture marks where the thing had bitten her (or whatever it was) – it had gone right through the scales as though they were mammalian flesh. She hissed and stepped forward to retrieve her sword, determined not to fall for the same trick again. The creature reared up again as her hand came near, but just as she was about to grab the hilt of her falchion, Shadow’s sword came in as if from nowhere, stabbing into the strange reddish heart of the creature. It let out an unearthly, keening wail and tried to grab Shadow’s sword, but the blade slipped between the stones before they could close. The movement of the creature had also dislodged Ameena’s sword, and Shadow swiftly grabbed it and handed it back to her. She accepted it, and though her hand stung where the creature had bitten her, she could still hold her weapon.
Shadow now attacked again, waving the point of his sword around in front of the creature until it opened up again, revealing its waving tentacles and, she noticed, a pair of sharp fangs. It was like no creature Ameena had ever seen before.
As Shadow stabbed again at the creature’s slimy-looking innards, Stumpy jumped up beside him (for Ameena was standing back now) and hurled a fireball into it. It closed up and seemed to writhe in agony, spilling rocks onto the floor as it seemed to bulge
out from the inside. It reared up at Shadow’s sword once more as he held it out, and again he stabbed it.
“Will this thing not die!?” snarled Ameena, stepping forward to stab it herself. But she needn’t have – the last thrust from Shadow caused it to shriek one last time, and then a grey puff of smoke seemed to ooze out from the now-lifeless pile of rocks.
“I hope those things don’t always take that long to kill.” muttered Stumpy. “Still, I think that fireball did quite well.”
“I think this place is clear now.” said Ameena, somehow irritated that she’d been so stupid in combat, and that one of the casters had even taken her place at the front of the battle. Still, she knew she should be relieved that they’d managed to destroy such a creature. She’d be ready next time. Oh, yes, indeed she would be.
“I have found something else.” said Shadow, who had gone on to explore the rest of the corridor. On the right-hand wall was an eye, carved into the stone. Ameena looked at it, but couldn’t see how it could be of any immediate use. Making sure no-one was looking, she cast a glance at her hand. It didn’t look any different – it still bore the puncture marks of the rock creature’s teeth. And it still stung. Still, it was nothing to worry about. They weren’t about to enter into combat, as far as she could tell, for this corridor was a dead end. She could regenerate from minor injuries fairly quickly, she knew – the slight pain in her shoulder from the troll’s club had faded before they’d encountered the rock creature.
“Maybe one of these buttons opens the door.” Stumpy was saying. She turned round to see what he was talking about. He was standing in front of one of the doors. Ameena approached and looked through the portcullis. On the floor inside the cell lay a chest. Not really in the mood to try and puzzle things out, she reached out with her left hand and pressed the nearest of the blue buttons. A blue-green field suddenly appeared inside the cell. It was only there for a moment, but when it faded, the chest was gone.
“Hmm. Now what?”
“Look! Look! The chest has come by magic to here!” called Fippy from up the corridor, where he’d been sniffing the ground at the point of their last fight to try and see if he could detect any kind of scent amongst the rocks.
Stumpy walked over to the portcullis behind which the chest now sat. He glanced around once, then stretched up and pressed the button beside the door.
“It’s gone again.” he said, already looking to see which door the chest now lay behind. Fippy found it this time, and pressed the button. Ameena watched as the two of them ran back and forth pressing buttons, until at last Shadow made an announcement.
“It is here.”
The dwarf and the canine trotted back down the corridor to investigate the chest, which had appeared on the floor in the corner. Stumpy opened it and reached inside. His hand came out clutching a fairly small, oddly-shaped object. It was blue, but one side of it had a large, flat surface. Ameena looked at it, slightly confused as to what it could be.
“It’s a mirror.” said Stumpy, in answer to her unasked question.
“What use can it be?” inquired Fippy, looking about as though it might give him some clue, if indeed there was a use for such an item.
“Perhaps the eye would like to behold its reflection.” suggested Shadow, reaching out a hand to Stumpy for the mirror. Stumpy handed it over, and then Shadow stepped past Ameena who was still standing by the wall. He held the mirror up to the eye, and for a moment nothing happened. Then the whole wall shook and shimmered, like the one Ameena had found when they’d first descended to this level.
“Combat!” announced Shadow sharply, holding up his sword. Ameena realised that meant that she should be there too, so she stepped up beside him and hoped it wasn’t another of those accursed rock creatures.
She was relieved to find that all she faced was a mummy or two. She didn’t really see how many, only that in a few sword-swipes and with a fireball or two cast by Fippy and Shadow, they were gone. But not before one of them had landed a blow on Ameena’s chest, like the first mummy they’d ever met. Shadow dispatched the annoying creature with a slash to its bandaged neck, and went to investigate this new corridor – it was only short, with no corners.
