Doctor Who

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Des
Um Master

Doctor Who

Post by Des »

I have to admit I'm quite excited about the new series. I heard that following the leak of episode 1 on the 'net that people have been unimpressed, but I'll wait till Saturday and make my own mind up. Christopher Ecclestone is an excellent actor and a great choice for The Doctor, and Billie Piper was very good in a recent BBC drama so I reckon she should be fine too.

Dunno if and when it will be shown outside the UK, but Doctor Who despite its cheapo special effects is loved all over the world. I was only 6 months old when the first episode came out, so it was mainly during the Pertwee and Baker years that I hid behind the sofa :-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've only seen a couple of series of Doctor Who, mainly John Pertwee...I enjoyed it, but I've got a feeling this new series isn't gonna be exactly fantastic, given what kind of stuff people seem to like these days (and hence what the TV people make for them...still, this is Sci-Fi, which I generally like, but still...). I suspect that gone will be the hilarious rubber costumes of old, to be replaced by CGI monsters and a CGI Tardis with CGI effects...Still, this is a new series, not a remake of an old one, so I suppose it "needs" to be updated...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I've heard a synopsis of an episode, may be the first, and it sounds like a little bit silly, but at least in keeping with some of the Dr. Who plotlines of old : )

Eh, I'll watch a few before passing judgement....used to like it as a kid too!
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

I used to watch one particular Doctor, the 7th, Sylvester McCoy. It just happened that I switched to this programme when he was on and that's why I prefer him to the others.

I am not that much of a Dr. Who fan, especially when I watch the re-runs. But they are always good for a Sunday morning laugh. LOL

Anyhoo... the new Doctor is dishy Christopher Eccleston and since this will be a modern programme, I think it will be quite good.

The first episode is being shown in the UK next Saturday, 26th March at 7pm. So don't miss it if you are a Dr. Who fan.

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to the main site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeah, I thought he made a really good doctor...even thouh some of the stories I don't recall being as good ...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Too true. It seemed during McCoy's reign the Beeb were trying to kill off Doctor Who by putting it up against Corrie and using sub-standard, silly scripts. In the past top writers such as Terry Nation were used, and even (a few) decent actors such as the late Roger Delgado who was brilliant as "The Master". Ooh he was so eeevil :twisted: An even better baddie than Servalan in Blake's Seven.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I liked Pertwee, even with his seriousness. 'Reverse the polarity of the neutron flux!'

I always thought Eddie Izzard would be a good doctor. Or Stephen Fry!

The biggest baddie on TV at the moment is Paul Robinson off Neighbours. He's back!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Paul Robinson off Neigbours is back? Dont it make you feel good!

Regarding Doctor Who, I view it's return with some trepidation -- but it might be a worthy addition to Saturday night TV -- let's face it, it can't be any worse than the tripe on right now.

Did anyone see The Culture Show this week? A self confessed Doctor Who nerdfan went to see the BBC premier of the first episode and came out singing it's praises... but never trust the word of a nerd; I'm one and I wouldn't trust me...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Only 40 minutes to go.....

Dum-per-de-dum dum-per-de-dum dummm
Dum-per-de-dum dum-per-de-dum dummm
waaaahooooo, woooohooo!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I missed it! Luckily managed to record it.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I thought it was excellent. Both faithful to the original and modernised at the same time, and also pitched so that both adults and kids will enjoy. Some nice touches of humour too. Ecclestone and Piper were both very good and I found myself accepting them instantly as The Doctor and his assistant.

On the BBC3 feature that followed, they explained why there was no regeneration scene at the start. Basically it would confuse the kids!

Oh and straight after that was episode 1 of Farscape, another sci-fi show I love. I had no idea it was being repeated. Do check it out if you missed it first time round.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I agree, the new Doctor Who was cool :). Looking forward to the rest...I've heard a bit about future episodes in the series 'cause Chris Eccleston was on "Friday Night with Jonathan Ross" last night and said a few things that happen. But that first episode was cool...and pretty funny in places too...

"If you're an alien, why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."
:D

I also watched the thing on BBC3 afterwards. Didn't watch Premiére though (the first episode of Season 1 of Farscape) 'cause I've seen it before. Seen every episode of all four seasons. And the mini-series (PK Wars). Farscape is FANTASTIC :D.
Um Master

Post by Des »

I didn't realised BBC3 has been showing Farscape regularly on the after midnight slot. The rerun from the beginning is scheduled for regular showing on Sundays early evening.

Just watched part 1 of "Earthsea" which I harddrived (?) and I thought it was pretty decent - much better than I was expecting after it got terrible reviews. Part 2 tomorrow on C4 at 4.20.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Missed it aswell, thank goodness for those legal downloads from legal sites

Farscape is very good....a while ago I did a marathon through all four series and peacekeeper wars...mmm....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The new Doctor Who was great! I really enjoyed it.

