Favorite game of all time

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Its been a while since I have played any of the 'Yak's' games (Defender, fantastic!). I remember reading an interview in an 1988 copy of ST Action, the man is a legend.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Zyx, I downloaded Tyrian2000 and just had a quick game. It looks very nice indeed! It has a very classical feeling to it, yet promises depth you usually don't find in a shoot'em up. I hope I can get sound running under DosBox, but I am too lazy right now to try it. Thanks for the hint Zyx!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

You're welcome. The sound is worth it.

Llamatron for PC:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=649
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

ive started playing morrowind again, maybe i should post screenies how i look on it, great game it is, and has earnt a high place in favorites ^..^
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Oh I forgot to mention Bubble Bobble and Golden Axe!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Great games Paul. While I wouldn't consider those two as some of my favourite games ever, I still have very fond memories of playing them together with a friend for what seemed like ages.

By the way, anobody remember Jumpman or Defender of the Crown? I really miss those days...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oooooooh, a really hard one. I've played a lot of games over the years, some of them for merely minutes others for - literally - years. But I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer -- there's tons of games I probably *should* have played, but never got around to. I've never really played console games, so my list is from Amiga/PC and arcade games from my youth.... these lists are in no particular order:

Amiga:
1) Dungeon Master/CSB
2) Captive
3) Eye of the Beholder 2
4) Zool
5) Xenon 2
6) Rick Dangerous
7) Shadowgate / Uninvited

PC:
1) Tomb Raider
2) Half Life
3) Half Life 2
4) Thief: The Dark Project
5) Unreal
6) Hexen
7) Duke Nukem 3D

Arcade:
1) Ghosts & Goblins
2) Paperboy
3) PacLand
4) Choplifter
5) Chase HQ
6) Legend of Hero Tonma
7) Golden Axe 2
8) Space Harrier (first moving game!)
9) 1943
10) Crystal Castles
11) Gauntlet 1 & 2 ("Elf shot the food!")
12) Star Wars (original green vector game -- stunning!)

I've *never* played any of the Amiga classics such as Monkey Island or *any* of the Cinemaware games. I'm going to devote some quality time to WinUAE soon....
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Nice choices! I remember Space Harrier! Just...

Gauntlet 2 was just ace. 'Red Warrior, your life force is running out!'
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Great choices indeed Gambit, your list brings back lots of memories. You really missed something with the Cinemaware games! TV Sports Basketball was actually the only sports game I really liked, and is probably the game I have spent the most time on during all the years. I also loved It came from the Desert, though I sadly never beat it... And I never even played its "mission disk" Antheads. I still feel I really missed something there... :cry:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

about bitmap brothers games, i think they just made the best games ever, but the most difficult ones too..
i finished speedball2 (i'm looking for new challengers ;) ), xenon2, magic pockets (excellent but hard !) but i've never been able to complete gods, chaos engine or cadaver !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Choas Engine was easy enough (LOVED that game) - I actually didn't like the very end villain, you pretty much just shot it until it died - them again, it was all swirling and stuff, and the dismissive way it said 'you will be remembered' was kinda funny
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Nobody mentioned the Ultima games. I enjoyed Ultima 5
for a VERY long time. The maps cover my wall.

CSB comes first, largely because I now understand what
a work of art/engineering it is given the limited resources
available.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I never played any of the Ultima games. I'd quite like to go back and play a lot of those classics, but I think it might be hard to get enthusiastic about older games with the benefit of all the modern tech availble in new games...

Still, people are finding DM all the time and still seem to enjoy discovering it's old school charm, so perhaps I should give some of those older games a go....
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I have the same problem you have with older games Gambit. I think DM is unique because it aged very well compared to most other games that came out at the same time or even years after. The reasons for me are the still-ok graphics and especially the point'n click-interface that is not really worse than what today's games offer.

As for Ultima, Ultima 5 was my first RPG ever. I played it literally for months on my C64 and learned a lot of English along the way - I was only 12 back then! Still, I could never beat the game, it was just too huge, complex and hard for me back then. I also enjoyed Ultima 4 a year later on my Amiga, but couldn't make it through the legendary last dungeon, the Stygian Abyss. I still played some Ultima 6, but the fascination ended there. I tried some Ultima Underworld at a friend's house, but I didn't get along with the controls.

I was also never really into the Bitmap Brothers games. Maybe they were too hard for me, or maybe I had a problem with the graphics style... I can't really tell, but the Speedball games were the only ones I really enjoyed, though I haven't played Chaos Engine. I also encountered the same problem with several other of the "big" games back then. Be it Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Ultima Underworld, Wizardry 7, Monkey Island 2, Indiana Jones 4 or the Bitmap Brothers games, I just didn't like them. But oh well, I am a strange person anyway.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Talk about BIG. 'Crusaders of the Dark Savant' was about the
only game I enjoyed but could never finish. And I have the
official Hint book. Reading the book is a large undertaking.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Games I played a lot, in no particular order...

