ENTOMBED - ALPHA DEMO RELEASED

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DSE
Lo Master

ENTOMBED - ALPHA DEMO RELEASED

Post by DSE »

ENTOMBED ALPHA DEMO RELEASED

Well here we go, please download the first alpha demo of Entombed. There are 3 levels to test and you can get support by emailing me on daveemmett@hotmail.com.

Its a free large file sharing site, so its not perfect.

ABOUT THE DEMO - THIS IS *NOT* A FINISHED GAME. THE AIM OF THE DEMO IS TO GET INITIAL THOUGHTS, PERFORMANCE FEEDBACK AND BUG REPORTS. THERE IS STILL A FAIR BIT LEFT TO DO ON THE GAME, BUT THERE IS ENOUGH FOR AN ALPHA DEMO.

ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD - PLEASE NOTE, WHEN YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW YOU WILL SEE A 'LOADING FILE INFO ... PLEASE WAIT'. THIS WILL DISAPPEAR INSIDE 20 SECONDS, THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD THEN APPEARS.

You need to have installed -

1. Microsoft .Net 1.1 redist/run-times
2. DirectX (Feb 2007 redist package from Microsoft or equivalent)
3. Ageia system software (the xp/vista installer works on windows 2000 also).

Old link - http://www.4shared.com/file/11634436/e0 ... ombed.html
New link - http://www.shadowtavern.com/Games/index.html

Thanks,
Dave.

Original discussion thread with current comments:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23582
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Coolio. I'm waiting until I can afford a new PC until I test this out. Looking forward to it! :D
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks and good luck. Although you might be supprised, its all about the GFX card, the rest of the machine isnt that important.

Thanks,
Dave.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, but my PC is five years old now, so it seems a bit daft puting a GTX engine into an old Fiesta. :-)
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

LOL, yep you are right.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Oh man, been Playing this and its great!
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

You will know you have finished the demo when you end up in a room with two ettins and no way out (3 levels in all).

things to try -

cooking meat
turning the lights on and off with some switches
chucking barrels into pits

I am glad you liked it. Can I ask what your frame rate was ? Anything you would like adding or changing ...
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

DSE wrote:You will know you have finished the demo when you end up in a room with two ettins and no way out (3 levels in all).

things to try -

cooking meat
turning the lights on and off with some switches
chucking barrels into pits

I am glad you liked it. Can I ask what your frame rate was ? Anything you would like adding or changing ...
I got to the room and was looking around for like 45 minutes
should have said it was the end of the demo ;)

The Battle system is a bit hard to use in higher resolutions because the attack methods become so small and hard to click fast, other than that it looked and played great!

I 'll check my FPS, but I expect it will be very high because I have high end RAM, a Core2Duo Processor, and a high end graphics card (Step below the new DirectX 10 Cards)

EDIT: My Fps stayed at 60.47 FPS for the entire time no matter what I did to create lag.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

the game locks the fps at your monitors refresh rate, so that sounds spot on (is it a flat panel monitor).

Thanks for your feedback,
Dave.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

DSE wrote:the game locks the fps at your monitors refresh rate, so that sounds spot on (is it a flat panel monitor).

Thanks for your feedback,
Dave.
It was an newer CRT, but Now just switched to a newer flat Panel. Gonna test it on that to see if the FPS stays at 60-65.

Edit: went from anywhere from 60 - to about 64 when staring at a wall with no lights
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Anyone managed to get this working under Windows Vista?

Just crashs on mine :(
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

If you can supply more info about your machine (hardware) and the point at which it crashes, also have you installed .net 1.1, etc ?
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Error code 104

My Machine is

AMD 3800 Dual Core
Asrock Motherboard
2GB DDR
Nvidia 7900 GT 256MB
Vista Ultimate Edition
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Nice setup mate !!!

I will look into this and come back to you very shortly.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Ok, is it possible for you to PM me your email address ? I will then send you a small application that you will need to run on your machine. If you then email me back the results I can see whats going on.

