What are Special Abilities?

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

What are Special Abilities?

Post by Daecon »

When creating new character in the DM Java editor, I noticed that you can give them Special Abilities. What are these and how do they work?

I've been playing about with it and I can't figure out what they do or how I'd activate them...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

They are, if i recall, the default actuions that would come up with an empty hand
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Try assigning a special ability to a character, such as Steal or Feather Fall, then in the dungeon right click on the character's 'action box' (what do you call the box on the right where you attack/throw/kick?). The Special Abilities come up there.

I assume the CSBWin and RTC don't implement Special Abilities in this way? Not got enough experience to know that.

If you're making a dungeon, the Special Abilities could be used as an interesting plot device.... A dragon could teach you how to Breath Fire!
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Ah, RIGHT-CLICK! Thanks, I tried *everything* else I could think of and I had no idea how to get the darn thing to work.

I was about to give up hope! Thanks!

I'm having real trouble getting past those rooms with the 6 switches on the walls, and that's only the first level. I may edit the dungeon to bypass those rooms so I can continue to play the Dungeon.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Or you could look at the other set of forums - that switch puzzle gets asked about all the time
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I tried looking on there, I thought my computer was being attacked by spyware with all those adverts every 2 seconds!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Agreed, DBD, the pop-ups are a pain.

Dunno who 'pays' for this forum, though..... Thanks whoever you are!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

cowsmanaut - and yes, we should all thank him a hell of a lot mroe than we do!

THANKS COWS!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Three cheers for Cows!!!! I'd buy you a pint... If I could.
Hip-hip! :P

:mrgreen:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

thanks I get from you all making good use of this place. Making cool stuff, starting interesting conversations, making new friends.. all of that makes it work while. :)

moo
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

ian_scho wrote: I assume the CSBWin and RTC don't implement Special Abilities in this way? Not got enough experience to know that.
No they don't, but I can create a similar effect with creative uses of the Create New Attack Method, and giving the new action a minimum EXP level to use, unfortuately it will have to replace one of the 3 standard Bare Hand actions.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No you don't, you can use sub menues so you could have hand - > punch grab steal say, foot - > kick, climb, jump etc

CSBwin you could do some filtering with the party attack and recording champion choice but it woudl be a bit of a hack