*pulls hair out*

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

*pulls hair out*

Post by Daecon »

I've just had the download fail for the second time. I'd been downloading for over half an hour and had about 10 minutes left to go when the download suddenly "completed" and wouldn't open.

I know it's my absurdly slow violence-inducing internet connection 5Kb/sec... I just need to rant.

I really don't want to have to wait another 45 minutes of downloading if it's going to crash again at 90% complete and I STILL can't open the file...

*curls up in a corner and wails softly*
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Post by Chaos Awakes »

I take it you aren't using any sort of download accelerator then?

I use GetRight for everything, always have since they invented it! Never had any problems with it - if the download stops it just reconnects and carries on where it left off. I thought most people used one of these these days lol :)
I couldn't go back to starting downloads from scratch - oh the memories that brings back from all those years ago (sobs)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Some servers don't support resuming downloads, so even those kinds of tools won't help.

I'm at work so can't really help right now, but I'm sure some kind soul will email you the zip file, Zo...
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Post by Chaos Awakes »

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever encountered one of those servers and I must've downloaded thousands of files by now.

I've just downloaded RTC .41 with GetRight and paused and resumed it several times on purpose so anyway, the server on which RTC sits DOES support it.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I got it now! *dances*

I had to leave my computer running the download and not touch/look at anything else, I think last time it stopped/crashed the download when I was searching other sites, emails and such.

I'm on "wireless" internet connection and it's a bad area where I live, so I'm stuck with whatever download rate I can get. Plus when I exceed my monthly alloted limits with my ISP my bandwidth is actively restricted to dial-up speeds, which is what's happened here.
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!