The RPG in all of its glory (maybe)

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

The RPG in all of its glory (maybe)

Post by Sophia »

Here it is... the RPG setting! It took me a little to come up with this, but hopefully it's worth it. :)

I'm kind of bored of basic Medieval-Europe-ish fantasy settings, so I've tried to come up with something a little different.

My inspirations were, primarily, Indian Mythology, concepts of "cyberspace" or "the matrix" adapted to a fantasy setting, the Exalted and Wahammer RPGs, as well as the Kara-Tur setting from D&D.

Of course, if nobody likes it, I'll just write stories in it :P

Despite the magnitude of the grandeur and power of the Great Houses of Ennakkam in this world, one must look to farspace-- the astral plane-- to appreciate their true power, for it is through the art of astrogation, controlled entry to and travel in the astral plane, that they have achieved their current level of power. No longer were they bound by the limited communication and transit means of this world-- instead, their astrogators could meet in farspace at the speed of thought. With practice, it was found that a thought could be made to linger in farspace for days, months, even years. Huge astral libraries were established by the Great Houses, containing vast repositories of information. What were once disjoint feudal territories became, in the blink of an eye, tightly linked mercantile monoliths.

The Great Houses maintain their own private armies, of course, conscripted from the peasants put to work on their vast tracts of land. The point of the spear are the elite Centurions, formidable warriors and commanders whose power has been augmented by the finest-- and strangest-- of magic. From the Ka'Thin who serve Countess Mahliniya, cool, calculating tacticians who wield weapons that could not be lifted by ten normal men, to the Variayzho, the hideously deformed agents of Baron Vengkal who shrug off wounds that would kill an elephant, to the Ejaldi of the North who create razor-sharp weapons of ice out of thin air, each faction has its own unique origins and advantages, bringing glory to their House and terror to their enemies.

Still, farspace is not by any means a safe place, either. Just as in this world, beasts and horrors lurk in dark spaces and around suspicious corners. The Great Houses have filled their private astral libraries with their own unique variety of horrors, jealously guarding them against prying eyes. Astogators have become not merely conduits of information but a full-fledged astral force-- some loyally dedicated to ensuring the security of a Great House, others independent operators who spy on meetings and raid astral libraries for the highest bidder.

There are some who see it as more than just a tool of commerce. The Rising Sun is a religion, some would say a cult, dedicated to achieving enlightenment by achieving a pure astral existence. Their inner circle consist of some of the most capable mages in existence, wielding great power and influence in both this world and the other. Though many may see them as esoteric, those of the Rising Sun are genuinely striving to be pure of heart and mind. The same could not be said for the Setting Sun, a far less common order. Their symbol is a curious perversion of the Rising Sun's, their focus a similar twisting. They have achieved a mostly-astral existence, to the point that their bodies no longer sustain the processes of life. However, they must still periodically return to their decaying flesh. For their greed and their impatience-- true enlightement comes only from complete freedom from the mortal world, after all-- these necromancers are loathed by the Rising Sun.

Obviously, some want a more immediate escape from the power and everpresent eyes of the Great Houses than the belief in a mystical "enlightenment." Many flee to the Forest of Thorns, an untamed, overgrown land named for its everpresent brambles and creeping, thorny vines. In this place on the edge of Ennakkam, the power of the Great Houses does not extend, and the benevolent Sylph protect all who come with good intentions, casting out even the mighty Centurions. They form a community based on preserving life and the sanctity of the forest. They are vegetarian, and tend to worship nature spirits rather than divine entities.

There are places for the less idealistic-- or perhaps those who are just more independent in spirit-- to go, as well. The Republic of Athisayal attempts to create openness and freedom by teaching even common folk basic astral seeing techniques. It is believed that by making farspace free and independent, the grip of the Great Houses will be lessened. In practice, though, the voyages of most of the citizens of Athisayal are as limited in the other world as here, for the average peasant is no match for even a simple mind-worm in psionic combat. In the vast Horakkaqua Desert, on the other hand, rogues prefer to ignore the other world altogether, and make their living the old-fashioned way: robbing merchant caravans and attacking the vulnerable periphery of the Great Houses' lands.

