[Fixed for V0.43] Teleport critters can walk thru mirrors

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
billgus
Journeyman

[Fixed for V0.43] Teleport critters can walk thru mirrors

Post by billgus »

In FTL/DM2, the teleporter critters could not occupy the same square as a porter/scout minion, lamp, or mirror. (OK, tables were probably excluded too - I never tried one.)

I built a wall from the mirrorpuzzle over the quad pit puzzle. That isn't possible in 0.42.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I'm not quite sure that I follow what you're saying there. Can you give a little more detail as to what you were trying to do (and what did / and what you expected to happen)?
billgus
Journeyman

Post by billgus »

After solving the mirror puzzle ...

Grap a mirror and push it into the teleporter's area. Wait till they move away and then push it one more. Go back and get another mirror. Push it likewise but use your "Push/left" (which doesn't work). Now you can step into the NW-most square and the teleport's can't reach you.

When they're away, use Push-Right on the second mirror. Go back and get a third mirror. Push it into the room, Push-Left, Push and now you have two safe squares.

Repeat.. You can build a mice safe path along the north wall.

When you run out of mirrors, break the door open and start using tables and lamps.

You can now continue the wall and safe corridor down the east wall.

Occasional saves recommended.

I think you could get close in RTC by having triggers in the haze room that activate pillars in the theives' room. You do have a floor trigger for movable obstacles - don't you?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I don't see why you'd want to do this though as the teleporters are avoidable enough, and don't teleport you too far away. I guess it will need to be an engine difference for now. I'm not saying it's not a very creative solution to that room!

Totally OT, but i have forgotten the point of the four pit puzzle...why would you want to get to the fourth pit?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

A creative solution indeed - one upon which a couple of custom puzzles might be based, if this should be implemented.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Or you could already fake it if you want a puzzle based on such a thing
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:A creative solution indeed - one upon which a couple of custom puzzles might be based, if this should be implemented.
What billgus is describing here (or actually in any of the other bugs reported) is nothing to do with the engine; merely differences in the DM-II dungeon that can be corrected by changing the DMII.txt file.

I.e. you can do it yourself in other dungeons already.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed the DM-II dungeon for V0.43 so that you can now use the mirrors to "herd" the teleporters.