Ameena hissed sharply as she felt something touch her right hand. She gripped her sword harder, since for some reason she’d felt about to drop it, and looked down. Fippy was sniffing at her hand.
“I am sorry.” he said, backing off and looking up at her. “But I did think perhaps that there is something wrong there.”
“It’s a bite mark, nothing more.” snapped Ameena.
“Here.” said Stumpy, offering her a Vi potion. “Sorry, I should have offered before, but for some reason I didn’t think of it. I’ve no idea why, and again, I’m sorry.”
Ameena glared at him briefly as she accepted the potion. She drank it, and the wound on her hand healed.
“Satisfied?” she asked Fippy as she returned the flask to the dwarf.
“I am sorry.” he said again. “But I did think that it did not smell right.”
Ameena rolled her eyes and turned away. Yet something told her that perhaps he was right. Something didn’t feel right, she was sure. The stinging in her hand had gone, but there was something else, like an ache or sting which she now felt all over her body, as though her very blood had been touched by some kind of pain. She shook her head and decided to see what Shadow had found, but as she took a step forward, her vision suddenly blurred and she almost lost her balance.
“What is this...” she hissed, shaking her head again, although that only caused it to start to ache.
“Have another potion.” said Stumpy, handing one to her. She grabbed it and drank it. Her vision cleared and she felt less about to fell over, but the inner aching persisted, and she felt it growing worse again.
“It is poison!” exclaimed Fippy suddenly. “It did bite, and the poison now works. The poison did leave the creature, so it did not fade when the creature did die.”
“Ah! Of course! How stupid I am, then.” said Stumpy, quickly conjuring some other potion for her. She accepted it but did not drink it straight away. Instead, she held it up and inspected the symbol magically etched into the glass. It was like...like a square with curved corners, two of which (the upper right and lower left) were missing.
“Drink it, and the pain will stop.” said Shadow. “Vi Bro cures poison.”
Deciding that anything would be better than the pain she was in, Ameena quickly downed the contents of the flask. Incredibly, the aching faded almost immediately. Surprised and relieved, she handed the flask back. She felt a little groggy, but she knew that would pass.
“One more, just to restore you fully...” said Stumpy cheerfully as he rummaged inside his backpack with one hand. “Ah, no, none left. One moment...”
Indeed, one moment later, he had conjured another Vi potion. Ameena drank it and felt almost restored to full vitality.
“If we meet one of those things again...” she hissed as she inspected the back of her hand one more time. There was no trace of any injury.
“Yes, we know how to defeat them now.” said Stumpy. “The next one we meet won’t be so lucky as to land a bite. I hope. But be assured I’ll be keeping a flask spare for a poison-curing potion if ever we meet one again.”
“They may not be the only poisonous creatures that we meet.” said Shadow ominously.
“Let us hope any others will be more obvious, then.” muttered Ameena. “Is there anything of interest in this place?”
“Little but this.” replied Shadow, holding out a black hand. In it lay a gold key.
“Presumably that opens the first of those doors back down that first corridor.” said Stumpy. “There must be another one somewhere, then.”
“I wonder what we must do,” mused Fippy, “if ever we do find that we do need a key, but cannot find it. Or if there is no key...”
“Best not to think of such things at all.” hissed Ameena. “If there is nothing else to be gained here, we should move on.”
They returned to the main chamber and opened the next door. The inscription beside the door, as read by Shadow, was “The Vault”. The first thing they found when they entered was a small gold slot inset in the wall and a closed wooden door. Nearby was the inscription “You must pay for your entrance”.
While Fippy and Stumpy were exchanging mystified glances, Ameena stepped forward and held up one of the two gold coins she’d taken from the chest, figuring it the most obvious item to try. She looked at it briefly before inserting it into the slot. It fell through with a clink and there was a faint click. Nothing more happened, however, so Ameena inserted the second coin and hoped she hadn’t just wasted some potentially-useful item. There was another click, however, and the door opened.
Immediately there was a grunting sound and a pair of trolls attacked. Both Ameena and Shadow quickly raised their weapons to repel the onslaught, which came from around the corner immediately on the other side of the newly-opened door. Ameena slashed at the face of her nearest assailant, noticing as it drew back that there was also a mummy or two emerging from around the corner.
“This isn’t the best position from which to throw a fireball!” exclaimed Stumpy.
Shadow started to move away, toward the door they’d first come through. Ameena followed, still hacking at the nearest troll. No sooner had they backed through the door, however, when it suddenly began to close. The two trolls, who had been pressing after them, let out simultaneous grunts of obvious pain as they both received a solid clout to the head from the closing door. Shadow’s opponent managed to back away in time, but Ameena’s, half-blinded by the vile green blood oozing from its eyes, soon dissipated into grey smoke as the door finish closing on top of it.