Character creation notes:

I see most people in this world as being mundane and uninteresting, uninitiated in the arcane ways. These people are boring! Feel free to create a fairly powerful character-- "leveling up" is not suited to this game, really, and these people have to have something that would set them apart to begin with. Good archetypes might be a Centurion, a Templar or Priest of the Rising Sun, an independent mercenary, a wandering sage, a Sylph, a particularly skilled Athisayalan, a reformed (or not!) Horakkaquan rogue, or just a general "adventurer" type who happened to have a natural knack for getting into and out of trouble (which is far different and far more interesting than avoiding it altogether!)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, a very interesting evocative world there, lots of nice hooks and echoes. You haven't stated the actual rpg plot itself though... might make it easier to design a good charatcer if peopel know the sort ofadventures that are likely to happen
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Ah... I guess I was thinking I would put the general idea of the setting out there first and wait to see what kinds of characters people wanted to play. :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It seems from this that characters are "expected" to be human, or humanish at least...I always try never to resemble those kinds of creatures. But still, there's nothing says we can't crete our own species ;). I'll read the description over again later and get a better feel for the setting since I just kinda quickly read through it just now.
Like Wuffy says, I think giving a more specific plot kind of description type thingy would give us a better idea of what kind of things are gonna go on. I'm not sure how magic and stuff works in this world so I'll have to make sure I understand that so I don't have a character who totally doesn't fit into the layout.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds to me like you want to be a creature of the astral plane that has somehow done the rverse of what the rising/setting sun people wish to do, and incorporated yourself
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Actually, I left the topic of species deliberately open, to see what people wanted to do. I like the idea of if it's not human, it's very not human-- aren't we all sort of bored of elves and dwarves and gnomes and such, too? :)

The astral creature idea is a good one! Other hooks might be: The Sylph are definitely not human, I actually am starting to envision the Horakkaquans as a sort of reptilian, and who knows what your typical Varaiyzho is. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can see Ameena going for a Varaiyzho to get some nice crushing and blugeoning in!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol naw my characters aren't violent, smash-everything types. Never have been. Okay so I like blowing things up in games like DM but I never take a character who's formed of brute strength. I did create a race like that for an RPG (and a story based on the RPG, so you should know which race I'm talking about ;)), but would never make an Ameena of such a race. She tends to be more stealthy, quiet, black shadow-type thingy. Always has the same colour scheme anyway. But tends to avoid violence rather than get mixed up in it. Also I like her to be unique rather than the same race as everyone/anyone else so she's either a species of my own design, or if the RPG won't allow that, then perhaps a hybrid of two odd races (ie not something boring like human/elf, blech).
It's kinda half past one in the morning atm so I won't re-read the description thingy just yet. Need my brain working properly to be thinking about it and take in all the details. It was eloquently phrased so I want to make sure I understand the context of it all and blah.
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I have no problem with anyone creating new races, character types, etc., as long as they fit in with the general feel of the setting. Honestly, though, I'd rather characters created a sense of "uniqueness" by *who* they are, not just race but personality, powers, and personal style, not the simple *what* of what they are. :)

Anyway, here's some further background material, with some inklings of the plot that is to follow...

The Reapers appeared quietly, but, like all good plagues, that only served to ensure that by the time it was noticed, it was already a massive scourge upon the land.

Imposingly tall, yet thin enough to be considered wretchedly impoverished were their countenance not so wicked, with bone-white skin and black voids where there should be eyes, they glide silently across the land, striking down any who dare to cross their path with scythes made out of black metal and the bones of dead demons. A single Reaper killed three Ka'Thin before it was finally bested by five more, yet, when it was destroyed, it merely vanished as though it had never existed, leaving only its tattered black cloak and cruel weapon, still covered in the blood of its victims.

