My very own "I'm stuck in Surgical Strike"-thread.

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

My very own "I'm stuck in Surgical Strike"-thread.

Post by Trantor »

Ok, I decided to finally play Sophia's evil dungeon, and once again I was proven a bad player, snce I am stuck only after a short while. I explored the starting area a bit, found the blue dragon and a Winged Key, but can't find a lock for it. I found several emerald locks and a diamond-shaped keyhole (Ruby Key?) as well as a Skeleton Lock and a Cross Lock, but no keys in sight for thise. I also have one Iron Key left, but can't find another lock for it (I did open those at the very beginning). Any hints where I should head?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Some Oracle-Style Hints :
For the winged key, look for an IR keyhole, and not too deep. You should have to fly or close a pit to pass the door.
Don't look for the key's you don't have, look for the doors you can open.
The keys will come in time
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Iron keys, just like CSB, can open short cuts back from paths. I would go downand search around, sometiems a p[ressed button can open a path back the way you were and you might not realise

If you start fighting knights, you will be close to the winged keyhole area btw :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I fought several knights to get the winged key in the first place, but now I can't find anything where I haven't been before. I walked around the whole place at least 10 times and am still stuck. So it doesn't have to do anything with the Flying Eyes that were behind some pits?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

No, it is not those pits.
A vexirk in a room full of pits and switches. Near you will find the IR lock.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Still nothing. I think I never found a room like the one you described Joramund, the only Vexirks I found were the ones at the Shooting Gallery. There might have been another, but I am not sure. And the only room with lots of switches and pits I found is the one near the start, where you can close the pit that is opened if you step in fron of the Cross Lock. :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Go right the way back to the start and the walk onwards again...you may have missed an opening that was blocked before... look on walls for switches too.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

:shock:
Ooops!
:lol:
I said something wrong.
:oops:
Okay, sorry, I have mistaken some doors...
Now the winged lock is beyond the cross lock. Though, you still should find the room I described that leads back to the cross lock. Always go up and down in the areas you have already explored, many walls are opened by small switches. I am sorry about my error !!!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ah, ok, but this leads me to the next question - where is the Cross Key? ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think the original advice was best, don't look for keys for specific locks, or even locks for your keys just look for switches etc (Some are subtle or you don't think about at the time - like you press at elast two in the shootign gallery and first tiem through I never thought much abotu them!)

Start at the very beginning and look for all stairs, etc. Note that some closed doors, especially wooden ones, tend to be forceable by fireballs and brute force. Keep checking for areas you didn't realise lead anywhere and also for false pits/false walls and switches - hopefulyl a few more keys shoudl become obvious!
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I have done some back exploration in order to try to help you, but don't expect very useful hints before tomorrow, I'm working.
So I was wrong again : the winged lock is beyon what I supposed is the master lock : a vertical slit lock, in the level with mummies under the start level. (the one with a large room having a closed door without lock nearby the master lock)
You should do something like I did when I was stuck : go to the start position. go as up as you can. If you have a rope, I should recommand that you try every pit you find, none is deadly as far as I'm concerned. When you can't go higher go down, trying all the ways. There are often several way down and only one way up.
Use the magic map to find secret alcoves/pathes.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I'll chime in, hopefully without spoiling too much:

The cross key is found upstairs. It's hidden away a bit, but see if any of the coutals have an idea where you might look. Not everything is as it seems in some rooms.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ok, my bad. I had been absolutely SURE that I checked every single wall in the dungeon and every tile with the OH GOR ROS spell for the magic map, but apparently I forgot (at least) one- Thanks for all your help.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

You know, I'm stuck too. I have one master key, and I can't find any other keys...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You need to look for turquise keys to use either on the doors passed the IR lock, or in the turquiose lock beyond the pits

I remember being like you but getting into the tower, and then having to backtrack and find the keys...forget the breakthrough discovery, sorry!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Er, I think you're confused.

You need to find Topaz keys to open the different quests for Master keys, and Sapphire keys to get deeper into them.

Turquoise keys unlock bonus areas only and are not strictly necessary, but fun!

Joramund, which Master key do you have?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I meant topaz :( I get confused with the names even in DM!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I am stuck in EXACLTY the same place as Trantor was, at the start of the thread.
I did the "poke and prod every orifice but to no joy" thing around the RA key hole at the bottom of the dungeon, but I guess that I've got to return to the start now to...
Start at the very beginning and look for all stairs, etc. Note that some closed doors, especially wooden ones, tend to be forceable... Keep checking for areas you didn't realise lead anywhere and also for false pits/false walls and switches
I thoroughly enjoyed the dungeon up to this bit, but am now ready to throw the whole computer out of the window with frustration, probably killing the neigbours's cat :shock: Lets hope I progress!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Take Sophia's advice ian_scho, and you will progress. I understand exactly how you feel, though, I was about to do the same thing - except for the committing fo murder since my neighbours don't own a cat.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Is Surgical Strike compatible with version 0.40 of RTC?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It seems so ZoKathRa. I downloaded v0.40 today and resumed my SS savegame from v0.39 - everything seems to work fine.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The engine maintains backwards compatibility for the most part...I'm not sure if anything except 'opby spell' has broken that sp far
dmmagic
Neophyte

Post by dmmagic »

First time poster, long time reader.

I seem to be stuck in the Corbomite Energizing Facility with no way to leave the area. There's a door one level lower with a blue keyhole, and a door in the corbomite room that won't open. How do I know when the corbomite is "energized"? The two stairways that lead away from this area on circle me around. There's a pit I can't close that coupld possibly lead away. I've checked every wall for a secret way out.

Help!

:)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, that's a bug (with the engine I believe...kinda...) - it's not an essential route and the oor will open normally, it's just it's being drawn facing the wrong diretcion due to the wall arrangement there

Corbomite energiser.... I assume you've tried putting the wacky little corbum into the shooter and fired it at a wall using the teleporters? After that' it's a case of trying to work out how to energise both wall areas...and it is such a short lived effect...
dmmagic
Neophyte

Post by dmmagic »

beowuuf wrote:Yes, that's a bug (with the engine I believe...kinda...) - it's not an essential route and the oor will open normally, it's just it's being drawn facing the wrong diretcion due to the wall arrangement there

Corbomite energiser.... I assume you've tried putting the wacky little corbum into the shooter and fired it at a wall using the teleporters? After that' it's a case of trying to work out how to energise both wall areas...and it is such a short lived effect...
I have figured out how to energize each wall segment individually... surely I'm not supposed to energize both wall segements at the same time! I'll try again.

[EDIT]: I tried again. There's no way I can do them at the same time. What makes the freakin' door open?

As for the "misdrawn" door... it looks open, but I can't pass through the doorframe.

Poop.

:(
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hello dmmagic, I was stuck at just that spot two days ago as well. You are right, there is no way you can energize both at the same if you try to shoot two fireballs with the shooter... But maybe you have to use the shooter only once and can energize the second part differently...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You will be able to pass through the doorframe if it were open, don't worry - you actually come at it fro mthe other side I believe

Ok, so you've seen how the corbums get energised (what does the thing look like when you shoot it from the wall?)

Maybe if you used the shooter and something else ... somehtign you probably use alot during the game anyway...you may get passed this puzzle!
dmmagic
Neophyte

Post by dmmagic »

Holy moly! Thanks for the tip! Now I've come to the Ore Storgae Chamber. Looks like a puzzel! I'll come back to it when I get home from work.

Thanks again for the support.

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The ore storage puzzle is cool...and mechanically speaking is insanely cool