It's obviously still aimed at kids, but I'm 33 and found it both a nostalgic rebirth and a worthy modern succesor to the classic series. Eccleston is simply spot on and had some great one-liners. I'm not 100% sure about Ms. Piper yet but certainly has acting ability and could prove to be a great asset. There were some dreadfully cheesy scenes: when a plastic arm attacks them at her house for example, but I enjoyed this in the spirit of the old 'rubber monsters and cardboard sets' rather than a polished super-slick sci fi showpiece.

Some of the editing was a bit weird and the lack of music in some spots seemed a mistake rather than a deliberate 'chill factor device'. The CG was adequate, nothing to write home about, but some of the effects to come in later episodes look rather exhilirating.

Bring it on!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, a whole year gone, one series down, and we're on series two already! Enjoyed series one immensely and am warming up to Neil Tennant -- sorry, David -- quite nicely.

Anyone else behaving like a kid and leaping behind the sofa?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol I never did that anyway...mind you, I'd only really watched a couple of series that we have on video when I was a kid. Yes I agree - David Tennant is a good fun Doctor...I kinda figured he would be after that silly grin he gives after saying "Oh yes - Barcelona." at the end of "The Parting of the Ways".
Looks like a freaky episode tonight - clockwork monster-people things with scary faces. Wonder how scary it'll be compared to the gas-mask people in Empty Child/Doctor Dances of the last series.
Looking forward to it! :
Um Master

Post by Des »

I initially thought David Tennant was a bit young to play the Doctor, but he'd been great so far. I though last week's was a cracking episode and no way does Elisabeth Sladen look 58!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

58? Wow, she looked amazing, I had no idea she was that old!

I wonder how old Davros is looking these days?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, haven't watched the new ones cause they came out of no where for a non telly watcher like me, so downloaded them and will watch the first few in quick succession

What I didn't liek abotu the christmas epiosde that re-introduced him though was the fatc you had to have seen the children in need link to actually understand what the crap was goign on! That and the fact they decided not to have the doctor in it most of the time
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Re: Doctor Who

Post by linflas »

Des wrote:Dunno if and when it will be shown outside the UK
well, i had never heard about this Doctor since i read your post here, but the new series just arrived yesterday on french channel France4.
And well, i must admit it was a bit weird !! 2m30 tall aliens invaded 10 downing street, and took human bodies for camoufalge. but to fit into them, they had to compress there own "gases" so they fart "calcium-vapour" during all the episode... :roll: and Doctor Who killed them with vinegar and... an egg...
i don't know if i'll follow this series, honestly ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, it *is* aimed primarily at children!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

So, who's been watching the new series? What do you make of the new assistant. I can't make my mind up about her yet.

I haven't watched this weeks one yet -- I'll catch it tomorrow on BBC3, but enjoyed the Dalek 2 parter, even if the human/dalek was bloody ridiculous.

I love the theme they've been using for the revival, but I can't help but get goose bumps when hearing the original one. Check it out:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt_hill/ ... iginal.mp3
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The new series is excellent so far and I think Martha is great assistant.

The trailer for the next episode (2 weeks time coz of the Eurovision Song Contest) looked very exciting and there was a glimpse of John Simm (from Life on Mars) looking evil - rumour is he's... *gulp* ... THE MASTER!!! MWAHAHAHAHAA!

You can see the trailer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I'm loving it so far and also think Martha is great :).
In the end-of-episode trailer thingy, there was another old face popped up too...I didn't think he was meant to be in it till the final two-parter (ie series finale). That's what I'd read anyway. Unless some of those clips were of the series finale, though that seems a bit premature as we've only just had the sixth episode so are (omg) about halfway through the series...already...arrgh...
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

I've seen a couple of the old Doctor Who's and some of the new, It's pretty cool how they tied the new series to the old with some of the older characters. I love old British TV series :D
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Just watched the trailer again whilst sober. It contains excerpts from all 6 of the remaining episodes, not just the next 1, so I think Ameena's right that John Simm is in the last 2 only.

There's some doubt over him really being The Master, as he is officially playing a character called "Mister Saxon" - but this is an anagram of "Master No. Six" so maybe, in the spirit of "Torchwood"...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That trailer looks great...! And John Simm as the master would be very, very cool....

Just watched this weekend's episode -- pretty good. Officially liking Martha now -- wasn't sure at first. Mark Gatiss was fab as always. and the CGI was pretty good.

Can you imagine showing the original doctor who's to kids growing up on the new stuff.... they'd think it ridiculous!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

John Simm? Never heard of him...I was referring to Jack Harkness (played by John Barrowman). My dad reckons Saxon is the Master too. It seems that's the main rumour but whether or not it's actually true I suppose we'll have to wait and find out. I'm happy not to know until it's actually revealed since I can't stand spoilers of any kind.
Um Master

Post by Des »

Sometimes the line between speculation and spoilers is a thin one. John Simm is the star of Life on Mars ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Ma ... evision%29 ) the ending of which was the subject of huge speculation and a closely guarded secret by the beeb.

P.S. Wikipedia has more on Mr. Saxon here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Saxon#.22Mr._Saxon.22