Startled, Ameena looked around, but relaxed a little when she saw Fippy standing near the door button.
“I am sorry.” he said. “I just did wonder if perhaps the door may be used as a weapon.”
“A very effective weapon, from the looks of it!” commented Stumpy as he peered at the green mess of troll blood on the floor in front of them.
“Indeed.” said Ameena, hefting her sword. “And it seems that they lack knowledge of how to operate it themselves.”
Indeed, there was now one (severely wounded) troll and two or three mummies milling around behind the door. Shadow reached out to open it again.
“We will throw our spells when the door does open.” said Fippy.
Shadow nodded and pressed the button, then he and Ameena stepped out to each side as a pair of fireballs went whizzing through. Shadow also cast one and Ameena quickly prepared and hurled one of her own while the mummies were flailing about with flaming bandages.
Moments later, as the death-smoke cleared, all that they could see were several splats of green blood, a bit of ash, and a solitary mummy shuffling toward them from around the corner. This they quickly dispatched, as well as one more which came at them after they went through the doors.
“Efficient.” murmured Shadow.
“Entertaining.” muttered Ameena. “Now perhaps we can bring such a fate upon one of those accursed rock creatures.”
A little further on they came upon another wall inscription, and near that a large pit in the floor through which they could see nothing but darkness. Across the pit was a closed door. Ameena looked expectantly at Shadow as she waited for him to read the inscription.
“This one reads “Prove you are a Wizard”.”
“That door has a button.” said Stumpy, pointing. “Maybe we can throw something with enough accuracy to hit it, and...”
“And then how are we supposed to cross the pit?” inquired Ameena.
“I...well, I don’t know...”muttered Stumpy. “But maybe there’s something behind the door which will help us close the pit.”
“Wizard...” muttered Fippy. He held out his paws and a set of Fireball runes he’d had ready appeared in the air. These he scrubbed out with one paw and then drew out another spell – Lo, and another rune Ameena didn’t quite recognise. It looked like three adjoining circles.
“Zo.” said Fippy, pointing at it before gathering the two runes together and turning to face the door.
“Open Door spell!” exclaimed Stumpy in realisation as Fippy threw the spell at the closed door.
The spell glowed, but not in the same way as a fireball - it was an odd, bluish colour and rather dim. It sailed through the air and hit the door with an odd, almost ringing sound. Immediately the door winched upwards, and Fippy assumed an understandable look of satisfaction.
“I think I can see a way by which we can cross the pit.” said Ameena as she looked across and through the door. There was a large touch-stone visible, and while there was no obvious sign that it might close the pit, none of them could see anything else which might be of any help.
“Maybe one of us can jump across to it...” suggested Stumpy. Ameena checked the area beside the pit.
“There would be no room for me to run up to it before leaping.” she said. “I wouldn’t want to risk falling.”
“Perhaps maybe we can throw an item which shall land there, and work it.” piped up Fippy, searching through his pack.
Stumpy stood as near to the edge of the pit as he dared and threw a rock across it. It bounced and struck the touch-stone, which sunk into the ground with a kind of click. Then the air inside the pit seemed to shift and stones started to appear, covering it. Soon there was no sign that it had ever been there.
“It may be an illusion...” cautioned Shadow, stepping forward. He crouched and reached out a hand toward where the edge of the pit had been, but touched solid stone. The pit, it seemed, had indeed been closed.
Continuing around the next corner they found an alcove in the wall, an open door, and a loaf of bread on the floor. Shadow took the bread, and Ameena picked up a silver coin which lay inside the alcove. Immediately the open door closed. Fippy let out a yipe of startled indignation, for he had been sniffing around the door. Ameena quickly replaced the coin and it reopened.
There appeared to be another problem, however, when they immediately discovered a silver coin slot on the wall and a closed door. This was quickly solved when Stumpy placed another rock in the alcove, which worked just as well as the coin had.
Ameena now held the silver coin, and was about to put it into the slot when they all heard familiar sounds coming from behind the door – the thudding of troll footsteps, and the stony tumblings of a rock creature.
“How close, do you think?” asked Stumpy of those with better hearing.
“Close enough to be through this door, I think,” answered Ameena, “but not so close as to storm us as soon as I insert this coin.”
She now inserted the silver coin into the slot. It clicked, and the door beside them opened. They stepped through and the corridor turned right. Fippy increased the light level slightly, for it had started to dim, though at the moment the corridor ahead was clear. They began to move down it, but then a definite sound from up ahead slowed them. It was unmistakably a rock creature, and now they saw it, making its slow, rolling way toward them.
A fireball whizzed past close to Ameena’s shoulder, and involuntarily she ducked out of the way, though the spell was already far down the corridor. It collided with the rock creature but didn’t seem to do much damage, though the creature did seem to stop and shudder for a moment. But then it continued slowly toward them. Gripping her sword, Ameena silently bared her teeth at the creature, if creature it could be called. But if it had eyes, and if it looked and saw her, it made no sign.
