PASTI: an Atari ST disk imaging tool good for DM & CSB

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

PASTI: an Atari ST disk imaging tool good for DM & CSB

Post by ChristopheF »

PASTI is a disk imaging technology for Atari ST floppy disks. Any owner of an Atari ST can use it to create disk images, even for copy protected games. This is very useful for Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back !

While still in beta, the imaging tool for PASTI has been released to the public, you can find it here: http://pasti.fxatari.com/

Currently, there are one version of DM and one of CSB available as PASTI images (.STX) on my web site.
But now anyone can create its own images and share them!

There have been lots of versions of DM and CSB on the Atari ST platform (various languages, various versions). Today, we mostly know the few versions that were cracked by hackers and now available as .st or.msa disk images.

So if you own an original version of DM or CSB for Atari ST, and an Atari ST computer, you can use the imaging tool to create disk images. Please share them with us; You can post them on the Upload forum on my web site or send them to me by email and I will put them on the site.

Hopefully we can build a full collection of all the ST versions of DM & CSB ever released!

Images created with this tool can be used instantly in some emulators (currently Steem and Saint) by using a plug-in DLL, also available on the PASTI web site.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I got no answer to this thread...
Isn't there anyone willing to make PASTI disk images of their original Atari ST games ?
dfxdx
Novice

Post by dfxdx »

Christophe,

Did you get any replies to this?
Project still going or dead?
I have got English DM v1.1 and v1.2. Any use? If so, let me know and will dig out the disks.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Project still going.
I now have:
DM 1.0 EN, 1.2 EN, 1.3 FR
CSB 2.0 EN, 2.1 EN

So I miss DM v1.1 English.
If you can make a PASTI image on your Atari and send the file to me, this would be great !!

I will publish the images I already have collected on the new web site.

Does anyone know of any other Atari ST version of these two games?
German versions? Japanese versions? Other version numbers?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, finally a playable version 1.0 un-cracked. Almost worth installing an ST emulator for.... (I was an Amiga boy)....

I have a 2.2 for Amiga, I have no idea what ST version numbers I own as I don't have an ST. Maybe I should send them to you to investigate, as long as I get them back of course....
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Christophe,

do you collect this game we put in AtariLegend.com ?

DM 1.2 german for Atari ST :
http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_ ... ame_id=978#

it's not .stx but .msa
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Gambit, there is a way for you to find out which Atari ST versions you own. This is a process that I already used once before PASTI was available.
Do you know DISK2FDI ?
http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/index_html

This is a tool that can be used on a PC to read Atari ST disks directly from your PC floppy disk drive. This is a DOS tool, not working under Windows, so you would need a DOS boot disk.
It can even read Amiga floppy disks (unprotected ones) by using TWO floppy disk drives. I know it looks weird, but it does works! (detailed technical explanation is available in the documentation of the tool).

Using DISK2FDI, you should be able to make .ST disk images of you floppies. Because of the copy protection, you will not be able to play these images inside emulators. However, you will be able to see the files they contain. You can extract them from the .ST image files, and send them to me for comparison with the files in the known versions that I already have. If there is a new version I don't have yet, then we'll see how to proceed.

dungeon.master: Never heard of this version. Is it an original version that was cracked? or was it built by hacking files and translating things based on the english version 1.2?
I'll have a look...
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

ChristopheF wrote: dungeon.master: Never heard of this version. Is it an original version that was cracked? or was it built by hacking files and translating things based on the english version 1.2?
I'll have a look...
yes, it's a crack from original version :wink:

it was provided by ICS, member of AtariLegend.com.

the game was first put on private forum, uncracked, on April 2004.

now, it's cracked, and to prove it : in the file you'll find a saved game, near the endgame.

for more info PM to ICS.
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Christophe,

if it's of any interest for you : you'll find some custom dungeons that are now available for Atari ST :
http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_ ... e_search=1

I converted the original files and fitted them in a very good cracked version of DM 1.1 english.

These custom ST dungeons work fine, less Benni Dungeon.

PS : do you remember i sent you last year the files for DM II for IBM PS/V ?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Gambit, I forgot to mention that DM for Atari ST v1.0 English is already available on my site as a PASTI image (as well as CSB v2.0).

dungeon.master, I sent ICS a PM to see if he would be willing to make a PASTI image of the original floppy disk, without crack.
Thanks for the information.

About DM2 for IBM PS/V, I will publish them with the next site update. Thanks again for your help, and sorry for the delay to publish new content.
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

ChristopheF wrote: the next site update
3 days to wait 8)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

That ICS guy sent me a PASTI image of DM v1.2 German. It will be on the site tomorrow.
Thank you dungeon.master!
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

It's my pleasure :wink: