Infinite Money - I did it once, now I can't reproduce it

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
2,4,6-trinitrotoluene
Neophyte

Infinite Money - I did it once, now I can't reproduce it

Post by 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene »

Hey everyone. Today I figured out how to turn lead into gold, or more specifically, turn gold into higher priced gems. Unfortunately, after doing the process, I tried repeating it in a brand-new game, but I couldn't get it to work again.

Here's what I was doing before I got it to work, just in case someone else can pull it off again. I had three members in my party (Torham, Bane, Saros), and I had been using the item duplicator cheat to take chestplates off of Equus in his suspended animation chamber-thingy. I'm talking about the cheat where you click on their portrait, click on the item you want, press the spacebar which pops up your party leader, and drop the item in his backpack, then right-click to close the window. The drawback to this is that the game freezes when you put two of the same duped item on the floor or table anywhere. The same applies to coins.

And coins are exactly what I was in business for. I was really sick of doing the process of burdening my characters to well beyond the red zone with the chestplates and selling them one at a time (at risk of crashing the game if you did more than one). I decided that it would be quicker to just take straight cash from the characters to build up my cash reserves. The only problem - if you try to pay with more than one duplicated gold coin, the game crashes.

Here's where I made a fortunate accident: I went to Kol De Tac's portait because he had cash. I filled up my moneybox with tons of duped gold coins - the game did not crash. I put the moneybox on the floor - the game did not crash. I tried to take some coins out. I was taking them out one at a time, but after I took out about 4 or 5, I accidentally clicked on the silver coin slot, and all of the duped gold coins in my inventory turned into silver coins. I immediately clicked on my blue gem, and yes, all of the duped coins turned into blue gems. I had been taking the same gold coin out of Kol De Tac's inventory every time, keep in mind. I looked back in KDT's inventory from his portrait on the wall, and one of the gold coins there had turned into a blue one - the same one that I had been duping. Anyway, you could take all of the blue coins you wanted and put them on the ground and the game would not crash - wonderful.

Only problem: I can't duplicate this. Go ahead and try what I did. Maybe there was something else I did that made it work. I kind of remember playing around with some weird ideas. For example - after you click on a gold piece and press space, your characters' pictures are at the top of the screen, and so is KDT's picture, even though he is not part of your party. You can click the coin on any of your characters' health bars to drop it into their inventories without bringing them up - you can even do it to KDT's inventory, even though it does not add it to his inventory.

Anyway, if you have any ideas or good leads, or if this has already been done before, let me know.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

WOW. That is INSANE. I have about 24 blue gems in my current game, and I have purchased all of the limited items in the stores, but all of this was done legally by selling axes. I would help you, but I haven't yet been able to get DM2 running under Win98. It runs fine on my Mac, but the Mac version doesn't have cheat :cry:
2,4,6-trinitrotoluene
Neophyte

Post by 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene »

Okay, I was able to do it again, but I was trying a whole bunch of stuff and I don't know what made it happen.

Here are some of the stuff I think will help do it:
1. Use the money box in the alcove with the painting over it.
2. Go to Kol De Tac and always take the same gold coin from his portait without choosing him as a character.
3. Add a dozen of these duped coins to your money box.
4. NOTE - as you take duped coins from your inventory and place them into the box, the game almost always crashes when you try to exit from the inventory screen. Instead of exiting, save the game. This will take you back to the 1st-person view when it is done saving. A lot of times it will freeze while saving. Don't worry - the data gets saved. Just reload and you will have the coins in your box.
5. Trade in the money box to a merchant (I always used the Armor merchant)
6. Go back and take a dozen coins from Kol De Tac again and put them ONLY in your inventory.

Here is the uncertain part - you'll have to experiment with these steps a lot and possibly repeat any of the previous steps.

Take 3 or 4 of the duped coins from your inventory and put them in your money box, still keeping the inventory screen open. Take out a green gem and place it in your inventory. Put in some more gold coins. Put the green gem back in the box. Take out more coins. Take out the gem. Experiment with different orders of taking out coins or taking out the gem or them in the box. You know you've got it when all of the gold coins in your inventory turn into green gems, and the gold coin you repeatedly took from Kol De Tac will be a green gem.

You can do this to get red or blue gems too
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Sounds like a pointer error. Man, don't you just love crappy video game coding?

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”