Taking a couple of steps forward, Ameena closed the distance between them. Somehow it felt like a personal challenge to slay one of these creatures, regardless of whether or not anyone was helping her to do so. She wanted to hurt them, get in the killing blow on one. Mummies, trolls, and screaming plants were one thing, but not like this. This was a challenge. One of these things could have killed her, and if Fippy hadn’t figured out she’d been poisoned, that idiotic dwarf wouldn’t have done a thing about it.
For a moment she almost paused to rethink that last thought, but now her foe was upon her. Well, it was close enough to attempt a strike. She tested its reactions by waving the tip of her sword around in front of it. Predictably, the rocks shifted and the tentacles came out to grab her blade. She quickly slashed at them and aimed a stab at the pulsating centre. At the same time she saw Shadow move up beside her and perform a similar attack. The creature recoiled, closing itself up as they withdrew their swords to save them from being trapped.
But the sounds of trollish footsteps, ever-present in this region, now sounded clearly from directly ahead of them, away down the corridor beyond the creature they were currently fighting. She couldn’t tell how many there were, since the sounds of their footsteps was intermingled, but Ameena knew that there had to be a fair few of them, maybe three or more.
She taunted the rock creature with her sword again, and again she slashed and stabbed at its fanged heart when it opened itself to grab at her. Again Shadow did likewise, and again the thing closed up in pain. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Ameena felt like the two casters should be doing something, but her desire for personal revenge against one of these things outweighed her urge to tell them to help in some way rather than standing there watching.
Then she let out a hiss of annoyance, for in between strikes Ameena had glanced down the corridor. A pair of blue trolls was approaching, murderous gleams in their eyes and sharp splinters protruding from their heavy wooden clubs. Angrily, Ameena stabbed again and again at the rocky being in front of her. How could a small pile of rubble be so hard to destroy?
The trolls were almost upon them. They didn’t seem to have the intelligence to try and step around the rock creature (which blocked most of the floor space anyway), so instead they tried swinging their clubs above it. One narrowly missed Shadow as he backed away from a strike at the rock creature. Ameena tried her best to ignore their clumsy swipes as she continued to strike at the rock creature, just wishing it would die. Acting on a sudden impulse, she reversed her sword and smashed with the hilt at a rock on top of the pile. She was half-surprised when it came flying off and thudded into the knees of one of the trolls. The rock creature shuddered again and let out a shriek, but now Ameena noticed a new threat – there was another of the things waiting behind the pair of trolls, and behind that, more trolls! They surely couldn’t fight their way through all this group in one battle – it was tiring enough just fighting a single rock beast. But Ameena felt she had the energy, if only to kill this first foe.
Now concentrating all her effort on just finishing this thing off, Ameena leaned forward in the hopes of delivering a final thrust into the beast’s vile heart. This was a mistake, however, and one which would cause her irritation for long afterwards. She was suddenly thrown sideways by the impact of a club into the side of her head, since leaning forward had put her within range of one of the trolls. It knocked her into the wall and she gasped. Her head felt like it was about to explode, but she had to kill this damned creature!
“I think we’d better make some tracks...” advised Stumpy nervously from behind her.
Ameena hissed in anger as she fought through a haze of pain to bring a finishing blow to this creature. Retreat? When this foe was nearly down? No!
She stabbed at the creature once more, just as Shadow finished off another attack and the rocks were closing together. As with the first of these creatures, her sword was trapped in a grip of stone, and she was forced to release it before she was bitten again.
“I don’t see you hastening to finish the battle!” she hissed loudly to the casters without turning round.
“We are!” replied Stumpy’s voice, and it came from some distance away. “It’s just that we’re not trying to finish it by getting ourselves killed!”
Ameena’s hiss became a growl. She turned round.
“I...am...not...” she began, but she was cut off as Shadow shoved her sword at her, hilt first, having just retrieved it from the rock beast’s maw. She took it and started to turn back to the fight, but the rest of the group was retreating and the rock creature was advancing toward her feet. Furious but unwilling to continue alone with the state her head was in at the moment, Ameena stormed back down the corridor, passing through the silver coin door but stopping for a moment and turning back. Maybe she could just finish it off...
She suddenly decided she didn’t care. She charged forward, and the creature seemed to open up to greet her. She thrust her sword into the midst of the tentacles as they writhed out. She almost expected to feel the painful pinch of poisonous fangs on the back of her hand again, but suddenly she was surrounded by grey smoke. The pile of rocks collapsed at her feet and she received another clout to the side of her head for her trouble. But she didn’t care – she’d killed it! At last!
Now turning round, she tried to make for the door. She had a feeling she wasn’t walking straight as the world seemed to whirl and spin with every half-step.
