Hello

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
bitza
Apprentice

Hello

Post by bitza »

Hiall, I have recently come across this forum. I am a thirty-something dungeon master fan and, though lacking in technical know-how when it comes to dungeon creation, have been seriously impressed by the various dungeons on show. This is just a post to say hi and I'll doubtless be lurkign around here for a while. DM did in fact eat up many hours of my time as a kid. Sadly Iwas seriously bad at it and couldn't even defeat the dragon on level 14 until about last week! That's what you get for having a constitutional objection to training your characters... :wink: still couldhave been worse, I supposse... :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to forums!

Good to see another person who hates training : )
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hello Bitza and welcome !

have you played other dungeons from the "custom dungeons" forum ? some are really good too !
another person from UK - you could make a meeting now ;)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, it's not been worth it with only 200 around...now we have 201 it becomes very viable :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey and welcome, Bitza (I used to watch a cool TV show called "Bitsa" - any relation? ;)), to this weird place of much peculiarity, insanity, and errm...jocularity. If that's a word. Not that I can remember what "jocular" means...something to do with laughing or jokes, right? Meh.
Anyway, yeah, hellloooo and I hate training my chars too...never bothered with that or buffs 'cause I can't be arsed ;).
So I gather that you're yet to delve into the chaotic insanity of CSB? Hehe good luck with it whenever you do ;).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yes, welcome indeed! It's always great to see new members here who love this game as much as we all do. As Ameena said, I suppose the next step is Chaos Strikes Back? If yes, feel free to ask questions! Enjoy your time here!
bitza
Apprentice

Post by bitza »

well, what a warm welcome from one and all! :) I have played CSB a number of times but never actually reached the end (unless you count the time I pinched my brother's saved game (in front of the Ful-Ya pit with all four corbums) but that's probably technically cheating... Biggest problem I had with that one was I constantly got lost. Having no sense of direction meant that, even with maps, I frequently got lost and slowly starved to death (my characters, that is, not me personally, obviously...:)). I have tried a few of the custom dungeons (Imprisoned again, Sukumvits dungoen, Arcane Study, Conflux II and III, Blackflame, Surgical Strike and Angel Egg) No where near completing any of them, but having hilarious fun along the way. (Must work on that sense of direction.. :))

The most scary thing in any dungeon? Two really Being sneak-attacked by a dragon ( ***GRRR***, ***Whumph!**** Aaarrgh!) and suddenly meeting Lord Chaos Sans firestaff+ and realising there is nowhere to run...) Most annoying monster- Giggler. Easily depatched by fireballs I know but when theres a lot of them, kinda anoying as suddenly you are left in the dark with no torches and the little blightersare runnign away.nine times out of ten theone you do corner isn't the one who nicked all your good stuff!

Just a sligth problem. Some of the links for custom dungeons takes me to the dungeon master/csb encyclopaedia forum and the dungeon links apear to be broken. Is this normal, or am I Doing something wrong?

Whew. long post this. Hope no-one falls asleep reading this

:)
see you all soon!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe some dungeons aren't currently available - highlight them in the list thread and i will check it out
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Finding your way around in CSB is probably the hardest part of the dungeon. Its non-linearity and random starting points on each of the four paths can be extremely confusing. But with time and patience, you'll eventually find your way around the dungeon and finally complete it. CSB is actually quite small, much smaller than DM. The difference is that you always have something to do and that it is often hard to figure out where you are and where you need to go.

Cool to see you already tried out some custom dungeons! The same goes there as for CSB - if you have questions, feel free to ask!

I am not sure about the broken links. It could be that some of the links there are very old haven't been updated in years, so that may be the reason. Maybe Zyx or Christophe know more.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

The Encyclopaedia is the best place for manuals, item and monster lists and descriptions and last but not least nearly perfect maps. I also found them to be a little difficult to access the recent days, like first getting a "404 - page not found" and then after a refresh having to wait 2 minutes until the site finally showed up, but eventually it did. Since Christophe has been working on the site recently I assume that this is temporarily only and that the site will be fine again soon, maybe it already is fine again (the last couple of times I could access it without any problems).

If you want to actually solve CSB, albeit you couldn't beat it before, do use the superb Encyclopaedia maps, read a couple of threads about CSB here and add a couple of your own questions there, I'm certain that will help. The Walkthrough for CSB on the Encyclopaedia is also much better than the rather crappy and misleading DM walkthrough there. But then, with those maps linear DM doesn't really need a walkthrough, it's almost self-explanatory from the maps, while CSB still has a couple of tricky places, even with maps (ever tried to understand the mechanics of the couatl room by studying the maps?).
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well I'm sure you'll finish CSB eventually -keep at it ;). I would say "And if you think that's eeevil, try Conflux", but you already have ;).
I agree with you on the getting-ambushed-by-a-Dragon thing. Oh, them and Rats or Hellhounds, simply because the latter two sound like a Dragon. But I reckon Scorpions have the freakiest noise, /shudder.
I agree aboutu Thieves too - little git nicks your sword, you chase him, bash through a bunch of other monsters on the way, blow him up, and find it's the wrong one. Half an hour later a Thief runs up to you and you nuke the crap out of him, only to finally get your sword back :D. Either that or you fall down a pit or something when you first start chasing him. Or do what I seem to keep doing these days - lob a Fireball and then charge forward and nuke yourself in it :P.
And btw that was not a long post. Not on here. Trust me ;).