[Not a bug] Friendly minions are obstacles

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
billgus
Journeyman

[Not a bug] Friendly minions are obstacles

Post by billgus »

The guide implies that the party and a friendly minion can co-exist in a square. It doesn't work in RTC. Could someone with DOSBox+DM2 check if the IBM version allows it?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

This has already been discussed, I even thought it was with you - RTC engine does not allow monsters and party to co-exist. The DM2 engine did allow you to walk throug minions, bats, vortexes and spirits at least.

This is simply a difference.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

As Beowuuf has said, this is a deliberate difference between RTC and the original game.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Is there a way of emulating the original behaviour with existing mechanics, or has the engine to be changed to allow this?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The theoretical mechanics would be very, very weird when I've thought about doign it for certain creatures...basically it would be an engine change, and since GG isn't changign the engine then it's not somethign straightforward...
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Really? I'd have presumed it would be like setting the minion up like an item, in that the party can walk through tiles that have items on them.

Is there an inherent difference in the way the engine recognises things like scrolls, food, chests and the like which you can walk "through" as opposed to items such as boulders and tables and monsters which block your path?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Then how do you deal with damage it or have it interract? Does that mean other creatures can pass through the same space too? (I do not believe that minions could pass through other minions nor critters pass through minions, would have to check)
billgus
Journeyman

Post by billgus »

Beowuuf: I did bring it up -- in a message that disappeared. I have since found it in an archive area. But it was really gone for a while - even the forum's search engine couldn't find it.

One point is that we have monsters in corners of a square, on the 2 (4!) sides, and in the center. The minion is a center critter and the party members are corner critters.

This can also apply to scenery. A single tree trunk in the center of the tile may not be an obstacle. But four small trees - in the corners - will be.

But it can wait on the wish list.

One way to solve the entrance door puzzle is to get one door open, cast a guard minion there, and then do the next, etc. The minions get pounded on by the doors, but can last - and keep the doors open - long enough to finish the puzzle.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have all but finished DM2 on RTC now (where oh where is dargoth) and haven't found any engine issues stopping me doing anything btw

The fact that GG archived your first post should have hinted not to post this as a bug again, especiallt since he's just gone and done it again and this post will be archived next release too!

I'm sure if there is a big cry for it, AND it becomes obvious how to easily do it without making major headaches for backwards compatibility etc it might happen.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also, I've just played original DM2 just now and am actually bloody annoyed by the minion ability to occupy my tile, as they do it making it impossible for me to kill themon, say, the thin strip between the ladder and reflector on the zo link room - given the amount that get generated, this is not fun