[Fixed for V0.43] Conditional relay backwards compatibility

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
TheMormegil
Adept

[Fixed for V0.43] Conditional relay backwards compatibility

Post by TheMormegil »

Key Spell Doesn't work in Dark Portal

I won't say too much so as not to give spoilers.
But it doesn't seem to work.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Ahh OK - I can now see what the problem is.

There's a problem with the backwards compatibility of relays that check the contents of your hands for a specific object type that's preventing the spell you're referring to from working.

Sophia - if you recompile DP for V0.42, it will work again (i.e. it's only a problem with the back-compatibility, rather than the main engine).

Everyone else - the V0.41 game is still completable using RTC V0.42 (I've just played through and done it). When you get to the point that TheMormegil refers to, then you will also require the flute in your hand to get the spell to work (bizarre I know, but that's bugs for you!). There is also another puzzle in the dungeon that *cannot* be completed; fortuntely however it's not required to finish the game (although it will require you to guess the rune combination for a spell with no hints!); when you get to that point, you'll have to guess or PM someone with where you are, what you've tried and they'll PM you back with what should have happened to give you the rune combination you need!
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

How on earth did you work out that putting the flute in your hand makes it work!?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I assume the diagnosis file says why the event didn't trigger or what was being looked for?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

It helps when you can stop the execution of RTC at the point when the spell is cast and have a look at what value all the internal variables have!

In this particular case, the line that should say "if item in hand is <the thing it should be>" actually said "if item in hand is the flute". Basically, the required object is not being read in correctly and it could have been anything - it's quite lucky it's turned out to be something that's both in the dungeon and available to the party at the point when the spell is needed.

Unfortunately, the second puzzle that I referred to, the object now required isn't available, but purely by chance, the spell isn't needed to complete the game - which again is lucky.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Oh, more backward compatibility issues?

Ok, I'll recompile. At least with DP there haven't been massive changes to the .txt file format in the meantime (which is why I'm kind of slack on recompiling SS, whee!)

Can you PM me more specifically what's going on?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.43

(Note that the fix is in the code that *saves* the compiled dungeon, not loading it, so you'll have to recompile it again with the V0.43 release, but thereafter it should be back-compatible with future releases).