Xenomorph -Dmjava

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Crimson Ghost
Novice

Xenomorph -Dmjava

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Hey :)

In an idle moment - one of many - I was thinking how it might be fun to use the dmjava engine to remake Xenomorph. I thought it would be pretty simple as there isnt much to xenomorph, being lazy i thought that i
could just load the graphics from xenomorph into a suitable art package,convert them to gifs and then hey presto, but I cant seem to find a package that recognizes the file format used, anyone know how it can be done - I tried screen capture but it didnt work
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

That's a tricky one. I think Gambit suggested the English Amiga Board to me once, for people to help you extracting Amiga game images.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Doubtful that any package can simply "load" old Amiga game resources -- most of the time they were encrypted and compressed to.

As Ian says, you'll probably need to use some kind of memory ripper to get the images, but it's a long and laborious process. Check out that forum as suggested, though this is more useful than the link above:

http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=64
Crimson Ghost
Novice

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Cheers folks :) , um Ive never played it on the amiga just ST and recently on
pc - where it runs tooo fast or like a cow under emulation -

like i said before it was just an idle thought, i suppose i was half hoping some greater mind than mine had already done it, i had read somewhere that it used the dm engine, but maybe thats wrong
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

There are utilities for slowing the processor down, but I cant for the life of me think what to search for in Google.
Usually I dont have this problem as I use DosBox and can assign the number of processor cycles there.
Crimson Ghost
Novice

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Yup ive used dosbox but the computer im playing it on is pretty old -400mhz - and either you get good sound and juddery graphics or the opposite, it was the same when i tried to play arena under Emulation.

I had been playing xenomorph just using VDSM for the sound but its too speedy, and i got sick of it pretty quick - The bottom line is that back in the day I played xenomorph on the ST and thought it was pretty cool, I now realise that its a bit ropey,Dungeon master seems to me to have weatherd much better, but hell id like to finish xenomorph! - One day

I did download a prog called Cpu killer - or something similar - but not only did it not work but it was only a trial, gah! :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I started off with Xenomorph with exactly the same feeling (and didnt finish it wiether)... Years later here we are reliving DM instead...
Crimson Ghost
Novice

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Yup Games come and go but DM is for ever :D

I was having a go at the RTC original version of Dm the other night,I think i must know levels of it like i know Streets in my town, Thats either a good thing or a little Scary....bah! it makes me happy :D