RTC Global Hall of Champions

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

RTC Global Hall of Champions

Post by George Gilbert »

I've now updated the gHoC with all the completed games that have recently been sent to me. There are now sufficient entries to justify separate "Top 10" tables for the time and distance taken as well as overall score. The scores are all here.

Notable results so far are PaulHs completion of the DM dungeon in just 58 minutes, and Lunever taking 9 of the top 10 scores in DM.

The competiton for the CSB dungeon however is wide open, and no-one has yet attempted playing (or at least, have lived long enough to finish) at a high difficulty level where the scores obtainable are much larger...
Last edited by George Gilbert on Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Thanks! Hm, maybe you should limit the gHoF to 1 entry per dungeon per player, or expand it to a top 20. I think it'd be better if there were more other players beside me shown in the Hall of Fame of DM.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You're not that dominant, other people have just as many entries in other categories.

Do the tables reflect how many people actually have entered?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:Thanks! Hm, maybe you should limit the gHoF to 1 entry per dungeon per player, or expand it to a top 20.
A top 20, 50 or even 100 doesn't really solve the problem - you've played the dungeon so many times that you account for about 90% of all the entries...<fanning the flames>your scores aren't that dominant though - quantity over quality<steps well back> (*)

I considered limiting the entries in each table to 2 per player though, but didn't think there'd be much support for that - let me know if people think differently though.

(*) Yes, I know you were testing the dungeons so weren't trying for a good score ;-)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

beowuuf wrote:Do the tables reflect how many people actually have entered?
No - they're just the top 10 in each category.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, might be interesting to keep a note for each table of the number of entries /competitors aswell then : ) Top ten out of 100 is more impressive than the top 10 of 10!

And yeah, I don't see the point in limiting the entries either
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

beowuuf wrote:might be interesting to keep a note for each table of the number of entries /competitors aswell then : ) Top ten out of 100 is more impressive than the top 10 of 10!
True, but the number of submitted dungeons is a pretty meaningless number - I mean, if you know you're not in the top 10, then you don't bother submitting it...
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Anyone completed DM-II yet?

Once I've got enough entries to justify a high-score table, I'll put one up...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

But it's with a beta version so dunno if it is countable :)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

The beta version you had actually turned into the real one without any further changes - so yes, that does count; send me the file and I'll post up the table when I get a few more.
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

Well, I competed RTC_DM2 twice but with exported characters :D
This challenge must be done with Torham Zed ?
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Scores can be submitted with any party (although if they're too strong for the dungeon, your score will be reduced to compensate - the way to get the maximum scores is to play with the original characters, on high difficulty settings).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

The score is reduced to compensate? I thought that would be already be balanced by the monsters increasing in strength along with the party?
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

George Gilbert wrote:the way to get the maximum scores is to play with the original characters, on high difficulty settings).
So, playing, for instance, with Alex, Hissssa, Halk and Boris provides better score than exporting CSB characters even if the exported % is equal or less than 99% ? :o

Also, playing with bad character (Syra, Zed) gives the sames bonus that playing with good character (Boris, Stamm) ? 8)
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

When he said "original character", did he not mean the original DM2 characters? So, like, Torham, Bane, Equus, errm...whoever else there is...I always rename 'em so I can't remember most of their names ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The dungeon is designed for those charatcers, so if the designer has left in some crappy or too good characters, that is not for anyone else to judge! (Or do you really want to over-rule the designer of custom dungeons : ) )
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

Oups, sorrry ! I was thinking about DM1 :D
And, well, it's not possible to rename DM2 character in RTC_DM2, right ?
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, no it is not

Poor Cletus never got to be affectionately called a slack-jawed yokel in RTC DM2
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

$eoub!!! wrote:
George Gilbert wrote:the way to get the maximum scores is to play with the original characters, on high difficulty settings).
So, playing, for instance, with Alex, Hissssa, Halk and Boris provides better score than exporting CSB characters even if the exported % is equal or less than 99% ? :o
Sorry - poor explanation on my part.

The only things that are taken into account when scaling the score are the import %age and the difficulty setting in the config.txt file.

If you're importing characters though, usually they'll be trained up and so over 100% (which is all I meant by saying that playing with the original characters would be better). And by "original" I just meant those that were included in the mirrors with which ever dungeon you're trying to play rather than DM.

BTW the %age algorithm is such that *any* combination of characters from mirrors in the dungeon will give you a value of less than or equal to 100% when importing them into the same dungeon...

...and therefore the way to get the maximum scores is to play with the original characters, on high difficulty settings.
Last edited by George Gilbert on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

Ok, got it !
Time to play with Tiggy Tamal alone in level 15 difficulty :twisted:
(and in CSB ^^)

EDIT : Is my avatar not too big ?
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, it's too wide. Can you make it a max of 90pixels wide please?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

im right at the end of DM2, dont think I did it in record time. Is this with single character or you you just pick the best character from the save?

Also, this may be a thicko question, but how do you set difficulty level, it it a setting on a new version, on in the config?

A
Regards,

Andy
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Difficulty increase can be set in the config.

Each character is evaluated separately for the high score, so if you have been playing well with a full party, you might get 4 entries in the global hall of champions.
Last edited by Lunever on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I just checked - it's in the Config file, the section after the one where you can change they keys. You can set the difficulty level and the quantity of extra monsters (if any).
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I've just put up the latest batch of scores ( http://ragingmole.com/RTC/scores.html ); let me know when you complete any dungeons (especially DM-II) and I'll add them to the list.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

In the following cases, does it have the qualification that enters gHoC?

A) Import the character created with editor.
B) EXTRA_MONSTERS is changed.

Moreover, if A is allowed, is the concealed status allowed to be changed?
The rise of the concealed status doesn't raise a difficult level now.
Therefore, I think that it is unfair to do it.
It is thought that "The concealed status should be all 100" should be made a rule until the reflection in a difficult level adjusts.
Please forgive poor English.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

... Are there any 'playbacks' available from the top players? I'm only really interested in seeing up to 10 mins or so, just to see what their secret is. Strong wrists doesnt count, by the way.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The playback option has only been going for a version or so, so I'm not sure if anyone has recorded themselves yet : (

I forget if you know CSBwin's workings well, but there are some competition games in that for DM and CSB that will let you see some tricks of the trade
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

... Ah that's true - I vaguely recall someone completed CSBwin in 30 seconds while supping tea, or something like that.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

OK. I send the dungeon module.
I made the character with the status adjusted to increase the score, and used it. but the concealed status is all 100.
And, I ended the dungeon that changed EXTRA_MONSTERS.

I do not care even if this character is not admitted to enter gHoC.
Still, it is thought that this is interesting data.
Please forgive poor English.