Thanks,
Dave.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

Hi - Any updates on Entombed?
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Moonhawk - Hi mate how are you ? I have been ultra busy with other software over the last week and then one of my fish died and then mothers day. Its been a bit mad and I havent had a chance to do anything with the other bits. I am really sorry that I havent responded to your email, I have been trying to reply for the last week, so sorry for that (very rude sorry). Your work looks awesome by the way, I just dont know when I am going to get some free time to put it in the game ...

Linflas - thanks for the gfx for the new character sheet. I did manage to get this about 50% done and it looks much better than mine, really nice work. I will try to get this finished also.

I have had around 130 downloads of the alpha demo and all the feedback has been really positive, its been busy but worth the effort. I intend on incorporating a load of new items that Moonhawk has created for me (thank you again) which should make it a much more rounded game. Also, I have started the spells system which is going to take a little time.

Thanks.

Moonhawk - sorry again for being a n0b.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

hey no problem - I have some more stuff for you - but i'll shelve it for the moment - perhaps i'll concentrate on textures for a while - see if I can get a few of those models looking better - it'd be a shame to put dull grey models in.

:D
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

:D
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

Hey DSE - couple of questions

1. Can you use spherical environment maps for reflective objects?
2. How are objects handled in Entombed (i.e. do compound objects need to be merged and mapped as one object - or are they mapped separately?)
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Just been bashing about on this, very very nice indeed. From the screenshots I assumed it was going to be full 3D, so I was very happy to find that it's the DM-style step movement (3D games give me motion sickness). As a demo showing the technical side of things It's very accomplished. From a gameplay point of view there are a few things, like the aforementioned small selection buttons, and I think inventories should come up instantly rather than fade in and out. Other than that a hardware cursor would be nice for more direct and precise control. Runs perfectly on my middle-aged PC (2.4 P4, 768MB, Radeon 9600).

Good stuff, and I can't wait to see more of it :D
Patto
Neophyte

Post by Patto »

The download link no longer works :( Can it be uploaded elsewhere? Really looking forward to trying this.

Many thanks,

Patto.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

There is a new link, sorry work has taken all my time in the last few months -

http://www.shadowtavern.com/Games/index.html
DSE
Lo Master

Re: ENTOMBED - ALPHA DEMO RELEASED

Post by DSE »

Two new videos on my website. I have started tinkering with this again after playing DM for the 1000th time :O) I have now incorporated soft shadows & self shadowing which adds a little extra to the environment. Also, the game can now be played as an FPS or a flick screen. Thought I would let you guys know.

PS Still looking for a 3D artist to create a creature for me. If anyone wants to make a couple of quid or do it for free :O) then contact me or post on here. Cheers.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

http://www.entombed.co.uk/
this is the working link
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey DSE, good to see you back! Those vids look pretty sweet, excellent work!

One thing I noticed is that I think you need to give the party some "depth" -- IE, you can back right up against a wall as if you're paper thin, even with four members, which looks really weird and feels wrong.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Hello :O)

Do you mean in the new vids, old vids or the playable demo ? Just wondering as the new fps version has a sphere for the party which should stop the party getting too close to a wall (reversing that is, you can get your eye balls as close to the wall as you like).

I am working on getting the party sphere larger to make it feel more natural (this has a knock on effect though as the 'picking' of items gets interferred with).

All good stuff. My next little project is getting multi lights working, deferred renderer for adding detail and effect, post processing effects and texture/model streaming.

Should be good and thanks for looking (as always) :O)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I meant in the new vids -- when you're messing about with the barrel and the club, the player(s) seem to not take up any space?

In the Self shadow demo, around 50 secs, when you look down at the barrel, there's no way you could get four people in the spot you're standing on ;-)
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

LOL, you are right but it may not be a quick fix (if at all). I will have a play. :O)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It might not be a major problem, after all DM had all sorts of cases for willing our suspension of disbelief. I guess it's just that since you've now switched to real 3D, certain aspects that clearly aren't "realistic" are now harder to swallow. ;-) We've been spoiled by all this modern game tech!

Anyway, maybe the team just get on really well and really like each other and don't mind being so close together... ;)