DMute V1.5

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Des
Um Master

DMute V1.5

Post by Des »

I've just downloaded RTC 0.36 (groovee!) but DMute 1.5 doesn't seem to be there yet.... ?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Des wrote:but DMute 1.5 doesn't seem to be there yet.... ?
It should be there: http://www.ragingmole.com/DMute

About half way down the page, there's a "here" link which you can click on to download it...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Didn't spot that, got it now, thanks :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, just yesterday I said you wouldn't be able to do this as the formats were getting too incompatible...i feel stupid!
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I just had a quick stab at converting my Angel's Egg CSBWin dungeon. I got 107 errors and 160 warnings - which I think is amazingly low for an 11-level dungeon. A lot of them were trivial too - such as texts where the maximum line length is longer in CSBWin (they did all get turned invisible though!). When I did a save after fixing some of the errors I got a crash caused by a monster carrying a monster.

I'll have a proper go later and report all errors / problems to George.

It's interesting to think which dungeons might get ported - I would imagine old PC DM dungeons could be done (and given a lick of paint at the same time), and vanilla or lightly customised CSBWin dungeons could be converted but this would probably only happen if the author either wants his dungeon to be available on both formats, or decides he prefers working with RTC. Heavily customised CSBWin dungeons would be right out, of course.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Des wrote:Heavily customised CSBWin dungeons would be right out, of course.
It's not as right out as you might imagine. Before releasing this latest version of DMute I fed it the grand-daddy of CSBWin customisation - confluxIII - to see how it would cope (BTW, it only handles the unencrypted version to stop cheating!).

It actually correctly converts quite a lot of the dungeon; in particular, all the maps and basic tile types (so pits, doors, stairs, hazes etc) but I freely admit it goes a bit wrong when it comes to the items / monsters which would have to be ported over by hand.

Of course, the DSAs would also have to be ported by hand as the internal mechanics for RTC (triggers / converts / actions) are fundamentally different from DSAs.

If anyone needs any help with converting their dungeon; just let me know and I'd be very willing to give a hand. Obviously, if you find any mechanics that are CSBWin specific that can't be replicated in the current version of RTC, just let me know and I'll add in the necessary RTC equivalents to help.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Conflux III on RTC with high-res graphics would simply be awesome. I did start a game of III but found some of the new wallsets very confusing so I actually preferred it less than II and as a result haven't touched it since.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I've been making good progress on my RTC version of Angel's Egg. After overcoming the initial problems (there were surprisingly few and I sent the details to George) I've been working through the dungeon retesting and tweaking everything, and doing some mild customisation (which I find much easier than using CSBWin and associated tools).

I found quite a few subtle differences between the two engines that meant various bits had to be changed. On the plus side, revisiting so many of the puzzles, traps etc. gives me a chance to improve bits of the dungeon that were sub-standard in the original beta.

One rather weird thing I found is the behaviour of Stone Golems. Testing one bit where there is a single Golem guardian, I teleported in my test character and started beating him up with punches and kicks. He never twitched. I tried again and this time he did attack after a few kicks and did my test character (who has 500 health) 480 damage! Doing a search I see both the slowness and excessive stone club damage are fixed - so should I raise this as a bug or is it "by design" ?
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Re:

Post by JETENGINE »

George Gilbert wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:31 pm
About half way down the page, there's a "here" link which you can click on to download it...
I clicked on the "here" button. The only thing I got is a "404 Not Found" error. Am I searching in the wrong place? Was it removed for some reason?

Hoping to get an answer soon,
Jay
Hanging by a thread.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: DMute V1.5

Post by ChristopheF »

I have added the DMute files (version 1.4 and the version 1.5 exe) in the shared OneDrive in the Tools/DMute folder.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Re: DMute V1.5

Post by JETENGINE »

Thank you, Christophe. You are very wonderful at doing nice things for others done quickly.
I give my thanks once again.

Jay.
Hanging by a thread.

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”