“Quickly!” cried Stumpy, reaching out as she passed through the door and snatching the rock from the alcove. Ameena staggered through the door as it started to close, every grunt of the trolls close behind her seeming vastly magnified.
Then the door was closed. They were safe again. For now. Ameena sat down heavily in one corner and reached up to touch her head, though she quickly decided against that action in case it caused more pain.
“You do like to get your revenge don’t you?” reprimanded Stumpy as he handed her a Vi potion. She snatched it off him, more out of a desire to end the pain than from any remaining anger toward him.
“I am not some hatchling, to be ordered about and controlled by others.” she retorted once she’d drunk it and her head felt immeasurably better.
“I know...but...well, I’d been led to believe you were pretty good at combat,” said Stumpy, “but just then, you...well, in my opinion, you took some pretty stupid risks just to kill something that we were going to finish off anyway.”
“Let one of them bite you, and then see how you feel.” she snapped, not in the mood to continue the conversation. She didn’t need some mammal to tell her she’d made mistakes in that fight – she knew she had. Any fool could see that. But she’d just had an almost insane urge to slay the hated creature as quickly as possible. She’d always thought she had the ability to remain relatively calm and level-headed in combat, but she’d completely disproved that idea now.
“I am sorry that I did not help with casting there.” said Fippy. He always seemed to be apologising for something when he wasn’t running away from it. “But I did think that as you were being so close, I did not want to throw the fireball and burn you. You were fighting so close to the creature...”
He trailed off and the group sat in silence for a few moments. They could hear the sounds of the trolls behind the door. Finally, Stumpy heaved a sigh.
“Shall we get on with it, then?” he asked. “At least these trolls are easier to finish off than those rock monsters.”
“True.” muttered Ameena, standing before the door and waiting for it to open. She held her falchion firmly in her scaled, clawed hand. The weapon was probably getting rather blunt now, the amount of times she’d used it. At least she hadn’t tried hacking at the stones of the rock creature with it – she’d probably have notched the blade or broken it completely.
Stumpy replaced the rock, and the door opened once again. Immediately the pair of trolls stepped up, clubs waving and ready to come down upon the heads of their opponents.
“Keep them in the doorway!” exclaimed Stumpy as Ameena and Shadow began the fight. “We can take them without injury, I think...”
He removed the rock again, and the door came down with a thud upon the heads of the two trolls. They didn’t last long. Not even the following rock creature did (once Stumpy opened the door again), and as it travelled so slowly it couldn’t crawl out of the doorway fast enough before taking some brutal damage.
Mere moments later, it seemed, there was nothing but a few clubs and other pieces of wood, a scattered pile of rocks, and the faint and fading remains of a cloud of grey smoke. Stumpy looked upon the ruin in satisfaction.
“Well, that takes care of that!” he said, pleased.
“We should not fight everything this way.” said Shadow.
“Why not?” asked the dwarf.
“We should not become used to using that which we may not always have.” explained Shadow. “And our skill will not improve if we do not fight the creatures ourselves.”
Stumpy didn’t reply. Shadow didn’t speak much, but when he did, it seemed, it was to point out something which the rest of them had missed. And so far, Ameena thought, he’d been right.
“I think we should apply more concentration during our battles.” she put in. “We might slay those things faster if we each know what the other is doing.”
Somewhere, in the back of her mind, there seemed a flash as of something she’d done before. Somehow she had a feeling that working together to outwit an opponent, rather than simply charging it en masse, generally worked better.
“I am not saying that I am thinking you have a bad idea,” piped up Fippy, “but I am thinking that it is most times hard to be casting a fireball in the fight because I am not wanting to burn you fighting.”
“I think the only solution to that problem is for you to try to cast your spells around us as we fight.” said Ameena. “My scales can resist heat, to a certain extent, and your fireballs are not yet at the strongest level of power. I doubt you’ll harm me at the moment unless you actually hit me. I know your skill better than that, so I will not fear fire during the battles.”
“Unless it comes from one of our enemies...” muttered Stumpy. He had a point, but so far they hadn’t met anything with the capacity to cast spells.
Further exploration of the area yielded little more of interest other than some more coins (three coppers and a silver), a little food, a second gold key, and another blue troll, which they quickly dispatched. They returned once again to the main chamber.
“I am not thinking that I know this word.” said Fippy as he peered up at the inscription outside the next door. “What is a “Matt..rix”...?”
“That’s “May-trix”.” corrected Stumpy. “I think it’s sort of a system of interconnecting tubes or tunnels which form a pattern.”
“It is.” confirmed Shadow as he pressed the door button.
Entering, they could hear no immediate sounds of approaching creatures. They came almost immediately to a junction and paused to have a look around. Nearby, the corridor seemed to divide in either direction – there were junctions all over the place.
