[Fixed for V0.40] CSB not solvable by normal playing

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

[Fixed for V0.40] CSB not solvable by normal playing

Post by Lunever »

There are a number of locks in the CSB dungeon V0.39 that will instantly crash the game upon trying to unlock them. Among them is the cross-key lock in the DDD, which makes it impossible to get at the Dain corbum.

George: I'll send you savegames, screenshots and diags files for a couple of examples.
Last edited by Lunever on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

No need - I already know about that problem and fixed all of them for V0.40!

(They're a consequence of another bug in the engine, rather than anything wrong with the CSB dungeon itself, that's already been fixed).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Aw, to late, I just sent the mail. But please read it anyway, I have 2 other questions in there that I would like to be solved before V0.40 is released.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PS: Anyone trying to play CSB 39: I noticed that it probably isn't unsolvable though - all pickable locks crash on using their key on them, and most crash also when trying to pick them. A few however only crash on key usage, but not on lockpicking. Luckily the cross-key lock in the Dain part of the DDD is among those who can still be picked, so if there won't be a problem with entering Chaos' inner sanctum in the forge of FulYa, it might still be doable. I already got the 4 corbums (although I skipped the Ku path so far and snatched the Ku corbum from the Ros path) and are in the forge of FulYa. Maybe I can verify tomorrow whether it is solvable or not in its current state.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The Cross Lock can be picked?? :shock: Why on earth would FTL do that? It sort of defeats the whole purpose ans structure of the game. I'm not saying it should be changed in RTC - if it is so in original CSB, then it should be the same in RTC. But I do think it is a serious mistake.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Trantor: I think you misunderstand something here - the cross key is not the special key for Dain like the turquoise key for Neta, the emerald key for Ros or the Solid key for Ku. The special key for Dain is still the ruby key, and the ruby lock can't be picked of course. You merely have to open a cross-lock to get to the ruby lock in the first place, and that cross-lock can be picked. This is as intended and always has been that way in all versions, including FTL-ST/Amiga, CSBWin and RTC, and I see no reason to make any changes in regard to that.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ooh, yes, of course, my bad. I somehow confused the Cross Key with the Ruby Key here, sorry.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Right, I played through, it's been a bit hazardeous though, for Lord Chaos had sent out his most evil minions, the bugs. Yet even they coudn't stop our valiant heroes. :-)

So you can play through, but only if you manage to find the giggler with the lockpicks. If that giggler is running around near the forge of FulYa that can be quite difficult or require some luck.
And you should save very often for about a quarter of the locks in the game will crash it if you try to open them. Yet only one of them is relevant for solving the game, and that still can be picked without a crash as described above.

George, since CSB isn't very playable in its current state I hope that you will release V0.40 soon as a quick bugfix follow-up and reserve big stuff like a complete DM2 RTC-emulation for a later, separate release?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think a complete DM2 RTC emulation is a bit further off that 0.40!

I seem to recall first playing the initial CSB levels of RTC in..version...0.14 - 0.15 betas? And it's now jsut fully bug fixed? :)