Request:- Writing.

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kelly
Artisan

Request:- Writing.

Post by Kelly »

Hey.

I'm doing a new "mirror" interface for the champions in DMJ, (part of the DMII modifications) which basically shows the heroes in stasis chambers.
When a champion is resurrected, a new display appears which shows the champions statistics, inventory and so on.
I also would like it to display a kind of backgroud about the hero, where he/she comes from, why they are adventurers, what brought them to the dungeons an so on.
I was wondering if any of you would be willing to write a short paragraph about these champions, stating whom they are and what life they used to lead.

It doesn't have to fall in with any kinda theme - just something to describe who/what they are.

Unfortunately, writing isn't my strong point, but some of you have a knack for it. :wink:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Making up little mini biographies for a bunch of dungeon heroes? Sounds cool - consider yourself plus one volunteer for writing :).

Post by Tom Hatfield »

You might start at the Inn of Lost Souls. Cows has put a lot of work into this already. Maybe you could garner ideas.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Yeah, I'd been thinking of going over all those paintings once again with my new skills too.. but never enough time for the 1001 different things I want to do.. ugh..

but you're right, at least half those characters have a bio done for them now.. still need the other half if I ever go back to finish them.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sophia also had ideas for the CSB characters

Of course, there's all the DMJava characters that no-one has touched!
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

The DMJ characters, I've noticed, are rarely used. In Germanny's GFX packs, he supplied alternate images, mostly fantasy portraits. I think these will most likely be used the most.

I would also like some kinda background story on those as well, (sometime) but DMII is the next project on the list of things to do.

@Ameena, if you get the time, I would love to read some of your ideas.
There's no rush for anything, I've still to go through the last of the Java code anyway. But if you fancy it, then please! :D

@Cows', the paintings and bio for those champions is really great. :wink:
Would it be okay to incorporate some of these ideas into DMJ?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Which characters need bios done? Normal DM chars like Iaido and Boris and all that or something? If you can lemme know which ones, when I get time I'll write some short, random little life story for each one and you can see what you think :).
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Ameena, I would like all the DMII heroes doing, but that's up to you. If you just want to do a few of them, as and when you get the time, then that's fine too.

Like I said, at the moment I don't have a particular theme that I need you to stick to, so whatever you write I will work around to fit it in. Only the actual interface has been completed, I can always modify the rest after - like the mirrors and such.

Thanks for offering to do this, I really appreciate it. It will add a new feel to the way the choosing of champions works, plus gain an understanding into the heroes' life. I think this will go well into DMJ.

Cheers! :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have alot of creativity commitments at the moment, but if I get some inspiration and time I can also try to throw a few ideas at you and see if there is anythign you like!
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Please Beo' - that would be great!

Any ideas that you might have, whether it's to do with champions, or just some random idea that's just popped into your head, I'll be interested in.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Righty then...when I get some time, I'll start on character bios for the DM2 chars, brief stories I'll think up based on their pics (Torham too or just the others?). Do you just want a background, or some reason for how they ended up "asleep" in the cavern where you awaken them from (unless there's already one given in the game story background, but I don't think so...)?
Anyway, when I get 'em done I'll paste 'em into a PM and send it to you, unless you'd prefer it as a Word file in an e-mail attachment, in which case feel free to PM me your e-mail address :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aww, we don't get to see your hard work?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hard? Heh, I don't think it'll be that tough. Well, I could post 'em here once they're done if you like...I'm just used to posting requested stuff straight to the person who requested it, that's all ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I say that then sent one directly to Kelly anyway :D

Same here, I can post anything once it's finished here too if anyone's interested.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, I thought I had said yes already.. :D

take what you like from it.
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

@Ameena - If you want to post your ideas here, so others can read it too, then whatever. I can always copy into a txt doc myself. If not, I've sent you a PM with my email, I'm not fussed either way.

Yes, if you could just write something of how they got imprisoned there in the first place, would be great. Perhaps combine their backgrounds with the fact that maybe the dungeons are linked to each of the heroes lifes' in someway. Perhaps some kind of evil swept the land and each of the heroes are leaders of a certain village or tribe, each trying to fulfil ones' own quest.

Hmm, I dunno, but I'm sure you'll come up with something, I lack the creativity!

@Beo' - Uggo the Mad! Excellent, I like it. Please, want more. :lol:
Don't worry about how long the descriptions will be, I will always work round them. I look forward to reading more!

@Cow's - Ooops, have I already asked! :? My head's full of holes on a good day - thanks again anyway! :D
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

beowuuf wrote:Sophia also had ideas for the CSB characters
Hehe.. I started to write a CSB story...
Then I got distracted, and onto the "pile of stuff I'm never going to finish" it went!

Oh well. :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe sounds a bit like my DM story...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heh, and mine!

Part way through level three, edited version up to chapter four I think...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I started one story usng my four-person party, in which I got as far as them descending the stairs to Level Four, and then later started another story of my two-person party (both chars were in my four-person one too), in which I don't think they got out of the HoC...
I will probably get on with it at some point. Probably. If I remember. And get time. And can be arsed. And my comic strip too. Maybe. And maybe some more poems. Or something. And this other story I was doing with a friend. And that thing I started with Cows. And umm...anything else I've got on the go that I haven't gone back to in years-plural ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, know that feeling :D

Was that story the one I saw - cause that was pretty cool!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Umm, I dunno...to which story are you referring? I mean, I've got a fair few on the go, as you can see, lol ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The one with the two sides looking for the pieces of the staff - you had one huge crushy characters, and you had two brother dark mages
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohh yeah that was the Sorc War...we'll probably carry on with that at some point, I dunno...but it changed a hell of a lot from the version you read, hehe. Still, if we ever get on with it, I'll let ya know (if I remember ;)).