paying for saving the game

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

paying for saving the game

Post by Adamo »

Alternatively to special "enable/disable save game points" you could save wherever and whenever you want to, but paying for it each time one coin (let`s say - 1 copper coin for each save in some of higher levels, one gor coin for save in some of medium levels, one silver coin in deepest levels and one gold coin in last level).

Let`s say you are in a critical situation (fighting with a tough monsters in a closed room), and you HAVE to save a game, but you are NOT in the savegame point: you save and loose one (copper, gore, silver, gold) coin (depends of a level).
Is it doable in CSB to make it that one type of coins dissapear every time while you are saving a game?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I am still not a fan of not being able to save everywhere, but this is an interesting idea. Just a quick aside: the Gor coin is just CSB's version of a Gold coin, so there are only 3 types of coins: copper, silver and gold in DM, sar, silver and gor in CSB.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

yes, you could do a spell that enables the saving for 30 s, consuming a coin. (The spell would trigger a DSA)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I`m also thinking about the pocket, wchich gathers all the coins you have... like in "Diablo", where you don`t waste a space for your money in a a bag. That`s the thing, wchich is missing in CSB. I mean, if you have 40 different coins, there`s a big waste of space in your bag to carry them all. A special pocket just for coins would solve that (you could carry an unlimited number of coins with that pocket). Then I could make in-game shop with a stuff to buy for those coins. But now, if something would be very expensive (20 gold coins, for example) it wouldn`t be very comfortable to carry all these coins in a bag to the shop and waste a lot of space in the bag. Even in Conflux I have a proble with carrying all these coins in the game (there`s really lot of them).
Do you think that idea with a money-pocket would be usefull?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Useful, yes, implementable, I don't know.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe not a money pocket, but would be nice to see how expandable the chest could become (create a chest that only allows coin sized objects and is much lighter, that could even be 'small' enough itself to place in the pouch area or inside a normal chest. Allow for better management of small items like rings coins and keys if included in a dungeon (Conflux is defintiely one for having money and keys in chests everywhere!).
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Zyx could supply a spell that magically shrinks your chest
(and its contents) and put it into your backpack.
Easy to do. Especially since he would be doing it and
not I. :wink:

Or a special Alcove that takes your chest and changes it
into a dagger which another special alcove can change back.
A little database action here to keep track of all these
special daggers. But quite doable.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

good idea! the spell would transform the chest into a pill. When you toss it, it transforms back into the chest, like in Dragonball! This is actually doable by DSA.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Coin chest: Using quite a simple DSA code, two attack slots and two object slots, I created a moneybox and book to keep scrolls and money in. You use 'add' to add an item from your off hand into the box/book ,and 'empty' to dump the whole lot to the ground. There is no weight gain adding items (it must be magic) and they have arbitrary limits to the amount they can carry. Obviously you can't see what's inside without emptying - this is quite sensible for the moneybox (think of it more like a piggy bank) but not so much for the book - but it seems quite an elegant way to carry these cluttering items. Still has 'features' to it, but in general principles seems fine.
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

For the coins: Don't forget the "Money Box" container introduced in DM2. It worked well.
For having to "pay" for saving the game....Well, I'm not a great fan either. The only game I know which used "pay for saving" was "Crystals of Arborea", and this was quite frustrating.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Coins - DM2 box that would require entirely new code to have the chst like screen, the coins sitting in it, the six clickable areas, etc though : )

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”