HELP!!! a complete instruction to DMwin editor needed!!

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There isn't one -- you have to learn by trial and error -- then maybe you could write one yourself?

If you don't understand something, ask here and we'll do our best to help out.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Some simple things to get you started if you didn't spot them - left clicking on a square sets the tile, selecting the tile type from the side changes the tile that is laid. Right click on a tile and you can edit the tile properties, inlcuding adding/edit the contents.
Edit menu --> level info will let you set up the number of monsters (up to 16 types) and decorations (again up to sixteen) which you will need to set before you can place anything in a new dungeon. It will also let you expand the levl size from '1'
Edit --> global info will let you set the party start position

Most things in Dm are done with wall items and floor items. For example, extra monsters are generated from a special type of floor pad. Some special effects can be generated from a special types of wall item - (and/or gates being the most complex).

The only other common thing is champion mirrors - you need a wall item to select them, but the actual character information is held in a silent text pad on the floor that must be placed aswell. If you set a text on the floor, there is an advanced option jn the editor you can click to create character stats.

As Gambit said, just post if you need something specific, otherwise take a look at DM to see how most things were done, it should set you up for most starting things
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

thanks Beowuuf, but, in general, I know how to use it, in details I don`t know some points.. I will write soon a post with a couple of questions about this editor.
I was working on RTC and DMJava allready and I know how their works, but using CSbuild editor I think is a bit harder...
Gambit, sorry, but I couldn`t write that instruction, even if I wanted, because of my weak english... really, I couldn`t do it, but I could, in substitution, make my custom game (but not faster, than 5-6 months, I suppose). Yet I have to finish my custom in DM Java, which I`m currently (but very slowly!) working on.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Really, check out the DM dungeon, it's simply enough yet shows most of the engine stuff, and how CSBuild actually displays it - the riddle room on level 6 (with it's revealing alcove) is a good example of counters and a simple AND/OR gate, and you can see how toggling graphic levers and torch holders are done on level 2. The double level door on level two is also another good example of an AND/OR in use
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

I can't figure out how to make character mirrors. I got the character's picture on the wall, but I can't set a graphic (like a picture frame) to go with it. I put text on the floor next to Syra, and copied in the lines from DM. I also made the text non-showing. When I'm in the dungeon they are solid wall. I feel like such a noob. :oops:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If thsi is a fresh dungeon, you need to associate graphics with the level - go to the edit menu, level info - add a mirror, etc to the level. On the chapion portrait menu you should then be able to select these wall decorations from the pull down
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I feel like such a noob
Hang in there for a few more lessons. It will rapidly
become clear to you. CSBuild calls it a 'Picture Frame' I think.
Each level can have a maximum of 15 different wall
decorations. Sorta silly these days but back when
512k of memory was a lot. . . .