[Fixed for V0.41] DM2 equipment bugs

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

[Fixed for V0.41] DM2 equipment bugs

Post by Lunever »

I just killed a lot of axemen to do a little shopping and and equipment testing, and noticed a couple of things:
Armour of RaSar: Haha! That looks like a true Cowsmanauts armour. But seriously:

1) The Tech-helm is, like a Crown of Nerra in DM/CSB, supposed to grant +15 wisdom, but doesn't.

2) The Fire-plate is supposed to grant fighter level +1, but doesn't, at least not by any means visibly.

3) The Scarab and the Excsymyr don't grant their Mana boni when held in the left hand, which they should in a DM2 game.

4) Weapons that have an animated icon when wielded mostly do this only in the right hand, but they should use their animated icon in the left hand too I think (even if you can't use them in the left hand like in FTL-DM2).
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

5) The RaSar-shield should have invisibility as an action, but doesn't.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

6) The mithral hosen are supposed to have the effects of boos of speed. Yet, after aquiring 2 pairs and killing off the 2 characters who don't wear boots (and sleeping a long time to make sure there isn't an aura of speed spell still active), I could not notice any difference in speed with or without boots.

7) The magic YaEw-marker, is it supposed to appear on all magic maps, or only on enhanced ones? For I could not see it on the default magic map.

8 ) Aside from the minion spells, the spellshield-spell YaIrDain seems to be missing.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

All fixed for V0.41 apart from:

3+4) This is just an equipped-in-left-hand thing that's been covered on (several) other threads, as opposed to anything wrong with the engine.

7) It's only visible when dain mapping is on (just like the ZoKathRa is).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Right, thanks.

I thought I'd include 3) & 4), because I don't know whether you deliberately have chosen to leave swords non-equipped in the left hand in DM/CSB, or whether you just had forgotten to iclude them too (which might well be since you can equip 2 large staves as well now); yet, if this should be by design rather than by accident, such design would not necessarily be valid the same for DM/CSB and DM2, since in FTL-DM2 this was too not as restricted as in FTL-DM/CSB. RTC might not feature the double weapons of FTL-DM2, because it is a different engine, but it might allow players the same equipping options like FTL-DM2 without effort. After all, if you can use the boni of let's say a Vorpal Blade and an Excsysyr in FTL-DM2, why then not in RTC?

BTW: I'm only writing a monologue about this because I just don't know what you are thinking about it.

BTW2: No matter what swords do, the Kalan gauntlet at least should grant its bonus left-handed.

7) The ZoKathRa too? I never knew that. I wonder why FTL did an additional spell than that does it too. Possibly just because YaEw is cheaper in Mana-cost than ZoKathRa?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:I thought I'd include 3) & 4), because I don't know whether you deliberately have chosen to leave swords non-equipped in the left hand in DM/CSB, or whether you just had forgotten to iclude them too (which might well be since you can equip 2 large staves as well now)
It's deliberate. I bought your argument that a staff could be considered equipped when in the left hand (the Gandalf postulate); I don't believe your swords argument though.
Lunever wrote:After all, if you can <insert pretty much anything> in FTL-DM2, why then not in RTC?
Because they are two completely different games using completely different engines. It just so happens that RTC is sufficiently flexible that it can be configured to look very much like DM2...
Lunever wrote:BTW2: No matter what swords do, the Kalan gauntlet at least should grant its bonus left-handed.
Good point - now done for V0.41.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Long live Gandalf!

Yet seeing people using 2 swords or sword and mace is more common than seeing someone use sword and staff like Gandalf.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

People can use two swords? I can't even use two pens...

Speaking of which, if both hands could be used, were there ever any weapons in DMII that were specifically "2-handed" so you HAD to use both hands to wield the weapon and couldn't even hold an empty flask or anything in the other hand?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

ZoKathRa: Well, depends on the people. In asian martial arts in various countries, 2 sword styles have been tradition throughout history, the most known are probably the chinese twin sword style, using rather light and flexible blades, and the japanese Katana + Wakizashi combinations.

In early western medieval times 2-sword-style was not very wide-spread, which is probably the reason that most RPG designers assume it to be nigh to impossible to learn, although they never tried it. However, even in early medieval times 2 sword style has been at least known in Europe, from the Saracenes, who often had been opponents to European interests, and occassionally European individuals practiced it too, especially when being in middle-east for a longer period of time.

In late European medieval times however it was not a rare practice for dismounted knights or the rather rare heavily armoured infanterist to fight opponents in plate with a combination of mace and sword: You'd use the sword mainly to stab an opponents visor, parry his blows or lock an opponent weapon, while the mace was used to forcefully and repeatedly hit the opponent armour's joints, until they would inhibit the opponents movement enough to make him defenceless against getting stabbed into his helmet.

