time limit in game? (CSBwin)

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

@ ADDF_Toxic: I meant a csbuild video tutorial. NOt at all a normal dungeon run or st h. Just a video about dungeon building, using dsas etc. I thought about a webcam pointed on the screen, you hit rec. and do some things in csbuild. Nevermind, just thought about sth. like that...
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Oh, CSBuild, not CSBWin. For that, I could use a screen recorder(I have Screen Virtuoso) but I don't want to do that, it doesn't feel right.
I will try an end game on the first level...Please Stand By...again I will post so that if I want to look at another topic in another browser, it won't somehow log me off without me knowing again.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

*Makes confused face* Still not working. If this doesn't start working soon, I might have to stab it with my sword(check my avatar)!
Maybe my calculator's broken. 30 minutes = 10800 ticks, right? My code for it is "M10800S" I have an end game and a DSA of it on level 1 and 2. Could it be possibly that Dungeon.dat is hidden when I play it?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I would be happy to help. But we cannot do it by talking
to each other because I don't speak your language. The words
are easy but attempting to discover the mental state that
might have produced the words is impossible for me.
Could it be possibly that Dungeon.dat is hidden when I play it
I have no idea what mental model you might have that would
inspire you to say this perfectly reasonable sentence. And
without that model (and therefore the context) the sentence
has too many possible meanings for me.

So.....if you send me your 'dungeon.dat', I promise to
study it, attempt to discern your goal, and provide some
suggestions as to what to try next.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, nm, Paul is on the case....

This may sound liek a foolish question, but are you playign through the dungeon using a saved game, but altering the dungeon.dat?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Ah, nm, Thanks. Good question. I'm hoping for a good answer.

Sometimes these problems remind me of my days as a
'Personal Computer' consultant. People would call in
and say that their EMail wouldn't work anymore.
I learned to ask things like "Is your computer plugged
into the AC outlet". And never surprised when the answer
was something like "Oh! I see the problem. My wife unplugged
it when she moved it to the other bedroom."
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Ah yes, you can never underestimate the predictability of stupidity... or forgetfulness hehe

When I worked as a mechanic, the amount of people who put the forks on their bikes the wrong way round and wondered why the steering was strange was astounding. And oiled their chains with vegetable oil...

Sorry, a little OT there. ADDF, you can see if you are logged in by scrolling up to the top of the page.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

What I meant, Paul, is that when I play this dungeon, I hide the dungeon.dat (right click on it->properties->check "Hidden". Is that what you don't understand?). I like to act like I am in some insane world that would harm the dungeon.dat when it is unhidden. So, I have it hidden. I'm not sure if this has any effect on how CSBWin reads it. That is my question.

No, beowuuf, that does not sound like a foolish question. Oh, lol, that would be like Paul S's questions about the e-mail. Lol! No, I cannot have a saved game in this dungeon, as it has saves disabled.

I know that, Paul! How am I supposed to know that it did log me off. I don't scroll up to the top to check if I am still logged on every time I post! Does this happen every time I post?
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

HEY COOL! I went into the DSA and added LA at the beginning(now that I finally understand what it means!). I tried on level 1 and it works, I think it's a bit shor though. But it should work. Thanks for telling me how to do this. And trying to help me.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Oh, I just tested the second level, and I discovered that it is a bit short. It has 10 minutes, not 30 minutes, but 10 minutes is Ok. Thanks again for the help.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

you better think about it again, ADDF, before releasing a game with such short time limit - this could really make your custom (wchich you probably put a lot of your work in) uncool. 10 minutes is not much!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

ADDF_Toxic wrote:I don't scroll up to the top to check if I am still logged on every time I post!
Obviously. Maybe it will not let you log in twice when you open another browser window, who knows?

I agree 10 minutes is rather short! I am happy yo play test for you.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

???

This is not a game I am releasing. I know ten minutes is not much. Did I not say earlier that this is a DMDemo?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Don't be an ass writing huge lines of question marks, it messes up the forum view. I edited for you.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

People still release demos. You could get valuable feedback from the community.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Hiding files does not affect their read-write status in any way.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, only the ability for external read/write interference from people who don't know any better, or people who really should
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Sorry about the question marks.
I figured out why it does 10 minutes. I put the speed on quickest. I tried it in normal, and it didn't do 10, but it didn't do 30 either. I checked to make sure I put in the right number (10800) and I did put in the right number. Strange. I started timing on the 1st level and wandered into the second level. Could this be why? From what I understood earlier, putting the same DSA on both levels will continue the time, but maybe I am wrong.
I tested it on the first level only and it must have been twenty minutes. I checked it at 24 minutes and it was victoried.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Putting the DSA on two levels means nothing - when one is activated, it does its thing no,matter what level you are on. Eacj instance of the DSA is a seperate entity.