Junction of the ways

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
dngnmstr
Neophyte

Junction of the ways

Post by dngnmstr »

Hi. I'm new here. :P

I've always wanted to play DM (ever since I was a kid, and I had only C64 when my friends had Amigas :evil: ) Now I finally started DM some weeks ago and solved it quite quickly. That was so much fun! :lol: DM easily beats any part of the eye of the beholder series.

Anyway, after fusing lord chaos I of course just had to beat CSB too. Now I have played some time and got everything (I think) from the 4 ways. So, on to the point...

Can I get all of those items from vi altars near the junction? Should I? What do those items do except close the path behind you?

Any hints on DDD? It's just pure evil. :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums and DM!

Those items are related to the path you are on, so can be useful (for example a sword to melee with against all those antmen)

Not too spoilery I hope, but that item can also open the way back to the junction of ways

Umm, the DDD - map map map map, press stuff, checkl what happens when you stand on area, and basically try to find the four keyholes for the four ways!

The thigns you need from the four ways are the keys - each key then opens the path beyond the DDD to the second part of the way, at the end of which lies a corbum. You then use the four corbums to defeat Chaos
dngnmstr
Neophyte

Post by dngnmstr »

Yeah! Finally managed to catch ku corbum.

The room of endless worms was true annoyance. Now I'm finally starting to realize the power of stats enhancing potions. :wink:
dngnmstr
Neophyte

Post by dngnmstr »

Hmm, that does it! :P

DDD wasn't that hard afterall. The other upper paths after ku were a small disappointment. Well, the fireball hallway was hard, and the pit puzzle was nice. Actually, maybe upper dain alone was the disappointment.

Spoiler:
The upper teleport (from the "zoom" area) really made ful ya level easy. Just teleport to demons and hack'n slash with freeze lifes, grab master key and that's it. :lol:

Now I have to say that CSB is great. After DM I felt it was sadistically hard, but CSB is really more fun. High level play needs so much more skill and thinking instead of plain training. Too bad it had to end just when I started to get good at it. :D

Any suggestions for next dungeon? DM2 or some custom?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Congratulations on finishing CSB! It definitely has some of the greatest level design ever made, and there is so much in it that you can still learn new things if you revisit it countless times - I found something new on my 10th game!

I never really liked DM2, there are some nice parts, but overall it didn't really "feel" like DM. I'd prefer a custom if I were you. My personal favourite so far is Towers of Chaos by PaulH. The recent Surgical Strike by Sophia seems to be very good as well, but I haven't played it yet, so I can't comment on that one; many people seem to like it very much, though.

Of course, there is always the infamous Conflux II by Zyx, but beware that this dungeon is VERY hard. Furthermore, Conflux III is currently in the making, so I'd wait until that is ready before you play it (and I guarantee you that Conflux III will be vastly superior to Conflux II).

Other great dungeons are Imprisoned Again by Sucinum and The Black Flame by PaulH, though I prefer Paul's Towers of Chaos.

Hope this helps, and have fun playing more DM. :)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I pay Trantor lots of money for this lol!

And Trant hits the nail on the head - you gotta play it again, in a different order. So much to find.
dngnmstr
Neophyte

Post by dngnmstr »

You are probably right. At least I remember completely leaving the ku path wexirk room alone. It was just too hard when I was there. :oops: Might be that csb has more replay value. DM would be quite boring to start again with all the needed training.

Well, there is still lot to play before I'm done with dungeon exploring games:

There is always the option of playing EOB3, which I have to do some day. (solved 1 & 2 already)

And, did anyone of you DM fans like Ultima Underworld? I really did. Maybe I should play UW2 too someday.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DM needs no training! That would be the challenge of a replay, play it through properly, without standing around training./ Just your speed with a keyboard, wits and luck to guide you through! : ) Plus look for bonus items, you probably missed a few in later levels
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I agree with Beo on this, DM also has a lot of replay value for me. Try not to train, or try using only one character. Though it is true that CSB will probably contain more stuff you haven't seen yet.

Funny that you speak of EOB3, I restarted it recently because my pen & paper D&D group just visited Myth Drannor. I played EOB1 and 2 back when they came out and bought EOB3 a few years ago, but never really got into it. And now, after restarting, it already has become boring again. In my opinion, you really feel that Westwood wasn't there anymore, somehow, EOB3 lacks the feeling and atmosphere of the first two games. Do yourself a favour and play some more DM. :wink:

Regarding Ultima Underworld, I never liked it. I didn't get along with the controls at all and quickly lost interest. Maybe I was also too fed up with the whole Ultima system in general.