“We don’t seem to be in any kind of immediate danger.” commented Stumpy. “I wonder how big this place is...should we split up and explore?”
“Splitting up in a simple corridor is one thing,” replied Ameena in anticipation of Shadow. “but this area is more complex. We also have no idea how big it is – if one of us were to come under threat, we may not be able to find and assist them.”
“I am not smelling any things alive here.” said Fippy, sniffing the air.
“We should still move with caution.” advised Ameena, listening intently and testing the air herself.
“Places with no creatures may be more dangerous than those guarded by great hordes.” added Shadow.
“Well, that makes me feel better...” muttered Stumpy.
They moved forward to the next intersection in front of them and peered around.
“Surely we cannot explore this whole area like this?” said Ameena suddenly. “There is such a thing as being too cautious...”
She strode forward to the next intersection, but stopped abruptly at a sudden bark from Fippy.
“You turned!” he exclaimed. “What was that? I did not see you turn yourself, but you did just turn as if a corner.”
“What?” asked Ameena turning round. But she couldn’t see the group. They weren’t in front of her, but they should have been.
“See? See? You did turn!” cried Fippy from off to her right. “You did just think that we were behind you!”
Ameena turned now to face them, surprised.
“A maze, then.” she said, looking around in distaste at the grey stone walls. They were exactly the same as all the other grey stone walls of this dreary place, but these bore an extra threat – these walls were working to confound her. Their uniformity had made her unaware that she’d been turned round. She scowled, suddenly feeling a deep hatred for the whole subterranean realm. She felt like diving at the walls and trying to claw her way out. But she knew that would prove fruitless – they were too deep beneath the ground, she knew, for there to be anything beyond the grey stone blocks surrounding them. And she’d blunt her claws to the bone before she made any mark on the accursed rock.
Navigating the area proved easier than they’d first expected, however. Ameena continued to explore, with Fippy behind her telling her when she was spun around by the floor. If he stepped on a spinner he could simply turn till he faced her again. Shadow did the same with Stumpy, swiftly crossing each intersection in search of, presumably, a gold key like the two they’d found in the previous two areas. It turned out that the area wasn’t that big, but apart from some cheese and a couple of arrows, they couldn’t find anything but dead ends. Shadow continued to explore, while Stumpy examined the walls as he followed behind. Ameena was angrily scowling at the walls as she stood in one place deciding what to do. Fippy, meanwhile, was sniffing and poking around in each of the dead ends. Suddenly he let out a bark of excitement.
“Here! Here!” he called, tail wagging. “I think that I have found something!”
“What is it?” asked Ameena as she and the others came over.
“Look!” said Fippy, pointing proudly at a wall in one of the dead ends.
Ameena looked, and saw a small round stone, set between two of the huge blocks making up the wall. It had to be a button.
“Hidden buttons now...” muttered Ameena in irritation.
“I should’ve spotted that.” grumbled Stumpy. “I think I have an affinity with stone, anyway. At least, something about being a in a stony, underground realm feels more familiar to me than it seems to for you.”
“If you’d been looking there, perhaps you would have seen it.” said Ameena. “No sense in wasting more time, now. Fippy...?”
The canine looked at her for a moment, puzzled.
“You found it. Press it.”
“Oh!”
He reached out and pressed the button. There was a click.
They looked around, half-expecting a huge horde of blue trolls to come stampeding down on them. Nothing happened. Ameena felt like tearing the button out of the wall and ramming it between the fangs of a rock monster.
Shadow started to move away, however, looking around as he did so. The others slowly followed his cue, checking the walls to see if anything had changed. It didn’t take long for them to find it, however – at the end of the corridor, one wall had either changed shape or disappeared (Ameena hadn’t made any effort to memorise its structure before, so didn’t know exactly what pressing the button had done to it). On the floor lay a piece of thin (and therefore useless, compared to their leather) clothing, a curved sword which Ameena didn’t like as much as her falchion, and the gold key they knew they’d been looking for.
As there was nothing more to see in this area, they (eventually) found their way back to the door and moved on to the next area, identified by Shadow as “Time is of the Essence”. Ameena wasn’t sure she liked the sound of that, but they (most likely) had to go in. They did, and ended up passing through a confusing array of puzzles, mainly involving pressing buttons in order to open walls and close pits, followed by a large amount of running before said walls and pits closed or opened again. Eventually, they managed to work their way through and were greeted by a pair of blue trolls. These were easily dispatched and the area’s gold key found on the floor in the corner of the room they’d been guarding.
Fortunately, getting out of that area proved a lot more easier than working their way in, since there were various buttons and such which kept the walls open and the pits closed once they’d been passed and their puzzles solved.
“Next?” inquired Ameena wearily as they approached the penultimate of the six chambers.
“It is the “Room of the Gem”.” reported Shadow, opening the door.