Amstrad CPC :
Barbarian
Oh Mummy

Amiga :
Dungeon Master / Chaos Strikes Back
Xenon 2 (Bitmap Bros)
Project X
Shadow of the Beast 1 & 2
Chuck Rock
Another World / Flashback
Dune / Dune II
Falcon
F-19 Stealth Fighter
Lemmings 1 & 2
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge / Lotus II
Super Cars 1 & 2
IK+
Shufflepuck Café
Disc
Speedball 1 & 2

PC :
Need For Speed 1, 2, 3, Hot Pursuit (#4?) then eventually got tired ;)
Diablo 1 & 2
Quake 1 & 2
Deus Ex
Warcraft 1 & 2
Starcraft
Tomb Raider
Unreal Tournament
Half Life
Lands Of Lore
Alone In The Dark

Probably not all the best games but lots of fun !
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Yeah, good olde days.
Last time i wanted to post this, my mouse fell off from my knee, and somehow shut the browser window when it hit the ground !!
This happened twice that day, so do not wonder if I refer to some older posts or whatever..

It came form the desert: there was a spoof of this killer ant killing game, by the original makers: it was called "It came for dessert".
Poster depicting a cake in the foreground and a fat man in the background, his mouth and eyes wide open, arms positioned ready to grab the cake.
Nice intro. The narrator´s voice boomed out of the speakers: It came from the DESERT! Thunderclap.

Imagine to face ,with a single shot pistol in hands a 6 Feet long approaching giant killer ant.. Not my favourite game, though. My brother played it through. Lots of flying around the desert. I think you had to put a nuclear bomb into the queen´s lair. Or was this the reason for the giant ants in the first place? Shrouded in mystery.

Speedball2

"Icecream icecream.."
OK music, somehow it matches to the game.-

there was a movie, rather old (well, it is in colour; approx 70/80ties).
The story takes place in the desert. There is this guy with a bald head who once played in the champions league, but somehow doesn´t anymore

He trains a new team, and they like defeat all other desert teams in a brutal game where they have to catch a ball and basically hurt people and get this ball to a certain point. Well, I do not know the film´s name. But the game they play is similar to speedball. In the end one guy dies. But they get into the city where they face the real championship team. Of course this team is by far better equipped than them and give them a hard challenge. Anyway somehow they win in the end.
What is the title ? Does anyone know, please?

BubbleBobble. Nice title music. Big endboss, as it should be.:)
point records:
2.2 mio.
crazy. we stood at the wall and gave the firebutton hell, because each banged bobble was worth a 10 points. Cute dragons!

Barbarian: Prepare to die!

Garrison:
DA DA da da-daa daa DA DA daa
daa-da DA DA dAaa da dAA

We went air e-guitar for a while before starting garrison!
Never made it far, though. Insane difficulty . No way beyond 3rd level.
Did anyone actually made it through??

Xenon 2 :
excellent graphics and a friendly alien shopkeeper, which had a little speak-problem, but that didn´t matt-ttttt-tter-
The most awesome and magnificent end bosses ever!

Populous

Marble madness, sample: *biieew.

Moonstone: check this one out!!
A knight´s search travelling through swamp, forest, desert and mountains, shopping in towns and for instance, saying hello to a sorcerer in a high tower, who seems to give you random items, for free!
A bloodbath. (switch gore_ on)
If you know Golden Axe you should know what it´s all about.

castle master, rick dangerous, and probably many more, car racing games, shooting games: Beyond the ice palace(thundercats), R-type, shufflepuck café: freaky characters!.

Apydia: My pal played it through in hard mode !! that´s millimeter work!!
Silkworm: only cheat mode.
project X . I was too lame for it..
Turrican 2: suberb music and a good game. . Yeah. Played through this one.
Although i sometimes like to cheat i do sometimes play through without.
Esp. roleplaying games should sometimes be cheated. they tend to get dull.*shrug Not dm, however!!
Ninja mission: I finished it! My brother didn´t believe me..

Eob1,2
doom
The first game we played via network, for weeks in succession. 30 hours non stop gaming. I heard monsters shout in real, when a car drove by.
Somehow the samples of the game entered my brain cortex and could not filter it out anymore.
Crazy. no not crazy, Mad. (not like the magazine,though)
I remember standing in a doorway, my pal tried to shock/scare me with a booh!. i turned around, and made a shotgun move(like in the game).
That wa s way too much. I can tell yu. 2 days after, it went better.

That´s it from me... for now :wink:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

@Zoooom:

I think that "It came for Dessert" was a parody in Space Quest 4, but I might be wrong. I remember other parodies such as Lucasfilm's Boom (instead of Loom) and Space Quest 23: Quest for Disk Space, featuring a cover of about 23 floppy disks. Or something. I have to find those old issues of the PowerPlay magazine in my attic...

