Slowly ramping up-small sound problem - suggestions?(CSBwin)

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
tweeze2

Slowly ramping up-small sound problem - suggestions?(CSBwin)

Post by tweeze2 »

I was very pleased to find that DM and friends could be made to be somewhat compatible on a PC. I loved DM when it first came out for Atari ST. But since my monitor had been permanently borrowed it made it difficult to continue playing. Nowudeyemsayn?

As I've been tweaking this to work on my PC I was running into various problems that I have been able to work around by using the information already archived in forums such as this. (Thanks for the nice greeting, Cow!) My first major hurdle was the inability to enter the Chaos dungeon since the door would only open about 8 relative inches and then the game would hang. Through some logical assumptions (plus the fact that no sound accompanied the door trying to open) I determined that the sound file was stuck thus causing the rest of the game to hang. Using the provided tool bar I merely 'checked' the DirectX option and, sure enough, I was in.

I selected my characters and then ran into a problem that I see many others had encountered....the 'SAVE' and 'LOAD' problem. Being a programmer myself I halfway considered checking out the code and still might. Instead, this forum provided the key in the form of 'START NEW GAME' and away I went yet again.

NOW...the game plays great even though I am being demolished by those freekin' mutant poison worms in the first room....but I am beginning to turn the tide through using different strategies. More worm rounds are piling up with each successive play. However, the problem...

My sound has vanished again. In this game I am deaf all of a sudden. I intend to keep tweaking to find the solution but would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

I did see one entry topic addressing this but there was no follow-up thus no answer given.

Thanks,
Tweeze
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I assume you are playing CSBwin from your description - what operating system are you playing under?

The onyl time I have ever lost sound was when my resources under windows 98 were very low (And usually sound was also being tied up by winamp and wmp) - if this is the case, then restart windows! If not, then not sure