Death Row

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Froud
Artisan

Death Row

Post by Froud »

I am sure this has already been covered somewhere, but could anyone explain how to enter Death row? I seem to remember getting in there decades ago on the good old ST but my memory may be playing tricks.

BTW I recall that some of the monsters in the ST version would sometimes take fright and leg it if one of their companions was cut down. Especially the skeletons. VERY satisfying ! This doesnt seem to happen anymore. Have they all got braver or stupider ?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

About the Death Row: I always thought it was impossible to enter and finished the game about 10 times without ever entering it. Thanks to these boards, I finally found out how: You need to exit the Diabolic Demon Director on the ROS way. You will then be in a room similar to Dungeon Master's "Zoooom" where you get teleported around quickly. There is a door with a gold lock here. Try using the lockpick on the lock, and you will fall down into the Death Row.

Concerning the bravery of the skeletons, I didn't notice any change in that, some monsters still keep on fleeing me after I kill one of them. What version are you playing, CSBWin? If yes, everything should be just like in the ST original, since CSBWin is a direct port of the ST version.
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Thanks Trantor. I will give it a try. I have the version downloaded from the RTC site. Is this CSBwin ? Sorry if I sound dim here. Never made a monster run yet. Maybe Im just not scary enough !
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

No, RTC is totally different. While CSBWin is a direct port of the original ST code (done by Paul Stevens), RTC is built totally new from scratch by George Gilbert. George tried to rebuild the game as close to the original as possible but never took a look at the original ST code as far as I know. RTC features a lot of new elements, like light that can actually be too bright to see anything, or spellbooks that require you to find certain runes before you can use them. I haven't played much RTC (because sleeping just takes too long for me), so I can't really tell you if anything is different about the bravery of monsters. Try posting this question in the RTC category, I am sure somebody can help you.

Post by Guest »

Thanks again Trantor. If done without the original code then RTC is a VERY impressive piece of work. These guys are smart ! Completed Death Row with your instructions. My current character has been right round the dungeon countless times and completed the game twice. I am still sending him round trying to find one last piece of gold armour and one piece of Dragon armour. No where to be found. Probably some wretched little giggler has them.

As regards the sleeping you mention, I assume you mean recovery time for health, mana etc. Does this vary greatly between the two versions of the game ? I make sure my characters are constantly topped up with wisdom potions to the maximum 255. This halves the time to recover mana and makes the waiting a lot less painful.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yep, either a giggler has them (I forget if they do), or check back at the start, supplies for the quick (the alcoves and secrets around there), or under the corbum pits - those are two unobvious areas for the random items to go...

CSBwin just runs faster since it is emulating a simple enough atari game - so game tiem and sleep really seem to fly in them
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I have to admit that I am always too lazy to boost my stats up that high, quite impressive that you do. As far as I know, sleeping speeds up the game time (and thus, recovery time for health, stamina and mana) by factor 10, so you will recover everything 10 times faster than normal. This doesn't seem to be the case in RTC, though, sleeping seems to only slightly speed up the recovery. Since my playstyle uses a lot of mana and I am generally a very lazy guy, this really bothered me. I only tried the very beginning of Dungeon Master in RTC, though, where wisdom potions are out of the question. It might be better when having stronger characters in CSB.

Dragon and RA armours are indeed carried by gigglers that get teleported to some alcoves throughout the game, dying there and leaving the armor. Check out the Supplies for the Quick section as well as the pillar below the Corbums frequently, and you will eventually find them. Good luck!

EDIT: Whoops, Beo was faster than me. Sorry for double information.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Beo is hiding into the woods, be careful ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

But then I run away again incase there are more scary dreams! *runs*
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It seems I really have caused you a serious mental problem Beo. I sincerely apologize for that. :cry: Please don't be scared, I am really friendly and harmless... at least while I am awake...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I am sure my mental problems can be traced back loooong before that comment in the Inn thread *twitch*
I am sure some of the more serious ones can be traced back to a certain dungoen beginning with 'C' receiving it's first airing through CSBwin...*twitch* bloody fish! *twitch*