I think the movie you are referring to is called "Die Jugger" (German title) or so, starring Rutger Hauer, if I remember correctly.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

The movie involving a Speedball-like game is Rollerball (actually the movie inspired the game !). There are 2 versions, the 1975 original starring James Caan (really good) and the 2002 remake (no comment, haven't seen it, not sure it's worth it).

Did anybody LOVE the Xenon 2 music ? I use to just throw in the disk and let the intro music play over and over, really loud ! Ah-ah---Ah yeahhhh ! :)
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Trantor beat me to the film answer, but I've never heard about the one he's mentionned...
The rollerball game is played in a circular arena on rollerskates, with a big nasty metal ball and some guys on motorbikes... Ring a bell ?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Whoops, Rollerball... That's probably the one, though I sadly never saw it or the remake. From what I have heard, the remake is horrible, though Jean Reno (one of my favourite actors since Luc Besson's wonderful Leon) is in it.

I am quite sure you are right about Rollerball Florent, but "Die Jugger" is a nice move as well. I'll try to find out if the English title is the same.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The remake is one of the WORST films I have EVER seen!!!

Xenon2, I was going to mention the music - Bomb The Bass and Megablast - this sounded great in the early days of computing. Heck, I was amazed when I got the ST to speak like a robot!

Zoooom, you are completely bonkers, aren't you?!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

PaulH wrote (many other things, but I want to refer to this ):

" Zoooom, you are completely bonkers, aren't you?!"

You are not supposed to know that!
All bonkers are belong to us!

(ok, probably I wrote some too stunning things that did not tangent you even periferial.. You are rightly saying so. It´s just what i deserve.
I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the lecture of my post. I will try to change into a lower gear, and not post so much at once and such freaky things. Thanks for telling me!)

@ Trantor
How´s tentacle?
And does the flamethrower still work?

The Juggers .Thanks for this info.
I thought about Rollerball.. thank you too Florent.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yay, finally someone who knows exactly where my name comes from! :D Tentacle fine, plaing with Wizball right now. Trantor think his flamethrower stolen by Ultima on last date... :?
MonDesIrSar
Novice

Post by MonDesIrSar »

These are the games that really hooked me up on the Amiga, PSt & PC...

Chaos Strikes Back (above all and everything)
DungeonMaster
Magic Pockets
Gods
P.P. Hammer
Nebulus 2
Sensible Soccer

Donkey Kong Country
Abe´s Odyssey
Bust-a-Move 2
Tekken 2

Monkey Island 1&2
Might & Magic 4&5
Eye Of The Beholder 2
Tony Hawk Pro Sk8Boarding 3 (still played often.. ;))
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ooh Abe's Oddysee (that's how they spell it anyway but not how I spell it)..that's one I didn't mention...well we were talking about old games and that's comparatively recent. And Abe's Exodus or erm...how do they spell that one...*checks*...Exoddus. Great stuff.
And did I mention Might and Magic? We have V, VI, VII, and VIII. V doesn't work properly...I think it kept bombing out or something, I think we got it for free anyway...can't remember. VI is my favourite - great stuff and so many bugs you can exploit for extra skills and exp and cash and stuff...VII wasn't so good. VIII was good for some things but still not sa good as VI. I do like to play Arcomage though (features in VII and VIII) :D.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Don't know if this is still of any interest, but I FINALLY found the English title for the movie known in Germany as "Die Jugger". The movie is called "The Blood of Heroes" in English, and is a nice Mad Max-like B-Movie starring the always-cool Rutger Hauer.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

civilisation II, settlers, sim city, and DM of course. Also Doom was good
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Phantomlord
Apprentice

Post by Phantomlord »

Games that I are really play and enjoyed:

Amstrad CPC
_Bombjack, Fruity Franck, Robocop, L'Aigle d'or, Bruce Lee, Saboteur II, Titan, After Burner, Antiriad...

Amiga
_DM & CSB of course, Eye of the Beholder I&II, Black Crypt, Captive, Kick Of I&II (Certainly the most greater football game for me), Shadow Of The Beast (Unforgettable music and incredible graphic), Sensible Soccer, Sensible Golf, ATR (All Terrain Racing), Stunt Car Racer, Crazy Car II, Les voyageurs du temps, Opération Steahlt, Croisière pour un Cadavre, Another World, Flashback, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Indiana Jones III (adventure game), The secret of Monkey's Island I&II, Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies....

Super Nintendo
_Street Fighter II, Super Mario World (The best Mario for me) , Super Mario All Stars, Zelda A link to the past

Nintendo 64
_Zelda Ocarina of time

Playstation I
_Castlevania Symphony of the night, Final Fantasy VII, Tekken III, Soul Edge...

PC
_Lands Of Lore, Diablo I&II, Warcraft II&III, Starcraft, Darkstone, Baldur's Gate I&II, Neverwinter Nights...

Dreamcast
_Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Jet Set Radio.

X-BOX
_Fable, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005, Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance I&II, Burnout 3 Takedown...

I surely forget a lot !!! :lol:
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”