In here, they found several items of food scattered around, as well as several of their new friends, the rock creatures. These they mercilessly battered to death with their true new “friends”, the doors. Whether Shadow disapproved of this tactic or not, he said nothing against them killing the rock creatures this way. The few trolls and mummies they met they dispatched with fair ease and continued on their way, leaving ashes, green blood-marks, and splintered clubs in their wake. The goal of this area, it seemed, was to find a gem which they were to insert in a gem-shaped slot outside a closed door.
Eventually they found the gem. It was blue, and gleamed brightly in the magic light. When they inserted it into the slot the door opened immediately, and the fifth gold key awaited them in the room beyond.
The final section leading off the main chamber was “Creature Cavern”. At least that name was fairly self-explanatory. They strode in, swords flashing, fireballs flying, and more or less massacred their way through the area – Ameena and Shadow would engage the creatures (mostly blue trolls with a few mummies thrown in) in melée, while Fippy and Stumpy would cast fireballs as they could, managing to hit their foes rather than their companions. Grunting, snarling, hissing, moaning, eventually all fell before them, dissipating into the air as their physical forms were destroyed.
Compared to the rooms they’d come through before Creature Cavern, Ameena thought that this place was much easier, despite the heavier physical toll it took in combat. At least there were no rock creatures here, no confounding puzzles to solve, and no endlessly-twisting corridors concealing tiny buttons she’d never think of looking for. Once they’d killed everything they could find and grabbed the gold key from a corner, they made their way back through the main chamber, and headed left down the corridor to the door Stumpy and Shadow had found. There was indeed a gold lock beside it. They tried one of the gold keys in it, and it worked. Beyond that door was another, identical and with an identical lock. And beyond that, a third door, again the same.
Beyond this they found an alcove before the corridor continued on, winding away to the left. In the alcove, however was a key like none they’d found so far on their journey. It was finely-wrought, gold in colour, and seemed to gleam with some inner light of its own. Rather than being rounded at one end like the other keys they’d found, this one was shaped as though it had been a three-dimensional, spiked ball which had been stepped on and squashed flat – it had points horizontally, vertically, and diagonally and reminded Ameena of the directions shown on the compass she’d found. Yet there was something else about this key, about the shape. It reminded her of something else...
“May I see that key?” asked Fippy politely, holding out a paw for it. Ameena handed it to him and he looked at it for a moment before looking up.
“I think that this is Ra.” he said. “A rune-key? I have not heard of it before. Perhaps it is used to open magic things.”
“I have heard of “Ra”...” said Ameena slowly, dredging her memory as she did so. “I know it is a rune, but...”
“It is the rune of Light.” explained Shadow. Ameena was slightly confused.
“We do not use Ra for our light spells. Surely Ful is the rune of light?”
“Maybe Ra is the “true” rune of light, and the Ful rune is more like a lesser version of it.” suggested Stumpy. “Ir, I know, is the shape of a wing. Therefore, light plus wings makes a fireball.”
Ameena nodded, then shrugged.
“Whatever this key is for, I think it is probably valuable. More so than any other keys we have found.”
“I think it will help us...” murmured Shadow.
“All the keys we’ve found so far have helped us.” said Stumpy. “Well, apart from those we haven’t used yet, obviously.”
“No...” said Shadow. He seemed almost to be talking to himself. He reached toward Fippy and grasped the key, but did not take it. He appeared to be concentrating, perhaps trying to remember something. Finally he let go of the key.
“I think it is...something to do with our goal. But I cannot remember more.” he said after a moment. “Guard it well.”
Fippy looked down at the key he held, then put it in his pack. Ameena looked around and saw another alcove nearby, containing a scroll. She picked it up and opened it, though she knew she couldn’t read it. It contained two runes.
“What is this spell?” she asked, handing the scroll to the nearest person, who happened to be Fippy.
“It does say that...the spell of the runes “Des Ew” weaks...weakens...non...non...”
His canine face frowned, and he proffered the scroll to Stumpy.
“The spell “Des Ew” weakens non-material beings.” he said after reading it.
“I remember that spell, now.” said Shadow. “Harm Non-Material Being. I think we may need it soon.”
“Show me those runes again...” said Ameena. She wanted to make sure she remembered how to cast this one, since it didn’t feel like something she’d cast very often before. She sketched a Lo rune in the air, and then the two other runes beside it once Stumpy handed her back the scroll. Then she cast the spell, mainly out of curiosity as to what it looked like. It reminded her of the Zo spell Fippy had cast before, only this one had a more eerie glow, and strange colours glowed at its heart as it sailed away from her and disappeared down the corridor.
“A non-material being...” she muttered. “Something intangible, then.”