The threat has increased to the magnitude the the Great Houses are quietly putting the vast majority of their petty squabbles aside-- indeed, some even have considered even more quietly asking for help from their former enemies. Quietly, of course, because the public aura of a Great House must always be one of arrogance and power. The vast majority of the common folk know nothing of the Reapers, for their landlords tell them nothing, and if and when the Reapers do finally come, the dead tell no stories.

Still, one or two sure-footed souls, often children, often escape a village that has been otherwise completely wiped out, and spread the tales. These tales have now even reached the streets of the great cities...

Any rumor leads to rampant speculation, of course. Are the Reapers some new tool of the reclusive, wicked Setting Sun? Are they the machinations of some upstart faction that wishes to become the next Great House? Are they the agents of an astral entity angered by all of the incursions from this world into theirs?

They aren't talking....
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well I'll PM you my current character idea and see if that's okay. So umm check that out if you haven't already ;).
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

As far as I know we have three characters...

Maybe we'll actually get to start this thing at some point. :roll: :wink:
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Ok, here, finally, are some ideas on the nature of magic. Ameena helped me a lot with it, so throw things at both of us if you don't like it. ;)

The basis of magical power in this world is, as is to be expected, energy. Some call it "mana," some call it "ether," others simply understand what it is intrinsically and do not even bother to assign it a name. Different mages may attune themselves to various types of energy, and it is used for different effects:

- Air Energy -
The most common form of energy in nearspace is air energy. However, due to the inherent thinness and immateriality of air, air energy is also the most dilute form. It takes a special attunement to the environment, and a good deal fo concentration, to absorb enough of the sparse air energy to be able to do anything useful.

- Void Energy -
The most common form of energy in farspace, on the other hand, is void energy. In many ways it is similar to air energy, and, indeed, various exotic (and typically poisonous) gases found in this realm contain ample amounts of void energy. As there is no breathing required in the astral realm, these properties are no harm to mages, and those that can project themselves into the astral realm and bring back stores of this energy find themselves in possession of much power.

- Life Energy - Black -
Black Life Energy is the weakest of the three types of life energies, as it is but the shadow of life energy that formerly surged strong. It is found in dead plants and animals, as well as in anything that once belonged to a living thing, including planks of wood or slices of meat. Fresh corpses contain the most black life energy, making them a popular source for Necromancers to draw their dark power.

- Life Energy - Green -
Green Life Energy is the life energy of plants, and is also very common in nearspace. It is not as active or powerful as red life energy, but the ethics of draining it from subjects are far less questionable. In addition, large trees have greater reserves of life energy than any animal could ever hope to amass. The Sylph, for example, sustain themselves by taking small amounts of life energy from the trees and plants of their forest home.

- Life Energy - Red -
Red Life Energy is the life energy of animals, and is more active and powerful than green life energy. Any mage will have an abundant store, and it is perfectly possible to make use of red life energy in spellcasting, though this will naturally lead to fatigue and discomfort, and could result in premature aging, disease, and death, if chronically overused. The mages of the Setting Sun frequently drain the life energy from other living beings in order to sustain themselves, when the more easily obtained black life energy is not suitable.

- Fire Energy -
The benefits of fire energy are that it is quite powerful, and contact between fire energy and other forms of energy tend to transform the weaker orders of energy into fire energy themselves. One only needs to light an object on fire to observe this process in action, however, this procedure also reveals the drawbacks of fire energy-- it is extremely difficult to control, and its volatile, powerful nature tends to consume everything in touches.

- Earth Energy -
The discovery of true earth energy was something of a surprise, for its nature was widely misunderstood. A form of energy existing within the substance of matter itself was long since posited, but only recently has been observed. Despite the apparent stability and solidity of objects, they actually consist of billions upon billions of tiny particles, held in a cohesive bond. When these bonds are shattered, the amount of power released almost defies comprehension. Should a bomb ever be built that harnesses this power, it would likely be the end of civilization.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, you've all confused the hell out of me since the RPG started. How is this different from a story thread? Why are you writing in the third person Ameena if this is a character you're playing?

