BOGUS ILLEGAL HERO ! (CSBwin)

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
dungeon.master
Artisan

BOGUS ILLEGAL HERO ! (CSBwin)

Post by dungeon.master »

hello,

i have just started with CSBuild.

i have made a little test dungeon, but i have some strange problems :

- when i create a Champion portrait and play the game i have this message in the champion portrait : BOGUS ILLEGAL HERO with very low stats ?

- some items i created are displayed in the game with different name or different item ?
example : cross of neta changed in snake staff !
thanks for the help
Last edited by dungeon.master on Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

And also some problem with the portraits :

some heroes have a portrait with their face totally brown !
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Simply putting a champion's portrait in a mirror is not enough. You need to create a floor text right in front of it, you will see the option to edit the champions stats when you edit the text, make it invisible.

as for your items appearing with different names, you might be using the DM graphics.dat, CSBuild normally gives you the names of CSB objects unless you change it in the options to display DM object names.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

some heroes have a portrait with their face totally brown !
That happened to me too. I found that putting a scorpion on the level seems to fix it...
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Ian Clark wrote:Simply putting a champion's portrait in a mirror is not enough. You need to create a floor text right in front of it, you will see the option to edit the champions stats when you edit the text, make it invisible.
Thanks Ian,
i have made that, but it still happens !

edit : will the brown portraits be a sort of joke ?
Last edited by dungeon.master on Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

another strange thing : then a dragon send me a fire ball, i can avoid it if i remain at 3 or more tiles : ie the fireball vanishes after 3 tiles ?
Last edited by dungeon.master on Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

If you get really stuck you can do this:

1 - Limit yourself to one problem at a time.
2 - Send me your dungeon with a description of the problem.

More than likely, however, you will be able to figure it
out with advice from people like Ian Clark.
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Hello Paul,

i'm really enjoying it :wink:
thanks for that jewel !

i'm at the present moment having much pleasure to create a little dungeon :lol:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

For portraits to be displayed correctly, they need to be on a level that uses the "default" palette. Some creatures affect the palette and change the active colours, making the portraits look wrong.

You need to remove all occurences of 'paletted' creatures and replace them with 'non-paletted' creatures, or better still, start with a fresh level and don't load any creatures at all.

Paletted DM Creatures:
===================
Trolin
Worm
Scorpion
Pain Rait
Ruster
Demon
Dragon
Oitu
Wizard's Eye
Water Elemental
Couatl
Swamp Slime
Materialiser
Lord Grey
Lord Order

Non-paletted:
=================
Screamer
Rock-pile
Mummy
Skeleton
Wasp
Lord Chaos
Animated Armour
Ghost
Giggler
Vexirk

Note that in CSB some of these creatures are mapped to others, but you can normally work out which ones.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

And the dragon/fireball problem?! I will keep mentioning this as it IS a problem!
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Gambit37 wrote:For portraits to be displayed correctly, they need to be on a level that uses the "default" palette. Some creatures affect the palette and change the active colours, making the portraits look wrong.

You need to remove all occurences of 'paletted' creatures and replace them with 'non-paletted' creatures, or better still, start with a fresh level and don't load any creatures at all.
Thanks Gambit,

i try your way and it works for the portraits.

but i have still the heroes with the name : BOGUS ILLEGAL HERO and with very low stats (17/1/17) ???
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Gambit,

i forgot to say that when the colour problem occurs on heroes portraits, it occurs on the extern portrait only.

the portrait on inventory is normal.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I experienced the same problem with the colours in portraits, though mine were orange, not brown. It is perfectly normal that the portrait looks as it is intended in the inventory.

As for "Bogus, Illegal Hero", also check the original DM or CSB dungeon.dat to see how it is done. If you entered a floor text with "Edit Champion portrait" and made the text invisible, everything should be fine. If not, it could be that the stats are too high. I think I once tried a character with 999 each in Health, Stamina, and Mana for testing reasons, and I think I got Bogus as well. 900 in everything should work. For the stats like Strength, Dexterity and so on, don't put more than 255 there (200, for example, should work perfectly well).
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

I have difficulty to use that part of CSBuild :(

But i'm sure it allows to do a lot of good things !
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I've learned quite a lot of stuff about CSBuild (i.e. and/or gates) by looking at the original CSB and DM dungeons. That's probably the best way to go about it. Are you placing the text on the square directly in front of the mirror? Also, there is no need to touch any of the advanced options unless you are using an external portrait or the mirror has another function (i.e. in CSB if you select certain characters such as Plague you can't get the bonus characters).
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Thanks,

i'll follow that way : take a look into DM and CSB.

i'll certainly progress :oops:
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Ian Clark wrote: Are you placing the text on the square directly in front of the mirror? Also, there is no need to touch any of the advanced options unless you are using an external portrait or the mirror has another function (i.e. in CSB if you select certain characters such as Plague you can't get the bonus characters).
i don't touch any of the options, i just create a test in front of the mirror and click ok, but i still have this message :evil:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

PaulH wrote:And the dragon/fireball problem?! I will keep mentioning this as it IS a problem!
I agree, Dragon fireballs seem to be very weak. I vividly remember getting killed in one hit in the Amiga and PC version, but they hardly do any damage now... Which is sad, as it makes Dragons a lot less terrifying.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I agree, Dragon fireballs seem to be very weak.
It might have something to do with the multipliers. I am working on a dungeon and in it, I have a Demon and a Dragon that have brought a test party with 999 health each down to near-death. They even do 200+ damage when I have cast Firesheild a couple of times...

If you want to send me your dungeon, feel free (ian at raftersclub dot co dot uk), I will have a look and see what it is you are doing wrong. Chances are it is something really simple but not obvious.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bogus Illegal Hero happens when you create an invalid character in the 'Edit Text Pad' dialogue. However, I'm not sure what constitutes 'invalid' as when I tried it I sometimes got OK stats, and other times it created the bogus one. I never looked at it long enough to work out the problem.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The level multipliers are high, at 6 in places with Dragons. It has been a long running problem and has been apparent in DM and CSB. In this instance he dungeon is Black Flame, available form Pauls site or through the link in the Csutom Dungeons.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

dungoen.master, you say you aren't touching any of the options? If you are placing a text pad and simply typing in a charatcer name, you will also get 'bogus illegal hero'

You need to click on the 'edit portrait' checkbox of the text pad and alter the stats, to levels as people have been suggesting. For example, putting up Elija's portrait doens't mean the charatcer will have Elija's stats by default stats - the text pad does everything in giving the charatcer his attributes, and you will need to edit it.
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

OK, i'll try that !

i really want to make a dungeon :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, I have a new theory it's the text name - it tries to fit it all into the name, not split it - you can split it as name/titel in the further editing dialogue though
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Mr.Stevens evidently programmed the "Bogus Illegal Hero" message, so could you perhaps shed some light on the matter Sir?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

#define MAXHP 999
#define MAXSTAMINA 9999
#define MAXMANA 900

Name or title too long. Illegal ASCII character.
Neither male nor female. Missing stat. Stat too high.

CSBuild pretty much takes care of these things. You should
not get a BOGUS if you build the text with CSBuild.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I tried changing the stats to the first recomended stats (I think it was by Trantor). This was the 900s and 250s I think it was. It was a week ago possibly since I fixed my dungeon, but I couldn't test it since then, so that's why I don't remember anything. It did work, so thank you. Finally I am able to test the part of my dungeon that I couldn't test earlier.