Space Hulk

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Space Hulk

Post by Sophia »

Well, I thought about posting this in the RPG thread, but it's not really an RPG, and I thought about posting it in the "Other games like DM" thread, but it really plays more like an FPS.... anyway, anyone ever played this?

Or, for that matter, played the board game that it's based on, which is even more fun? :D

I got to play the board game at a friend's once-- pretty nifty, if you ask me! A lot better than the stupid game he dragged me over there to play, too... It's a shame it's out of print!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, though more into the lesser ruled 'Space Crusade' and played Epic (warhammer 40k with big machines!)

Space Hulk was cool, I thought the PC version was a really good conversion of the board game, very tense and scary and great how you could switch between your parties and members (mmm, imagien that for DM!) and still see what the rest were doing (dying usually)

Plus, let's face it, who didn't want to be the man narrating each mission in bad lip sync!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I never really got the appeal of Warhammer 40k, or games like it... maybe something about boys and their army men I'm just biologically incapable of understanding, I guess!

(And, hey, I play DM, that's got to be geekish for any gender :P )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I played Space Crusade too - cool game :).
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Space Hulk was well scary, me and my little bro found it in a box my uncle let us borrow when I was about 10. All I can remember are those scary aliens jumping out from the walls without warning. We were terrified!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Vengeance of the Blood Angels is probably the hardest game I've ever played. I loved it on the 3DO, and I bought it for the PC. Unfortunately, it uses freakin' IPX, which is not supported by Windows anymore, so I've never been able to play it with friends. Errg.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

There are, however, various online adaptations of the board game :D
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

beowuuf wrote: Plus, let's face it, who didn't want to be the man narrating each mission in bad lip sync!
Haha i remember that guy. You can still download the PC version of space hulk from home of the underdogs. Although the board game version will always be better. Especially when the marine player only has 3 minutes to make his moves, now that is really tense.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"Brother marines..." *mouth mouth mouth*
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

DMDM wrote:Haha i remember that guy. You can still download the PC version of space hulk from home of the underdogs. Although the board game version will always be better. Especially when the marine player only has 3 minutes to make his moves, now that is really tense.
If by "tense" you mean "stupid." Granted, the 1st edition also had that rule where you could interrupt the other player's turn to spend CPs, but eh...

I have played a few computer adaptations of the 2nd edition, and I have to say I like the new movement and flamethrower rules. (And no more time limit!) :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Computer was bettre with real time! Now THAT's tense!
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hulk

its an extremely loyal computer version of the second ed (i think) of that most glorious of games space hulk!
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sophia's version is two player : )
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Hehe, beowuuf is my PR man. :P
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I don't suppose that there's anyone out there who has actually exported images out of "Space Hulk"?
I'm not saying that I'm sadistic and evil but it amuses me the thought that after killing your first screamer at the start of the dungeon you walk down a corridoor to the sight of 2 Terminators breaking down doors ahead shouting "AMBUUUSH!"
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

The CD has bonus shots of the game, including a bunch of genestealer frames.
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Speaking of old Games Workshop games, did anyone here ever play Heroquest?

The definitive late 80's dungeon crawler, to be played with heavy metal in the background naturally. Looking back on it, its so incredibly cheesy (your fighting the wizard Morkar for gods sake!) and shamelessly generic. Thats probably why I like it so much :-)

Yeah! Bring on those Fimirs!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nah, I was a Space Crusade man instead! (Only sold my boxes a few years ago)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Heroquest was a fantastic conversion of the board game, but I didn't soil my underwear playing it unlike Space Crusade.
These days my laundry basket is happier.
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

ian_scho wrote:Heroquest was a fantastic conversion of the board game, but I didn't soil my underwear playing it unlike Space Crusade.
These days my laundry basket is happier.
I dont blame ya Ian_Scho, that dreadnaught was enough to give the stoutest hearted Marine the heebie-jeebies.

Its a real shame they dont re-release Space Hulk actually. But then again their re-releasing a ye-olde game called "Talisman" towards the end of this year. Which should be interesting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Sophia, I downloaded and installed Space Hulk- SP. There`s only 18 missions and they`re very small!! Can I download some additional, fan-made missions from somewhere?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Zalewa_PL
Neophyte

Post by Zalewa_PL »

Adamo wrote:Sophia, I downloaded and installed Space Hulk- SP. There`s only 18 missions and they`re very small!! Can I download some additional, fan-made missions from somewhere?
Dude, you've beaten Space Hulk? I thought this game was impossible.
Anyway I've tried it on Amiga but got tired of all this floppy reading, game is really badly designed when it comes to that. Then I got whdload version (the one that runs off the harddrive) and game got stuck on first mission so I gave it up.

I remember beating some levels on PC but that was long time ago.

I need to check out Space Crusade.
Former alias: RobikZ
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I don't really know, Adamo. I haven't played that game in forever.

These days I play mostly multiplayer
http://www.allegro.cc/depot/NetHulk
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Space Crusade is cool - I had it on the Atari and then got a PC version in later years (but haven't played it for aaaaages now). I think I did finish all the missions once - can't remember now but I must've got pretty close if I didn't finish all of 'em. Think there was twenty. The easiest was "Purge and Withdraw" (as long as you get given Master Controls at some point :twisted:)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

mission dreadnought i remember as being much, much harder... i think i finished it by luck though

Best squad was blood angels for the close combat, but ultramarines for the extra healing.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I always played as the Ultra Marines just 'cause I liked blue but not red or yellow :D. The first mission (the aforementioend Dreadnought one) is another one made even easier by the lucky acquisition of Master Controls - then all you gotta do is wait till the bastard has his head or arse in a door and SQQUUIISSSHHHH :twisted:.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, the advantage of the computer game over the board game - in the board game, the dreadnooght was not allowed to go partially through doors, and doors took up no space so

I remmeber thanks to things like the 'soulsuckers' it was always easier simply to close combat your way from a protected space back to base. Especially with the amiga's blip where you could not roll a 2 2 with white dice, the commander of blood angels was invulnerable so long as he had his shield from all but the most powerful things. You just become a close combat monster with the gloves and sword, take those close combat grenades for the dreadnought fight, and pray you made it back to base before sheer weight of soulsuckers and malfunctioning equipment on your shield killed the poor guy!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Oh, I've played this computer game-- the interface felt a bit clunky to me, but I was playing in DOSBox and it's an old game, so that's probably not all its fault.

The Space Crusade board game sounds like fun, though. :D
(Not like Advanced Space Crusade, which sounds, well... dumb. If you want an advanced Space Crusade, play Space Hulk!)

Shame all this stuff is long since out of print, and it's impossible to get a copy because this guy has already bought them all.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

http://www.teardown.se/
original version, but runs rather slowly
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

hmm, I have not played this game(neither boardgame or computer) I probably should, but what do you think:
would it be worthwhile to have a custom dungeon(futuristic with the theme of Space Crusade)?