Hit & Run (DM Original level 3)

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

Hit & Run (DM Original level 3)

Post by Daecon »

I'm playing the Original DM on RtC, on level 3 in the "time is of the essence" room there's a switch that says "hit and run", however I can NEVER get past it in time before the wall reappears!

It's very frustrating, and I can't even edit the dungeon because I get compile errors which means I'm unable to save my game afterwards.

Also, on the level below it near the start there's a pressure pad which opens a portcullis, then a switch which activates a teleporter that takes you next to it, but I can't get through because the instant I get there the portcullis starts to close again and I just end up hurting myself on the closing thing.

Can anyone offer advice?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

1) It'd be better if you used coordinates, Encyclopaedia ones or RTCEd ones, so we can be sure that we talk about the same parts of the dungeon.

2) You need to make sure that none of your characters has critical injuries, especially not on his feet. Critical injuries are shown by a red border around that body part. If you have injuries create Vi-potions to heal them. And you have to be sure that none of your characters is overloaded, so the "load" of the character has to be white-grey, if it is yellow or red you are to slow because you are overloaded. If you have doubts just leave behind most of your equipment outside.
It is difficult to do it with the mouse pointer alone. It is far easier to press the wall button by mouse, but move by using the movement keys for sidestep-movement and forward movement on the keyboard with the other hand.

3) You need to do the same for the other door you speak about. Be healthy, don't be overloaded, press the wall button with the mouse with one hand and do sidestep movement with the other hand on the keyboard. You will get the door on your head and be hurt, but you will be able to slip unto the other side then.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Movable Wall: (RTC)
Local co-ords: 11,7,2
Offset co-ords: 21,22,2

Portcullis: (RTC)
Local co-ords: 14,30,3
Offset co-ords: 19,35,3

All 4 of my characters have full health and no injuries, and all their load levels are in the grey area. There is no slow-down when they move, but the wall re-appears just as I reach it, and the portcullis descends immediately after teleporting.

I don't have side-step keys on my laptop keyboard layout, I may have to modify the movement keys to QWE/ASD or something.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yes, I modified the keys too for my laptop. do it with keys. Or you can further optimize it by freezing the game while moving the mouse to its next icon, but keyboard is the best solution and should do it.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Definitely use the keyboard for movement - not just for these puzzles, but try to get accustomed to moving with the keyboard in general. It is much quicker and you are less likely to hit a wrong key once you are accustomed to it.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I usually do use the arrow keys for movement, but the <- and -> arrows on my laptop just turn my party, nothing side-steps.

I guess it should be easy enough to change in the Config.txt file though.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

RTC makes it very easy in the config file. Just use the normal windows text editor and substitute the keys with the ones you prefer. The config text in RTC has lots of descriptive text in-between to tell you exactly what you have to do and how you do it. Just take care not to delete a TAB-space accidentally and replace it by SPACEs. If you mark the text to be substituted and type the new one, like "S" instead of "HOME" it should work fine.

On the laptop I use S for forward, X for backward, A for turn left, D for turn right, Y for sidestep left, C for sidestep right, F1-F4 for the inventories and F5 for cycling them, 1-6 for the magic runes and 7 to delete them, TAB for cast spell and QWER for the casting character choice. If you have trouble with a puzzle you have the ESC key handyly close to your other keys so you can quickly pause and unpause the game.
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

Youre supposed to cast a 'speed' spell, then you run faster and can make it ;)
Cheers,

John Newman
mikko
Craftsman

Post by mikko »

But there is no 'speed' spell in the original Dungeon Master.. :roll:
rubjonny
Apprentice

Post by rubjonny »

oops, has it really been that long! I'm thinking of using the spell in dm2 to help you get past the rams :oops:
Cheers,

John Newman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And you don't even have to use it there - I don't think I've ever used the Accelerate spell, yet I've got to the end of the game easily ;).

Post by rubjonny »

I think I used it now & again when my party was overloaded. Actually no, I used a strength potion 8)
Cheers,

John Newman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I just didn't get encumbered ;).

Post by rubjonny »

I like to have everyone in my party to have armour, plus all the tons of food I used to lug about. Eaily done :lol:

Edit: just checked an old save game, even my money box weighed 2.4 kg 8)
Cheers,

John Newman
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

perhaps your keyboard key delay is too long, maybe that might be it
keep your gor coin handy