NOOB question about new attack methods

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

NOOB question about new attack methods

Post by Trantor »

Ok, I'm already angry at myself for not being able to figure out something that seems rather basic to me. What I want to do is the following: I want a new weapon that is able to destroy the huge cave boulders found in DM2. So I cloned a weapon, gave it a new name and a new attack option, but I can't figure out how to achieve the desired effect. I supposed it would be possible to have a trigger that was operated by a special attack method, but this does not seem to be the case (or I'm just too stupid to find it out). I also tried cloning the cave boulder and experimented on the "convert" tab under "destroy", but to no effect. I also tried to make it destroyable by a fireball, gave it a strength differing from 0, still nothing. I also took a look at this thread:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=25830
but it didn't help me either. I don't really understand how relays work, but from the look of things, they wouldn't help me either, at least not in a way that seems logical to me.

It seems to me I am missing something really basic here, sorry.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You need to work in reverse.

-Create the special type of boulder (nothing fancy).
-Create a special type of action item (you don't assign it attributes, btw, just a uniquely named action wallitem type that is basically a wallitem)
-Create a specific action wallitem of your new type in the dungeon, that swaps that boulder type to null as a local convert action. -Create an attack method that activates any instance of your newly named action wallitem action
- create a weapon that uses the attack option

So, hopefully, when you swing the weapon, as an attack it activated the action wallitem globally. You onyl have one of these ,and it activates its effct (still in an action chain) to locally convert a boulder to nothing. It will take the weapin's destination as its target sicne the chain is not broken, and so opefully a boulder should go 'boom'!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thanks a lot Beo, that did work.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sweet, I was totally making that up from memory on the spot!

And trant, you are a mod and 34 posts short of four figures, you arent' allowed to be a NOOB - it just lets the side down dammit!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I guess you are right, but I just don't know anything about RTC editing. How about a "non-NOOB-but-deficitiary-in-some-areas-question" then?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Admit no weakness or else the tiny post coutners may realise it's all a trick and over-run us! :)