[Done for V0.42] Ordering the Money Box

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

[Done for V0.42] Ordering the Money Box

Post by Daecon »

After something mentioned on another thread, I was thinking... how about a click-to-sort option for Money Box items?

That way you can place them in the box with no worry and just press a button to arrange your coins and gems in a nice neat order of value or something?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

how about adding this feature to the shop keepers, so when you hand the money box over for them to sort out all your loose change, they also arrange it all neatly in the box 8)
Cheers,

John Newman
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Coins (or anything else) have no intrinsic value though...

Each shop defines its own system of currency (so one shop may accept copper with a value of 1 and silver with a value of 4, but another in the same game may accept coppers with a value of 3 and screamer slices with a value of 1).

The only thing you could order on would be weight or alphabetical by name - neither of which seems particularly useful.
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

Thats true, but ALL shops value each item of currency equal to 4 items of a lower currency. i.e. 1xgold = 4xsilver, 1xsilver = 4xcopper etc.

Try it yourself in the original DM2, put a money box on the left table with nothing else, the shop keeper will sort all your change for you :)
Cheers,

John Newman
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

rubjonny wrote:Thats true,
It is...
rubjonny wrote:but ALL shops value each item of currency equal to 4 items of a lower currency.
...but that's not!

As I said above, EACH shop can have it's own system of currency, not only defining what items are considered "currency" (coins, gems, conch shells or whatever), but also what value they are. To be absolutely specific, the RTC engine imposes no restrictions on the currency used by the shops (which is a good thing).

As a result of this, no item has an "intrinsic" value (it might be accepted in one shop but not in another for example) in any other place in the game other than actually in a shop.

In fact, even within the original DMII game, it's not true to say that ALL shops have the same currency conversion rates (x4) - for example, the one where you get the clan key, every item of currency has exactly the same value...
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

What I'm saying is if you hand over your money box they'll sort it according to the 4xlower currency rule. I did it many times because I just love seeing all those shiny, shiny blue diamonds 8)
I know each shop values things differently, haggling was always alot of fun. I even tried pinching money off the table just as they accepted the final price, though I never did get away with it :lol:

Though it was a while back now, I'm sure I used to check now & again how much money was in the box it over the eye icon before & after, just to make sure I hadn't been short-changed :lol:

I'm sure I found a way to get the copper coin back from the 'ghost shopkeeper' too, but it was a long time ago now. I'm starting again from the begginning now so we'll see :)
Cheers,

John Newman
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

rubjonny wrote:What I'm saying is if you hand over your money box they'll sort it according to the 4xlower currency rule.
Indeed - and that's what the RTC ones do too (although the 4 isn't hard coded into the engine, it's a property of the shop)
rubjonny wrote:I know each shop values things differently,
Yep - and each shop also values the *currency* differently, as well as the things they are selling.
rubjonny wrote:haggling was always alot of fun.
You can do that too in RTC.
rubjonny wrote:I even tried pinching money off the table just as they accepted the final price, though I never did get away with it :lol:
You can do that too in RTC (and you shouldn't be able to get away with it either!).
rubjonny wrote:but it was a long time ago now. I'm starting again from the begginning now so we'll see :)
Indeed - have fun!
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

ok cool it looks like we were talking about different things here :lol:
All I was suggesting was that as part of the shopkeeprs loose change sorting, they could arrange the 'items' in the money box neatly as well :)

So would it or would it not be possible to have the 'item' layout in the moneybox ordered neatly, (diamonds top left, coppers bottom right etc) as per the original DM2? ;)

(more importantly, can you be bothered to implement such an unimportant feature :lol:)
Cheers,

John Newman
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Oh I see - you want the *shop* to re-order it (as opposed to sorting being an intrinsic property of the money box).

That should be easy enough - as above, the shop knows the relative value of everything :-)

Why didn't you say so in the first place ;-) ;-)
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

:lol:

Ideally I'd want both, but its pretty easy just to put your money where it should be i guess. Having the shop tidy it all up for you would be great. Perhaps have a variable delay depending on how messed up it is, and if its REALLY bad have the shopkeeper just throw it back at you 'Not worth my time mate!' :lol:
Cheers,

John Newman
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Done for V0.42 (sorting by the shop that is).
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

:)
Cheers,

John Newman