Of course, such developements have not been linearly or consistently, you will find regional and historical exceptions, but for an RPG with a strong medieval streak like Ars Magica they have proven to work out quite well. Some of it is archaeologically founded historical knowledge, some is half-guessed, and some is experimentally shown by re-enactment fighters (and to a lesser degree by LARPers, though there are numerous people who do both). When I used to practice with steel weapons my favourite combination was a bastard sword and a dirk, but I also like wielding 2 Katanas very much. Of course if you just give someone untrained 2 Katanas to fight he will start out pretty chaotic, but the technique can be learned by practicing methodically, even though some RPGs don't accknowledge this, and you do not have to be naturally ambidextrous to learn it, as some RPGs suggest.

As far as I remember DM2 did allow using 2 hands, with any weapon in either hand, but did not have 2-handed weapons. EOB though did have 2-handed weapons and 2-weapon-style though, like many other DnD games, albeit not all of them.

Edit: BTW: While I can use 2 swords, I cannot use 2 pens either, not even 1 pen in the left hand. Personally I know only 1 single individual who is able to write simultaneously with both hands, but this is probably a one-in-a-million-super-exception.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I coded two handed weapons (you needed an ampty hand to use unless youi were strong/good fighter) in CSBwin, and sophia told me an easy method to check for empty hands in RTC so it's very doable in this engine to
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Lunever wrote:
the japanese Katana + Wakizashi combinations.
(...)
Personally I know only 1 single individual who is able to write
simultaneously with both hands, but this is probably a one-in-a-million-super-exception.
1) Just checked Wikipedia:
Miyamoto Musashi introduced the rather unorthodox
"Niten Ichi ryū"two swords/one heaven (KAtana and Wakizashi) style
in the 16th century.
It's effective against several enemies ; employs parrying and cutting manoevres.

The wakizashi(short sword) was -until then- out of a Samurai's codex of honour not used for fighting.

Main purposes were : seppuku ("turn the inside out"/suicide) and for severance of enemie's heads or,
as a substitute, when the main weapon katana was lost

2)Who is this person writing with two hands simultaneously?
I am curious, because I tried , too! :lol:
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Zoooom:
1) That might be, all I say that in my knowledge AND my experience 2 swords as well as mace and sword can be employed simultaneously pretty efficient. I just love it when parrying an opponent blow with both swords at first, keeping the hold on the opponent weapon with one of the swords, firmly pushing the opponent weapon aside while striking with the second sword. I hate opponent shields though.

2) He's a teacher on a school I've been (WWG-SK), teaching mathematics and philosophy (sic!). He was famous for doing drawings with 1 hand and writing simultanously with the other hand on the blackboard. Never seen anything like it.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

o.t., sorry ;)
Lunever:
2) Really cool! If he will be some day on youtube?

1)You practice some martial arts with swords?
What is it called?
I watched on ARTE once an very old fighting style:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalarippayat
it is called kalarippayat, and even influenced shaolin kung fu!
(I was thinking origin of martial arts was shaolin!)
Anyway there it is possible to fight with sword and shield
against single sword etc. It is like you are not a fighter, but
also learn how to treat the various wounds of people both that
do this training and normal people!
The key is maybe movement and defensive techniques that
also are attacks somehow(or attacks that defend you)
I like Kung fu movies very much. There are some educating japanese
Sword films. Samurai Fiction(made from a guy that has
advertising experience, so nice perspectives). puh, no more come
to my mind.. You know what I am saying?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Youtube??

Well, currently I am not actively pursuing swordsplay anymore, but I used to do so for years. Of course I'm not doing Kalaripayat. The training in the Kalari is very very hard, it is exoctic to the extreme outside India, and has become more popular even there only on the recent years after the Brits had forbidden it by harsh punishment for decades. It is not only related to the indian temple dance, but also to the art of Yoga, like Taji is related to Qi gong. Taji I did practice for many years, also with swords and staff, but although I practised a Chen style that is still not only a gymnastic course but also a martial art, actual combat has not been the central aspect of the Taiji training.
But, aside from some LARP, I did medieval sword training with a slight streak of Escrima techniques in it for some time, with heavy blades being the central aspect, i.e. broadswords, longswords (yes I know the historicity of longswords is doubtful), and my favourite, the bastard sword, either 2-handed or 1-handed with a dirk as secondary weapon.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Lunever, you wrote: this is probably a one-in-a-million-super-exception(...)
Never seen anything like it.
--> therefore I thought it would qualify him for "Youtube".

You could make a real cool movie if you let him wear a pullover
that has an eye imprinted on the back. or put him in a costume! (Kind of an alien uber teacher :P Just kidding, what do I know!)

It is true what you write ,I forgot about the temple dance.
"Tai chi chuan" or Taji what it is called really is a great sportive
activity even for higher age! Maybe Yoga as well.
It cannot be stressed enough that, like you pointed out lunever,
combat or aggression is not the main part of martial arts training.
In Taekwon Do there is the way of do, for example. DId it for some time , and hopefully continue/ (restart) soon.
Also, bo or sword fighting would be nice to try out!
These kinds of training have positive effects on your body and mind. Well, practically every sport is good. but this leads to far.