I know it's been a long time since I touched a pen and paper RPG - nearly 20 years - but no-one I know played their character like that.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, leave Ameena alone! She can talk abotu herself in the first person if she likes, in this case it is about only playing a story from one poitn of view with the story otherwise controlled by the DM

Alas, poor story thread, no one *cough Gambit* contributed *cough* ...slowly it sinks down the forum...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry, that sounded like a personal attack on Ameena, it wasn't at all. Was trying to point out that this doesn't seem to be an RPG at all but simply another story. Have I missed something obvious somewhere?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

In an RPG you take on a role. Whether you choose to narrate your part as 'I am...I do this', as 'my charatcer does this, my character', or as '<name> does this, they do that' should not make much difference.

You don't control the plot as it is a game you are trying to win. As I said at the outset of the story thread, it could easily twist to have been the RPG thread simply because playign an RPG is, in essence, adding a tight set of rules for creating a story.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I wouldn't say you're "trying to win," it makes it seem competitive, and it's not, really.

The main thing is that you do "own" a character and have 100% control over what that character says and does (well, barring any crazy GM interventions, but those are rare)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And he wonders why I call him grumpy...
I did say at least once before that the way I'm used to playing these kind of RPGs is that it's basically a story but you only control one character (or more if you choose to create/play more than one - still, you only control your characters and no-one else's). I used to play in a lot of play-by-e-mail RPGs in Yahoo! Groups (formerly eGroups, formerly ONElist), though I don't really any more since all the ones I'm still in hav ekind of died and I haven't been arsed to go seeking any more. But anyway, they were all played like that so that's how I play them. And it's how Sophia and Wuffy play 'em too from the looks of it :). Basically I'm writing my sections of the story from the PoV of my character (doesn't have to be first-person to be from their PoV...), thus everything she sees, hears, etc, and her reactions to everything. So my posts will be designed to overlap with other people's.
For example if a couple of people post their characters doing something, and then I log on and read those posts and my character is present at the time, I will have her reacting to the people doing their things as they do them even though they've already posted, if that makes sense. Bah, I know what I mean :).
And incidentally, you asked "why is this different from the story thread?", but surely you're missing your own point there - when I tried to take a character in that thread, you said I shouldn't because we can't "own" characters since it's a story - in the RPG thread the character I play is MINE and so no-one else may do anything with her (unless we decide in PMs to do something special or something), nor may I interfere with the playing of another person's character(s). Well I wouldn't anyway.
I'm not sure how we can play this RPG any other way than the way we're doing, anyway...
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

but surely you're missing your own point there
Heh, that's exceedingly likely... I miss my own point quite often. Although not in this case.

What I was trying to explain is that when I played RPGs in the past, everyone always dealt with their character in the first person, so to see an 'RPG' 'played' in this way seemed odd; it just didn't come across as anything other than a story.

Now you've all explained it, it makes more sense and I'm intrigued to see how it progresses.

Oh, and if *anyone* calls me grumpy again, you *will* be banned. No questions. It's simply not funny any more. :roll:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena wrote:OOC - Sera, what colour are you and stuff? I'm guessing blue like always but I don't think you've give much of a physical description yet other than she's a large dragon with large teeth hehe.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Thought it might be an idea if I were to post up Ameena's profile here as the characters learn more stuff about her. I have a copy of the full profile, of course, but what I'll be posting here now is that profile with stuff deleted from it (for now) so as not to be a spoiler. As more stuff is revealed of her, I'll edit this post and add it in.

Name - Ameena

Age - Unknown

Species - "Dark" Sylph (thingy)

Physical - Ameena is humanoid in shape, for the most part. She is average in height (compared to a human), and of a fairly slender build.
Every part of her is pure black with the exception of her eyes. These are a bright emerald green in colour. Her ears are tapered, and capable of angling to catch sound in the manner of a cat's. Ameena cannot truly be compared to such species as humans since she lacks certain physical attributes... She appears to be covered in short, soft fur. She also appears to be permanently wearing a long black cape. However, she is also able to "split" this cape to form wings.
She is agile, dextrous, and nimble.

