Start screen corridor graphics

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Toni Y
Adept

Start screen corridor graphics

Post by Toni Y »

(Not sure if this is anywhere close to correct forum to stick this topic)

Does anyone know where the short corridor seen in the start screen while the doors open is stored? In it's place there's just orange mask in the title screen and I couldn't find a bitmap of the corridor anywhere in the graphics set after extracting PCDM graphics.dat with DMextract.

It isn't dynamicly generated either from the usual corridor graphics, as I changed the wall graphics, and the corridor bit still looked like the usual does...

So where the heck is it?
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It *Is* generated by the game -- you must be doing something wrong.

However, it doesn't simply show you the first corrdior of your dungeon -- it's hardcoded to show a single corridor with an opening on the right three tiles away.

So if your opening dungeon corridor doesn't match that, then once the game switches from start screen to actual dungeon, you will notice the corridor change... it's best to design your first corridor to be the same.

It works for me.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

I didn't mean it isn't generated by the game. I meant it's NOT generated with the regular wall graphics. I altered my wallgraphics, but the corridor didn't change. So obviously the graphics used to draw the corridor are somewhere else...

Screenshot of of the corridor when the door opens:

Screenshot of the corridor ingame:
Toni Ylisirniö
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Aaahhh... I see -- if you make a signifcant change to your graphics, you'll notice the difference.

The front screen uses a different palette to the game, and the red position is actually a light brown on the title screen. I would have expected the game to simply show that, but in fact it must be remapping colours...

Draw something big on your wall in green to see that's working. Trust me, it does work!
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

We discussed this in the chat... Here's referate. I'm using PCDM, and dispite making modifications that ought to be visible ( http://viila.lethalcode.net/start3.png ) the corridor was still pristine. Gambit on the other hand knows from experience that CSBWin draws using the in-game corridor graphics... So PCDM does things differently.

The question remains. Where the heck does PCDM dig up the graphics? Anyone know?
Toni Ylisirniö
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There are a load of extra files in the PC version, so I imagine it's in one of those. I'm not going to look into it though!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

This is interesting. I have looked into this and I have found the "missing" image. It is a 224x136 pixels IMG3 stored in the file SELECTOR at offset 3E50h.
Note that the SELECTOR file is a compressed program, see here for how to uncompress it: http://dmweb.free.fr/TDDMPC.htm
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, that's cool -- so Tony could conceivably replace the image then? He'll be pleased!

I bet it's a lot of work though... no tools for doing that yet.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Interesting... I'll take a look.
Toni Ylisirniö