More forums??? Your thoughts please!

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

More forums??? Your thoughts please!

Post by Gambit37 »

As you know, I'm building the mother of all DM web sites (!) :) I've returned to it these last couple of weeks, and have redesigned it all (again!) for modern browsers. I have to say , it's looking great, and once I start putting all the content in, I am confident that you'll all appreciate the work that has gone in to it.

I would like to include some forums to discuss stuff that appears specifically on my site. Ages ago I set up some ezBoard forums, and made them match the look and feel of my site. But given that everyone hates the ads and wants to communicate for free, that doesn't seem to be an option now. The main issue is that I would want the forums to match the style of my site.

It makes sense to keep the number of forums down to a minimum, so the questions is: Would it be possible, cowsmanut, to create some forums on here? The only issue as I see it is that it won't match the style of the site.

In time, once I upgrade my webspace to be PHP enabled, I hope to learn how to do this myself and make forums that are integrated into the site. But until then, would this be a possible solution. What do you all think?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL, redesign again? Background mechanics though, right? Because how it looks (from the front page, etc) is great! Don't go changing that again : )

Do you have the ezboard address so we can see the scheme you were going to use?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Redesign? I've changed to look slightly again, and have completely overhauled the menu system. Plus a whole bunch of other stuff. And some more things. Oh, and one or two other bits and pieces. :) That's it now though -- it's not changing again (well, not until I get bored!).

Here's the forums: http://pub52.ezboard.com/bthedungeonmastercodex

This was the last change I made, but the site looks a little different now. I always had it in mind to learn ASP or PHP to create an integrated board, and I hope to do that in the future still. Not sure the best way to go with this...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Anyone have any more thoughts on this? Cow?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Well, seeing the great job Cowsmaunaut has accomplished to change the style of these forums, I think you should forget the idea of opening your own forums and rather concentrate on making your own "skin" for this forum. In that way, users will choose the style they prefer, and can choose your style if they want to have the same graphic style on your web site and on the forums.
No popups, no banners, nice style, integration with other forums. I think it is the best option!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Gambit. Beowuuf, Chritophe, Alan, and George.. I gave you all admin access so you could be able to add forums at your leisure and to help eachother (as well as me) make this a cohesive location for everyone to get what they needed in one spot. If you feel any new sub sections or forums need to be added here then feel free to add them.

As you mentioned the forum "skin" now looks more like your site. I'm not so worried so long as it matches the DM feel. (thus the reason I went away from the Macintosh silver blueberry crap)

Let's not be timid, if there are any big objections to anything done here we can talk it over and take a vote. This a community board not a dictatorship. :)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I was really looking for input on what people would think if I had new forums running as part of my new site -- from a consistency point of view, that's my preferred option, but if everyone (the community) gets too confused because it's more stuff to trawl through, then there's not much point.

I like the idea of everything being in the same place, and if it's possible to make a new skin for the DM Codex forums that matches the site, then that's cool.

Cowsmanaut, is it possible to do that, and is it also possible to add extra stuff to only certain forums (for example, the navigation for my new site)???
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you can make new images and looks for the forums and as also as I understand it if you have a desire to go through the effort even adjust the layout of the forums to boot. There are config files as well as CSS scripts etc to make upt he entire layout, graphics, etc to your liking.

as to the second part of your question.. I'm not sure.. I imagine there may be someway but all you need to know should be on the phpbb board.

www.phpbb.com

moo