Mental - Ameena is intelligent and can be quite quick-witted. She also has an excellent memory. However, she generally keeps to herself. She rarely interacts with the races who inhabit the towns and cities and such-like, and is wary of them when she does come into contact with them. She knows little about them but what she has seen she doesn't like, for the most part. She prefers to interact with the creatures who live in the forests she likes to inhabit. She is not aggressive, and will always choose to flee from something rather than fight it.
She is incredibly patient, and if she has to hide from an aggressive creature for several hours before it goes away, she will do so and not make a sound. Since she prefers her own privacy and likes to remain undetected by those who might wish her harm, Ameena generally only roams the world by night.

Magical - Ameena can "split her cape" and thus gains the ability to fly at will, something she enjoys doing.

History - Ameena has no idea of her origins. She only remembers that she's been living alone, roaming the world as she sees fit, living mainly in forested areas, away from habitations such as towns and cities. She has been existing this way for a long time, centuries perhaps, and though she has a good memory, she's never really experienced anything particularly significant and as such her memories are little more than a general idea of what she's been doing throughout her existence. The recent attacks by the Reapers have sent a kind of shiver throughout the land - a ripple of fear which is spreading and enlarging, and which Ameena is beginning to pick up on. She doesn't know what's going on, but she knows that if there's trouble occurring in the lands of other races, she will try to move away and find somewhere else to roam while they deal with their own problems.

Something I'm not sure on is the current time of day int he RPG. I've skim-read through the older posts and the only reference to time I noticed was one of my early posts, when Ameena's sitting in the tree watching the bounty-hunter meeting thing at the beginning, where it notes her reluctance to be travelling by day. So presumably it's now probably afternoon or getting on into evening, depending on which time of day the RPG started...?
Last edited by Ameena on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

I may not have a character, (yet) but I'm interested in this RPS (Role Playing Story). I'm creating an "encyclopedia entry" on farspace. It seems like we need to gather up all the known facts (and rumors) in one location, so that we don't get confused and contradict ourselves. I'm about half done, and I'll finish it tomorrow or the next day most likely. When I post it, please offer suggestions and point out mistakes.

I have already seen some minor, unimportant inconsistencies. For example, "ether" was originally another word for "mana," but it has been used to mean "farspace."
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If I need to look up some past fact, so far I've just been flipping back through the previous pages of the story to find it. I posted (some of) my profile here so people wouldn't have to do that if they forget stuff about my char, and I reckon having a nice encyclopaedia of general reference stuff would be very handy :D. In fact, I started doing something like that for a story I was writing with a friend - I wrote out profiles of all the main characters and also a kind of glossary thing with names of all people, places, etc, together with a brief(ish) description of each.
But I'd never have thought of going one for this, lol - nice one :).
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Ty-Guy's Encyclopedia of the Role Playing Story World:

FARSPACE:
(A.K.A the astral plane)

Farspace is one of the planes, along with nearspace, the elemental planes, and possibly many others. ("planes" are also called "realms," "realities," or "worlds")

The opposite of farspace is nearspace, what we would consider our native plane. Time moves much faster in farspace than in nearspace. The ratio cannot be infinite, since some time does pass while the mind is in farspace. Unlike nearspace, the 3 dimensions of farspace are not constant. Location has meaning only in the sense that things can be temporarily near each other.

Astrogation is the controlled entry to and travel in the astral plane. It is actually a temporary separation of body and mind, during which the body is left in nearspace while the mind explores farspace. It is sometimes characterized by a slow, regular, controlled breathing and intense concentration. Astrogators can communicate and travel in farspace at the speed of thought, therefore improving cooperation with each other, even in nearspace. They have learned to keep thoughts in farspace for up to a number of years. Some astrogators are loyal to the Great Houses and some only to themselves. Some astrogators work as spies or thieves, especially thieves of the stores of information in astral libraries.
There is air in farspace, but it is not always composed of the same mixture of materials that composes air in nearspace. However, astrogators need not breathe in farspace, since their bodies remain in nearspace.

