To all the bookworms

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

To all the bookworms

Post by Opa-Loka »

A name was mentioned in another post. A famous name which rings very loudly in the hall of champions.

Elric of Melniboné

The Champion Eternal. Written by Mr Michael Moorcock.

Are there many bookworms at this forum?
I'd just like to share my thoughts of this writer who inspires images, only dreams can create.
Moorcock is a writer who came out of the drug fuled 60's. He writes of vivid lands, apocalyptic times and alternate multiverses. The Eternal champion was a fantastic concept of a hero set in different worlds that was always doomed to lose that which he loved.
The Champion took on many guises:- Erecose, Elric the drug dependant albino with his demon sword stormbringer, Corum with the silver hand, and Hawkmoon with a jewel in his skull. The four who shall become one.
The books numbered into the ..... ok more than I have fingers and toes. But the fantasy in the worlds Moocock created rivals that what tolkien created some 30ish years before.
But Moorcock created more than just fantasy, the apocalyptic doom books like The deep Fix and The Black Corridor are a wonderous read. Set in a furture not to distant, Moorcock discribes mankinds loss of sanity and one mans responsibility to bring hope to the masses. The Deep Fix follows a scienctist who tries to find a cure to a mass problem. People have gone NUTS. So by the use of drugs he enters a nightmare world where logic ceases to exist, and you read this guys dreams as he searches for a cure for mankind.
The Black Corridor (which I must admit geekishly I've read more times than is healthy) follows Ryan and his efforts to save his family and friends from humanities paranoia. Written in 69? before the influx of minorities to Great Briton, Moorcock looked into a future where racism streamed from English Patriots, Welsh Nationists, Feminists and Unionist leaders, all balancing on a knife edge looking for an answer to why humanity had taken a turn for the worst. Ryan probably the only sane man alive sets out to save his loved ones from the impending madness. He takes them through space to start a new life. And its now the book really comes into it's own. The trip will take 5 years, so he is alone, with his family lying suspended cool in their sleep. He must over see their hibernation. But alone he allows his mind to wander, to remember his reasons for leaving. But alone his mind plays tricks. And madness takes hold. So humanities downfall. Ryans madness. And the darkness of space. These three are The Black Corridor.

OK I know I need to get out more!!!!
Please tell me I'm not alone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I've read about Michael Moorcock's later work and am interested in reading it, I only really touched the main four Eternal Champion series (most of the elric novels/shorts, the two corum, the second hawkmoon and parts of the first, and the erekose books)

First read Stormbringer (yes, the last one first) near the end of primary school - imagine writing a book report on that one!

Unfortunately I'm not particularly well read on fantasy or sci-fi in general, so while I have touched on some of the greats I don't have great depth with any particular writer nor any secret finds of good unknown writers.

I have always loved Michael Moorcock's stuff, it beign the first serious fantasy I read and Elric being such a great tragic charatcer.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

I only really got in Moorcock after going to a Hawkwind gig, really diggin the music I found an album of theirs called The Chronicle Of The Black Sword.
The whole album is the story of elric. Highly recommend the live version, Live Chonicles. It's space/rock so might not be your bag.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Michael Moorcock is one of my favorite writers. It's sad that I've not been able to read any of his books for a while.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Do people here still find time to read? The only time I had spare to give the old grey matter abit of rest and relaxation was when I travelled to work on the trains. Now I'm a white van man and reading while driving doesn't go down too well with the police.
Before I quit the trains I started to read the latest of Raymond E.Feist's Riftwar novels.
When a friend purchaced his first book for me (magician) I found myself hooked by the opening lines on page one.

The storm had passed.
Pug run amid the rocks, finding scant purchase as he made his way among the tide pools.

To me, a few simple lines had cunjoued up images so vividly clear. The whole Riftwar saga is an exciting read, a must read for any fan of fantasy.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

With a new laptop even the trains isn't the same as it was for reading...i have a huge backlog

And yeah, even work at lunch used to read, now I shortedn lunch tto get stuff done! : (
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

I've just started into Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun saga, which is quite intriguing from the off. It has that particular mix of the recognizable and completely alien that I enjoy in fantasy (as the story progresses and the world starts to make sense and take shape in the mind those alien elements become part of the immersion).

I don't read an awful lot these days. It's not even that I don't have time to - it's more the fact that there are so many things vying for free-time attention that sitting down with a book becomes almost impossible.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

I know what you mean. For me , sittin down indoors to read just can't be done. Lunch breaks on sites can be 1 of two things. 1 sit with your co workers and talk about the same old crap you normally do when workin with e'm, in the vain hope that it will spark a small amount of intreresting conversation. Or 2, spend your half hour break immersed in a world away from the bitching that goes on in all jobs. I don't care if joe blogs talks a load of crap. I don't care if he's a topper. conversation at work always turns that way. Trouble is most of the books I read have magicians, or dragons etc on the cover. When I was an apprentice (some mumble mumble years ago) I got more piss taken out of me because I took Pratchet's books in. But luckily I was in my "DON'T GIVE A F**K" mood. that mood lasted ......... Hell I'm still in it HAHAHA
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, any fantasy books tend to get a comment - good natured teasing but then thats' the poitn, it'sd now a conversation and I'm not getting to read!

I am almost playing aroudn with writing and wtaching TV and multi-tasking that way. TV is quite a passive medium to shift your focus with, but reading really requires the concentration
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

What are you writing at the moment? short stories?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Right this second just entries for an RPG on another forum.

I have terrible lack of focus, so I have ideas for short stories and can never keep them going, a gamebook, a DM novel, and a main series of novels that if I ever do just one thing I want it to be that

Ah well, one day...one day...
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

you DM this other forum? Not sure I could get back into RPG's, I used to play AD&D a hell of a lot a few years ago. but wouldn't mind at havin a look if you don't mind posting the forum's address.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nope, new member - its a Lone Wolf based forum, it just has a very active RPG element to it, quite fun actually, and nice people

Though of ocurse these are still my peeps right here : )

If you follow http://www.projectaon.org for a view into the books and worlds, and the fan site is http://www.towerofthesun.com/