“Yes.” replied Shadow as he began to move off down the corridor. The others followed, and soon they came to another door with a gold lock, and through that a room with another door and gold key lock, as well as a downward staircase. They could hear the rocky tumble of a rock creature or two behind the wooden door, and all exchanged glances as they stood before it.
“If we don’t open it,” reasoned Stumpy, “we’ll probably miss something vitally important. But if we do, there’ll probably be nothing in their but a group of those irritating rock things.”
“It would not be good for us to come back this way from a long distance into further on.” said Fippy. “They are hard to kill, but perhaps they will be more easy if we do kill more of them.”
“I hate the things, but it would be most logical for us to face them before we venture down those stairs.” said Ameena with a sigh.
“Have fireballs ready.” said Shadow, who held their two remaining gold keys. “Do not cast them, however, until the creatures open out to us.”
The others nodded, and runes were quickly drawn. The entire group had prepared a fireball each, and Ameena and Shadow held their swords ready. Shadow inserted the key, and as it broke and faded away, the door opened. Two rock monsters came out to greet them, and it was suddenly as if they’d rehearsed the battle. Ameena and Shadow threatened the creatures with their swords until they opened up and outstretched thin, writhing tentacles for them. Then they quickly changed tack and hurled their fireballs at the creatures. Fippy and Stumpy did the same, one to each rock beast. Both creatures closed up and emitted shrieks of pain. After a few further sword-taunts, stabs, and slashes, both crumbled away, their red-brown hearts dissipating.
On the floor they found a flask (which they left, since it would only take up unnecessary space), and some kind of chainmail tunic armour. Ameena hefted it, but decided not to wear it as she preferred to remain light and agile in combat, and this armour was rather heavy. Shadow wore it instead. He looked rather strange now, all in black with a dull metal tunic.
On the wall, Stumpy found another button. This he pressed, and they quickly found that it had opened a wall nearby, just outside the rock creatures’ room. Two trolls came out to face them, but didn’t last long. Shadow took a glancing blow to his right shoulder, but this was quickly amended by Stumpy once they’d dispatched the simple blue menace. Inside this small room, they found a plain, straight sword and two drumsticks. Ameena considered swapping weapons, but decided against it since she still preferred the simple falchion. If she found something that felt stronger, she’d use it, but until then she’d stick with what she had.
Now they came to the top of the stairs. Peering down into the gloom, Ameena suddenly realised how tired she was. They hadn’t rested much during their busy trek through this level of the grey realm, she thought, but it had been enough to tide them over for the battles they’d had. But they didn’t know what awaited them below, so it was probably a good idea.
“We should sleep, as we did before.” she said aloud.
“I agree.” said Stumpy, yawning suddenly. Fippy seemed to have been expecting the suggestion, and was already curling up on the floor in a corner away from the stairs. The rest of them assumed their respective sleeping positions nearby, and kept their weapons close and a fireball stored ready. As sleep came for her once again, Ameena wondered what strange dreams would come to her this time. Would the voice speak again? She’d mostly forgotten it in the actions of her last time of wakefulness...
I cannot reach into the deepest depths. The deeper you go, the less you will hear me. I cannot come to you much more as your quest proceeds. You have one of the items you need. Do not give up. Do not give in. Fight the minions of Chaos. Find the staff, the fabled staff, where it rests untouched. Chaos will try to stop you. He is already doing so. He must not. He must not control you. Remember to fight only Chaos and his creations. They will come for you. You must be ever-ready. Even sleep may be no haven, but do not grow weak. Continue as you are. Lord Chaos must be stopped.
Then the voice faded, and there was a strange garble of patterns and sounds. Not true sounds, but sounds such as you hear in dreams. She could define nothing, however, and the odd string of random blurriness ended with a sudden image of...of nothing. Of darkness, totally black.
Ameena awoke. At least, she thought she was awake. All around her was dark and she suddenly felt strangely alone, though she could taste the close scents of her three companions as she flicked her tongue in and out. She’d awoken first, she realised, as the last vestiges of sleep left her. The light spells had faded, and so left them in darkness. She wondered what it had been like for whoever had woken first last time.
As she held up her previously-prepared fireball spell and removed the Ir rune from it to cast a light spell, she thought about the voice. It had been fainter that time, and she wondered how much further she’d go before she stopped hearing it entirely. What had it said? More about stopping Chaos, but it had said that every time. They had to get the “staff”. She still didn’t know what staff it meant. And that was the first time she’d heard this dreaded Chaos referred to by any kind of title. Lord Chaos? Was he some kind of mammal, then? She knew some of their species organised themselves into societies with strange titles such as that. Yet, she knew, that probably wasn’t it. If the physical (if indeed he was a physical being) manifestation of chaos was some kind of creature, it wouldn’t be a simple mammal.
She cast another couple of light spells as she thought further on the dream. Again, it had told her about Chaos controlling her. Well, it...he...wouldn’t