In farspace, energy does not dissipate as it does in nearspace. There is plenteous void energy to be found in certain toxic gases, (a.k.a. void magic) and astrogators can collect it for use in nearspace.

Beasts and horrors inhabit Farspace. One such is the somewhat common "astral dragon," (also called a "wyrm," "soul-eater," etc.) which feeds on psionic energy resulting from psionic combat and is mostly unaggressive toward living beings. This beast is enormous in size and appetite. Another example is the mind-worm.

Combat in farspace is called psionic combat. The energy that composed those killed in psionic combat is scattered between all the planes.

Various groups and their relations to farspace:

The Great Houses of Ennakkam have much of their power in, and through, farspace. Their astrogators are their connection with farspace. They have built astral libraries holding information, possibly in the form of thoughts. The libraries are made, all or in part, of energy. They are guarded by monsters placed therein by the Great Houses. The astral library of Baron Vengkal is one example. This library, and perhaps other libraries as well, is difficult to enter due to its lack of entryways.

The Rising Sun and Setting Sun are religions/cults/orders that spend most of their time in farspace. They each have a symbol; the Setting Sun symbol is a perversion of the Rising Sun symbol. The Rising Sun, the more popular order, seeks to attain enlightenment and purity of heart and mind by achieving an existence entirely in farspace. Its inner circle is a renowned group of mages, who have great power in both farspace and nearspace. The Setting Sun also strives to achieve an existence mostly or completely in farspace. Those of this order spend so much time in farspace that their bodies decay in the meanwhile. But they have yet to completely free their minds from their bodies. They have a reputation of greed and impatience, and are despised by those in the order of the Rising Sun.

The Republic of Athisayal offers lessons in basic astrogation to all, regardless of rank. It does so in an effort to reduce the advantage of the Great Houses over others. However, most of the citizens of Athisayal lack the psionic combat skill to survive the dangers of farspace.

The rogues of the vast Horakkaqua Desert ignore farspace and all that comes of it, preferring a natural existence to magic or mind.

Unconfirmed rumors:

It is rumored that some creatures of farspace can travel to nearspace, in a way similar to astrogation.

It is rumored that Reapers may be agents of an entity of farspace, which was angered by the practice of astrogation, now so common and profitable. Contrariwise, it is also suspected that reapers have a weakness for farspace.

It is rumored and in some places commonly believed that dead beings of nearspace live on in farspace, and that such is the fate of the victims of the reapers.

It is rumored that the Rising Sun has found a way, or is close to finding a way, to transfer, or aid the transfer of a sentient creature of nearspace completely into farspace, before and in place of death.
Last edited by TyGuy6 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

In response to my Encyclopedia entry(ies) I will appreciate comments and corrections, additions and subtractions.

It bothers me a bit that there are a few gaps in the basic nature of farspace. For example, astrogators project their minds into farspace, and the libraries seem to hold knowledge in the form of thoughts.

That brings up several questions. Can you see an astrogator's mind floating around? What does it look like? How does it move, and in other ways interact with the environment? (Almulsis said he reached "with his mind, and astral body.") What does a thought look like, and how can you consult it for knowledge? Will we just have to keep using vague words like "reached with his mind" whenever we enter farspace, or is somebody (like you, Sophia) going to answer these questions? (not to put you on the spot, but you are the narrator)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Umm, my biggest comment would be why is this being posted then if you haven't checked it with sophia, had it officially blessed and had questions resolved? (And why is it tyguy's guide anyway?) Seems a little off if you haven't even posted or created a character yet!

