Greatsword debate (split topic)

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Greatsword debate (split topic)

Post by Lunever »

Reply to part of this post/topic- b.

Tom H.: Actually Greatswords ARE bludgeoning weapons. On contrary to eastern layer-fashioned medieval high military blades like Katanas, western medieval swords usualy haven't been sharp. Sure you can easily slice someone with a sharp sword, but if you clash a sharp sword, one that is not fashioned layered like a Katana, against another weapon it will quickly break. Actually western medieval swords don't need to be sharp. If you know what a wooden clob or an iron bar can do to a man, you can easily imagine that a non-sharpened sword is pretty sufficient to kill. Typical wounds deriving from western medieval swords are broken ribs and extremity bones, incapacitating the opponents fighting capality leaving him helpless against a coup de grace, and with the poor western medical standards during the period of history even immediate survival of such injuries often had been followed by death.
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Typical wounds deriving from western medieval swords are broken ribs and extremity bones, incapacitating the opponents fighting capality leaving him helpless against a coup de grace, and with the poor western medical standards during the period of history even immediate survival of such injuries often had been followed by death.
Wow. Right in the middle of all of this light hearted humor, too. :lol:
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Lunever:
I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I never implied great swords were used to slash. Contrary to what you've said, I could also argue with you that Greatswords are piercing weapons. They're long as to provide considerable reach while thrusting between ranks. The fact that you can swing one is an added bonus, but the pierce is substantially more effective for immediate incapacitation, hence what you said about the coup de grace. If it matters, I did a weapons study on Medieval warfare many years ago because I knew the D&D rules were recycled bullshit.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Tom Hatfield wrote:Lunever:
I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I never implied great swords were used to slash. Contrary to what you've said, I could also argue with you that Greatswords are piercing weapons. They're long as to provide considerable reach while thrusting between ranks. The fact that you can swing one is an added bonus, but the pierce is substantially more effective for immediate incapacitation, hence what you said about the coup de grace. If it matters, I did a weapons study on Medieval warfare many years ago because I knew the D&D rules were recycled bullshit.
Greatswords are blunt, they are bludgeoning weapons in real life, but in fantasy they're sharp. As for stabbing, that's just silly. How on earth would you generate the thrust required to penetrate armour with a huge sword? In D&D maybe but D&D isn't real...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Actually a great sword is not a specific singular type of weapon but a variant on various other weapons which have changed over the years. You can see various types of these swords some having a section just above the crossbar wrapped in leather to allow for more leverage if need be by simply gripping this section.

A greatsword is not a fantastic slashing sword obviously simply because of the fact it's so long.. it is fine for hacking and thrusting in most cases though.

It is suggested that the larger blade and heavier weight was designed with the armour of the time in mind. That the added weight would make it easier to hack into the armour.

It is also not mentioned in any of the texts that I have read about anything but a small section above the crossbar, being blunt. Many were just as sharp as their smaller counterparts.