Tables & gesture menu

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
billgus
Journeyman

Tables & gesture menu

Post by billgus »

In FTL, tables (etc) used what is now known as a gesture menu. You hold the mouse button down (with the hand on the edge of the table) and then move the mouse to select the eight choices. It was fast.

In RTC, you click on the table and get a menu on the side. And it's not the full eight choice menu - you have to step through several sub-menus to find the action you want.

The FTL gesture menu was real-time. Maybe freeze the engine for the RTC menu?

There are some places in the game where you need to grab and move a table or lamp to block an approaching enemy. In RTC, the party will be dead before the menu selection can be done.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

This is the way it's done, and I think it works fine. Nowhere in DM2 did you need to block an enemy with a table quickly.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yet Billgus has a point there - The submenues ARE a valuable addition to the game, but the way they are handled now is very impractical and unergonomical. Previous suggestions from me to improve that didn't seem to be good enough either to make it into the game, but well, here's another one:
How about having Tabs with a short name above the 3 usual actions to switch between certain sets of 3 actions (although I'd still prefer 4 actions, even with tabs)? So you with the tables you could for example quickly switch between the menues "Move", containing push & pull, "Side", containing option to move the table to the left or right, and "Spin", containing options to spin the table left or right.

A dungeon designer could also use such tabs to make submenues like "Magic" for the spells contained in a staff, "Fight" for swing/parry, and "Do" (named after the Do skill of Mage the Ascension because it is shorter than "Unarmed") for kick/throw/warcry.

Other suggestions to make the handling of submenues more practical?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I still think they are ok and do the job...surely movign a table shouldn't be too easy!