Ameena didn't post her rules of magic from nowhere, she managed to create cool rules with sophia and it got incorporated to the story and sophia osted the guide. That would seem the logical way for this to happen if you have ideas about farscape you wish incorporated

There are several parts where you have assumed way to much here - we suddenly have a term for going to farspace? And why such exact yet fuzzy figures for the time it takes? And almost all of your rumours have no basis in the story so far either, except as postulations of you! Certain the 'agent of farspace' thing has come from nowhere! Oh, and nowhere have elemental planes been mentioned yet...that's a more D&D concept of the astral plane then leading to the elemental planes. At this time I don't think anyone's out and out said there are other planes anyone would know about *whistles*

Oh, and I don't think the whole groups bit needs repeated - sophia's entry pretty much covers this, so it just sounds like boring reguritation

In the entry where I was in farspace, almulsis's body was a representation of his body, a wyrm looked like a wyrm, and the libraries looked like buildings

That said, welcome to the RPG then - hope to see you posting soon

I'd
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"Ameena didn't post her rules of magic from nowhere..."
I posted rules of magic? Ooh I don't remember that...I thought I'd only really posted/thought up stuff surrounding Ameena herself. Of course, that may involve magic stuff that she can do, but if so it'd be personal to her (rather than me trying to mess around with the magical laws of the whole world and risk inconsistencies with other people). If she can do mgical stuff, that is ;).
As I gathered from Almulsis's entry into Farspace (I always always think "Farscape" when I see it at first glance lol), he just kinda sits there (in the "real world") and concentrates, and then his mind.spirit kinda disconnects from his body and enters Farspace as a kind of mental projection of himself, where he appears presumably as himself (ie in his robe and stuff as he does in the physical world). Then he can interact with the denizens of Farspace...presumably if it's possible for him to be injured/killed there, his body would errm...well if he died in Farspace I suppose his body'd be kinda brain-dead with n mind to occupy it and so would be kinda dead as well. But when he leaves Farspace normally, he returns to his body and "wakes up" again.
Well that's how I'm picturing it anyway. All these long words and stuff make it sound kinda complicated and weird, so I'll just stick with that description for myself for now hehe ;).
Something we could have is a kind of summary of what's happened so far...I might do that myself...'cause I quite often have to check back through posts for stuff to see what's recently happened and stuff, for example if several weeks pass between postings. It'd be easier if I could just read the summary. And put thread-page numbers on it too in case I need to look up anything specific. Hmm yeah I think I'll do that...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, sophia posted rules of magic based on stuff you'd come up with at the top of the thread here - that's what i meant : ) You create too much stuff!

Yeah, a story summary would be useful I reckon : )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohhh yeah I remember...yeah I remember talking about that stuff with Soph in PMs...
I'll see about starting the story summary either later this evening or when I get on tonight. I'll keep it updated as I will with Ameena's profile as more stuff comes to light.
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Have I broken a rule? Are not the readers of the story also valid sources of input? I consider my Encyclopedia to be a work of art in the process, and not an authority. I spent hours extracting facts/rumors from this thread as well as the story line. Now looking back, it does seem that I have extrapolated some facts. So help me sort it out, hmm?

That's a good point, beowuuf. I would like Sophia's input, but I think the nature of farspace is a bit too big for Sophia alone. I wanted to get input from all of you, since inconsistencies with others' ideas would not be good to make permanent. So let's get to your input:

Beowuuf, you seem to have forgotten some things. Astrogation is definitely as I have defined it. I quote Sophia, from the top of this thread:
the art of astrogation, controlled entry to and travel in the astral plane,
Next point: My exact/fuzzy figures are my own semi-scientific guesses, based on the time Almulsis spent in farspace, and the "moment" that passed by in nearspace. I figured the moment could be from 1/8 of a second to 1 second, and the time spent could be anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes. I said "seemed," after all. Does anyone else think I should take that out? If so, I will.

On the subject of reapers being agents, I quote Sophia again:
Are they the agents of an astral entity angered by all of the incursions from this world into theirs?
Almulsis himself mentioned knowing of the air plane, the fire plane, and others he didn't name.
There are other planes touching this one, ones that few can feel, where time moves differently. He has explored those to his cost. He can even feel some close now, a small stream invading under the red marble the ghost of the planes of air, and the motes of the air, invisible, actually the miniature gateways to the planes of fire
Ameena, thank you for clearing up the question of astrogator appearance in farspace. That one would look like himself in farspace (minus pack and other inventory items) seems to make sense. But does everyone agree on it?

I'm testing the limits to strengthen them. Keep posting inconsistencies, please!